Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2006, 04:38   #1

Boat: Full Moon (Island Trader 37)
pirate Spell Check

Maybe I am being a tad anal but is it possible to have a spell checker on this site? Nothing destroys my confidence in someone's advice like poor spelling & grammar......Just a pet peeve of mine.
Old 24-02-2006, 12:16   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
And to whom's English are ya goin to check it against. English Inglish, Kiwi Unglush, Oz Anglash or American Eeenglesh We all spell and pronounce words different. Colour=color, tom"arr"toe Tom"aa"toe. I'm crook=Kiwi for not feeling well=American for a theif.
So don't get too woried about spell and grammer. It is not allways becoze the writar carnt spell and tork right nor now his granmarr.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 12:59   #3

Alan.

Your witful Kiwi sense of humor, never fails. Does it?

Have you ever acted out any Monty Python scenes with any of your friends?

I bet you'd be the life of the party?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 15:00   #4
cruiser

Many people who are experts in every facet of cruising may not have had the formal training you had in corporate life.

Don't let spelling errors, typos and even some downright strange grammar fool you.

There are some incredibly intelligent people on here. I've learned a lot... spelling or no spelling.

Also, no amount of time spent working on Phonics will be able to make up for the real life experience people have on here.

PS: I have typos all the time. It's because I'm posting quickly, usually and in the middle of some huge project on the boat. Crafting a perfect document is sometimes 2nd to getting the message out in a timely manner.

My too sents.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 15:46   #5

Boat: Full Moon (Island Trader 37)
pirate

My apologies to everyone on the forum. I knew it was a mistake as soon as I posted the spell check thing. I got up on the wrong side of the berth or something. Again, my apologies.
Old 24-02-2006, 15:56   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Nah Jerry, no appolagy neccessary. Actually I wouldn't mind a spell checker. Often I think "now how do you spell?" so I do think it would be a handy tool, but I have a feeling the software doesn't allow for it or something. Gord will be more informative about that.
One issue I have personaly, I have dislexia. So I will get certain works mucked up. Especially if I type too fast or am tired or something. But I hope people don't judge the intellect of my posts by the wdors begni fuddled

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 16:29   #7

Man........?

Maybe they need to add spell check to this posting program?

I'm only kidding around Alan!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 24-02-2006, 17:02   #8

Boat: Ensenada 20
To throw in a temporary side turn to this thread, the suggestion about a spell checker reminds that our new board owner was going to make additions/improvements to the board; anyone know what those might be and when they might happen??
Lightfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 17:07   #9

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Spell check

Actually I thought it was a good idea as I often have typos and I miss them when reviewing.
Some more common differences: aluminum aluminium, color colour,
net nett. There are some words that do not exist in US English: Spouting, ballistrade, architrave, skirting, mudguard, bonnett, boot, both on a car, stroppy, skite, pluto / pluty, accelorator, flossied, alsation, bach, flat, both buildings, berk,bickies, bit of fluff.
These are just a few examples to illustrate how limited North American English is.When the guy next to you at the dock always wants to borrow stuff, he is a bludger.
The guy down the dock has a very pluty cat that he likes to skite about, but between you and me I think he is a bit of a wanker, and a bludger to boot. He's been acting stroppy even since he had a run in with the pommies, to muck plonk if you ask me.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 17:48   #10
Kai Nui

Working in an industry where abreviations are the norm, I often use non standard short hand when I type, out of habit. I have the spell checker set on my email. It drives me nuts. I am fine as long as people get my point.
Old 26-02-2006, 03:06   #11

Boat: Privilege 37
There is absolutely no need for a specific spell checker for this forum. If you want to spell check - download iespell and it will then be available for anything on explorer. I loaded it some time ago, but rarely find the time to use it.
Old 26-02-2006, 11:31   #12

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
spel'n

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rest can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Frkenig amzanig huh?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~_/)....................><)))0>
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2006, 12:26   #13
Kai Nui

Well done Delmarrey. I have seen that before, and I know you are correct. It falls in the same catagory as how we learn language. We learn phrases, not words. The same is true with music, and even morse code. It becomes painfully obvious when, after learning code at about 20wpm, you try to listen to slow code 5wpm, or try to read a paragraph made up completely of unfamiliar, or nonsequencial words. It akes far more effort. I recently heard an interview with a Poet Loriat. He pointed out certain artistic license taken by an author writing in all lower case. It was clear just by listening that the first lower case I that was encountered was a diversion causing the reader to break from the flow of the poem.
Old 28-02-2006, 00:29   #14

delmarrey

C'mon ,mate,every one kowns tehre is an a in fekarnig.Ya not on the trpus are ya
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2006, 00:39   #15

Mudnut is very funny!!