Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2016, 11:18   #1

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)
Waste of bandwidth

Hello,
I as most of us are abroad time to time and roaming with limited bandwidth. What irritates are autorunning video adds and it instanly makes me to skip any page where ever they happen to be. It's Piracy as they steal my bandwidth.. So please consider this if CF has any influence of the adds on this forum.

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 15:38   #2

Re: Waste of bandwidth

If you've got a smartphone or tablet, try the CF app for no ads.

I don't use the CF website because of that signup form that pops up non-stop which makes the website pretty much unusable. (chrome) Actually i think turning off javascript does the trick but still, that popup is broken. ie the js needs to be upgraded.

Btw for getting rid of most ads you can try the chrome ad-blocker extension.
hp60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 22:31   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

You could spend 15 bucks a year to become a supporting member and then turn the ads off in your Control Panel.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 23:34   #4

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
You could spend 15 bucks a year to become a supporting member and then turn the ads off in your Control Panel.
yep - worked for me using Chrome
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 23:37   #5

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Or you could use AdBlock Plus...
Old 06-12-2016, 23:45   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

Ad block and Ghostery removes all ads I choose not to be exposed to. Makes the whole web a lot more useful, and doesn’t waste (steal) my bandwidth.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:11   #7

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Ad block and Ghostery removes all ads I choose not to be exposed to. Makes the whole web a lot more useful, and doesn’t waste (steal) my bandwidth.
This and most sites are financed with adds. The site owners thou could do something to prevent the annoying ones on their sites. Addbloggers just counteract against their financing.. Me thinks anyway. And btw, I'm using a laptop.

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 03:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
This and most sites are financed with adds. The site owners thou could do something to prevent the annoying ones on their sites. Addbloggers just counteract against their financing.. Me thinks anyway. And btw, I'm using a laptop.

BR Teddy
I confess that I run Ad-Blocker Plus... BUT I do turn it off for sites that I frequent unless their ads are particularly troublesome. Still searching for a way to block those "infotainment"-type ads on some sites ("These before/after pictures of ____ will shock you!")

This site runs on vBulletin; it's theoretically possible that the owners could create a second low-bandwidth template, but it would take effort.

For us terrestrial users, bandwidth is relatively cheap and plentiful, and advertisers like to use it.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:18   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I confess that I run Ad-Blocker Plus... BUT I do turn it off for sites that I frequent unless their ads are particularly troublesome. Still searching for a way to block those "infotainment"-type ads on some sites ("These before/after pictures of ____ will shock you!")

This site runs on vBulletin; it's theoretically possible that the owners could create a second low-bandwidth template, but it would take effort.

For us terrestrial users, bandwidth is relatively cheap and plentiful, and advertisers like to use it.
Have you look down at the bottom left of the page where you have the options of "Cruisers Forum v2.0","Cruisers Forum v1.0", and "Mobile" ?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:22   #10

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:

BR Teddy
No, the probably could not do anything.

They sign up with a number of services that deliver ads, and those services have requirements and specifications for the ads that they run...dimensions, byte size, length of animation, etc. The ads get run on hundreds of other sites as well.

CF would constrain their own ad revenue if they even tried to limit what ads run. All so you can save $15? Gimme a break.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:57   #11

Quote:
Hello,
I as most of us are abroad time to time and roaming with limited bandwidth. What irritates are autorunning video adds and it instanly makes me to skip any page where ever they happen to be. It's Piracy as they steal my bandwidth.. So please consider this if CF has any influence of the adds on this forum.

BR Teddy
This forum runs on servers. Servers are hardware with motherboards, processors, memory, diskspace and consume bandwidth on their end as well. You are using the sites bandwidth to access and use the site.

If these resources are hosted and maintained onsite, then someone is paying for the hardware, the building, the power, the network connection, software licensing and administration. Even if this is hosted, someone is paying the storage and hosting fees.

Someone is paying for these operating costs. Either the adds pay the bills or we do. There is no third option.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:26   #12

Quote:
BR Teddy
Exactly! If cruisersforum wouldn't have such terribly intrusive ads (incl. pop up window) I wouldn't have the need to block their ads. If all of you friendly posters would move on to another less commercial site I would follow immediately.

Btw. 15/year is a bit much for my very occasional use (this is not the only site I visit and it (would) add up...)
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:45   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Have you look down at the bottom left of the page where you have the options of "Cruisers Forum v2.0","Cruisers Forum v1.0", and "Mobile" ?
I did not know that. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver
Hello,

BR Teddy
This forum runs on servers. Servers are hardware with motherboards, processors, memory, diskspace and consume bandwidth on their end as well. You are using the sites bandwidth to access and use the site.

If these resources are hosted and maintained onsite, then someone is paying for the hardware, the building, the power, the network connection, software licensing and administration. Even if this is hosted, someone is paying the storage and hosting fees.

Someone is paying for these operating costs. Either the adds pay the bills or we do. There is no third option.
bit of a derail - there's been a lot of discussion in online publishing regarding ads. Users often object to the ads, but there are a few points where they have a valid gripe: inappropriate ads, offensive ads, and overly intrusive ads (annoying, bw-hogging auto-run videos, flyovers etc). There was a time when some adds were out-and-out ugly/gross - think of some disease/weightloss/facelift ads that used to be more common. Nasty.

Of course, adblockers are now available, and it's very contentious. Are we now "stealing" content by blocking ads, or have the sites and advertisers shirked their duty to readers to ensure that ads are appropriate and inoffensive? Think of print magazines - lots of ads, but they usually "fit" with the magazine subject, and are attractive. The ads are "curated", you might say.

This sort of curation is slowly coming to online ads. As I mentioned, the gross-out ads (which were apparently deliberate) have gone out of favour. With more advertisers moving to online, it's becoming more feasible to fine-tune product ads to the most suitable sites.

Summary - online ads should be getting more appropriate and less annoying as things evolve. Probably won't take any less bandwidth, though.
[/derail]
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:32   #14

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
This and most sites are financed with adds.
No. This site, just like all “social media” services run on us. It runs on our free contributions, on our content, on our time. This is the most important aspect of what users/contributors give (pay) to the owners.

I choose not to be bombarded with messages about buying the latest crap all the time, and I particularly dislike it when they are foisted on me at my own cost (my bandwidth that I pay for).

Here’s a solution: If the owners of this site want me to view all their ads, then pay me. Our whole society has been bamboozled. We have been trained to pay them so we can have the privilege of advertising their crap. We pay extra to wear labels on clothes, cars and sails. This is free advertising for the owners.

They should be paying us, not the other way around.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:38   #15

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
No. This site, just like all “social media” services run on us. It runs on our free contributions, on our content, on our time. This is the most important aspect of what users/contributors give (pay) to the owners.

I choose not to be bombarded with messages about buying the latest crap all the time, and I particularly dislike it when they are foisted on me at my own cost (my bandwidth that I pay for).

Here’s a solution: If the owners of this site want me to view all their ads, then pay me. Our whole society has been bamboozled. We have been trained to pay them so we can have the privilege of advertising their crap. We pay extra to wear labels on clothes, cars and sails. This is free advertising for the owners.

They should be paying us, not the other way around.
I'm liking the above way of thinking. Though it's far from new, or news, to me. Still...

And the info tips in this thread are things that are pretty good to know too.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote