Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2012, 07:57   #31
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Thread Format Change

Just out of curiousity - did I hijack this thread?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 08:04   #32
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming Yachtsman View Post
As a fairly recent example of a thread that started out with a specific question, wandered a bit, branched off in a slightly different direction when another member had a similar issue, then quietly died, see http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ing-73333.html.
How can you not like that thread? You had a problem, after fighting off Loyd, I diagnosed it, you did the fix and your problem was solved?!

The problem in that thread was that people who have no clue whatsoever, start fighting my contributions (I understand from other CF engineer members that I am not alone) like if they invented the scientific principles the product is based upon. They come with outrageously wrong info. I do understand that the problem is me... they want to bring me down... but that doesn't change the fact that what they write is wrong and as long as the OP does not have the knowledge to recognize that, he/she is lost in the fight.

This same person made me divert my info on trouble shooting and modifications etc. to my blog, where I can erase him. He had completely killed a thread of me that I had to redo on my blog.

I would suggest that CF creates a forum-section for specific help requests where the OP has delete rights in his/her thread and where the expert CF advisers moderate by deleting all wrong info or sabotaging posts.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 08:34   #33

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Just out of curiousity - did I hijack this thread?
I only see a half dozen banana's.
Old 18-02-2012, 04:56   #34

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
How can you not like that thread? You had a problem, after fighting off Loyd, I diagnosed it, you did the fix and your problem was solved?!
Nick,
I picked that thread because it exemplified many of the concepts in this thread and because it was very fresh in my mind, not because I didn't like it. My description of it didn't say anything particulary derogatory about it other than it "wandered a bit".

I understand your frustration with one specific argumentive contributor and sincerely appreciate your perseverance through the end. That's part of life on CF!
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 21:00   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
The biggest issue is for the poster to decide when to start a new threead or post in thread to influence the direction of the topic. Generally if the OP chimes in with a request to get back on-topic the population tries to comply and the mods are always there if the Oap has any real issue with drifting.

General Sailing, off-topic and confessional tend to have high thread drift.

The tech topics seem to stay on topic better until two guys with polar views have a smarty-pants brawl then you can get way out there.

The original question is always answered satisfactorilly in about 15-20 posts but thread drift often opens up adjacent discussions where even the old hands learn stuff.

Over the years many suggestions have been made for thread drift including designating subject matter "experts" with some higher authority. Thankfully when I was a mod these ideas always got voted down. There are several other sites with a core clique. These sites do not grow much and there is often a hard time "fitting in."

CF continues to grow robustly. Some leave for good, some leave and lurk, many visit several fora on a regular basis. It's all good and part of our great tapestry of a forum.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 22:54   #36

Boat: OPB
OK I'm a total noob here, I hardly cruise, I mostly race. I stumbled on this forum completely by accident (I was looking for info on lithium ion batteries). I love sailing and I dream of taking off and chasing the horizon, so I find CF extremely entertaining. I barely read my sailing magazines anymore. For me all the drifting, hijacking, and immaturity is no different than the conversations at the yacht club bar after a race. I think it adds to the character of CF and shouldn't be discouraged much more than it is now. I have read one thread where the OP totally kept a lid on the shenanigans and really kept things on track. That thread was very educational, and short. I think everything was figured out in less than 20 posts. Other times the OP totally loses control and seems to fade away or give up and abandon the thread.

You guys hit on the problem, it's know-it-alls (by which I mean know nothing's) who start bickering with more knowledgable members who are trying to help the OP. I've been lurking for about 3 mos. and by now have a pretty good idea of who knows and who's a crank, but for those who don't I can see it being a problem. I mostly read the engineering stuff, so I see a lot of it.

I notice there are lots of descriptors on members ID's what you need is a way for members to give a "crank" rating. Sort of like that quora thing. Maybe a thumbs up thumbs down thing that sticks like ratings on EBay. So if you post something good and useful you end up with a lot of thumbs up or likes, and if you post bad info or say stupid disruptive stuff you collect a lot of thumbs downs or dislikes. Member managed no problem for moderators.

I saw one real engineer tear some guy up, and Gord go after Zeehag over bleach, and it really makes my CF experience enjoyable. It's true that sometimes it makes finding the information you are searching for hard to find, but c'mon cruising is about the journey not just getting there. I love going down the rabbit hole and finding the answer 150 posts later! If you need answers fast, control your thread, or go to Wikipedia. But that's the racers way, not the cruises way IMO.

Now in the true CF spirit, what's " popcorn" all about? And can someone point me to the guns and anchors thread, cuz that's got to be a good read.
I.Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 10:55   #37

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.Grind View Post
Now in the true CF spirit, what's " popcorn" all about?
That sitting back waiting for whatever happens next. AKA on standby, IMO.