Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Forum Tech Support & Site Help
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2022, 13:54   #31

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: What do the stars mean under the username?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newb2020 View Post
NewB here.

No stars and 1 green box.
I guess everyone gets one for free . I see you, "will receive many thanks." Maybe it's a form of anticipatory affirmation
Old 11-01-2022, 14:42   #32

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I guess everyone gets one for free . I see you, "will receive many thanks." Maybe it's a form of anticipatory affirmation
Actually, there are posters with stars who have no green boxes. I want to inundate them with thanks, you know, to make the world a better place. Call it the new green movement.

Mike, you got any theories on what the different shades of green mean?
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 14:51   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
Actually, there are posters with stars who have no green boxes. I want to inundate them with thanks, you know, to make the world a better place. Call it the new green movement.

Mike, you got any theories on what the different shades of green mean?
So, maybe the CF AI is ranking us in ways only it understands .

Yeah... I wondered about the shading as well. The first five are darker green. Then a lighter green. Mysteries within mysteries.
Old 11-01-2022, 14:56   #34
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
So, maybe the CF AI is ranking us in ways only it understands .

Yeah... I wondered about the shading as well. The first five are darker green. Then a lighter green. Mysteries within mysteries.
First one is lighter green and the next five are darker - 'cause they are right justified; it's good to be right
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 15:04   #35

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
First one is lighter green and the next five are darker - 'cause they are right justified; it's good to be right
[Checks Wotname profile... notices one bright green box and four dark green boxes...] So you have an 80% rightness coefficient then...
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
Old 11-01-2022, 15:14   #36

Quote:
[Checks Wotname profile... notices one bright green box and four dark green boxes...] So you have an 80% rightness coefficient then...
Wottie checks Wotname profile and notices one bright green box and FIVE dark green boxes making six green boxes ... hanging on the profile.

Maybe one of us has been trolled by a leftie
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 12-01-2022, 04:33   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I had an auspicious start on CF....saw the inside of the sin bin on more than one occasion....

I hafta climb outa da hole, before I can climb da mountain..
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 11:25   #38

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Where are the “splendidly helpful” and “have much to be proud of” definitions to be found?

Hover you cursor over the squares and a text box will show up.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 11:31   #39

Sorry Jim, I wasn't trying to be a smart @ss earlier. I thought you were asking about the definitions of these phrases; as in, what do the various statements mean? They all seem to say more or less the same thing...

I completely missed that you were asking how to view them. Sorry.
Old 12-01-2022, 11:43   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Hover you cursor over the squares and a text box will show up.

Adelie is just really helpful.
Mike Oreilly has much to be proud of.

But more importantly

DMF sailing is a helpful poster.

I feel so much better about today just reading all this.

And you should, too, Mike.
Old 12-01-2022, 11:51   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Wottie checks Wotname profile and notices one bright green box and FIVE dark green boxes making six green boxes ... hanging on the profile.

Maybe one of us has been trolled by a leftie
Clearly someone trolled you, because unlike with other people's green boxes over which I've hovered, hovering over your one-light-five-dark yields no text box! As though they were holograms, or optical illusions!! Or Fake Boxes. Strange...from your posts, it would seem that you have much to be proud of!

EDIT: I get it now. You have to hover motionlessly, and never click.

Wottie, you are "splendidly helpful."

Glad we got to the bottom of that.
Old 12-01-2022, 12:49   #42

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newb2020 View Post
NewB here.

No stars and 1 green box.
If you hover over the box it will probably say you will receive many thanks. I thinks that’s the quote for 0-5 or 0-10 “Thanks”.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 14:20   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
If you hover over the box it will probably say you will receive many thanks. I thinks that’s the quote for 0-5 or 0-10 “Thanks”.
Adelie, I sincerely appreciate your help explaining those little green boxes here--You have been splendidly helpful--and not to drag this thread on endlessly, but can you elaborate a bit on the difference between dark green boxes and light green boxes?
Old 12-01-2022, 15:10   #44

Quote:
Adelie, I sincerely appreciate your help explaining those little green boxes here--You have been splendidly helpful--and not to drag this thread on endlessly, but can you elaborate a bit on the difference between dark green boxes and light green boxes?
Likewise - I'm curious too!
Old 12-01-2022, 16:04   #45

What do the stars mean under the username?

So, I was bored, so I decided to try and find the answer to this green shaded mystery. My DuckDucking turned up references to the reputation system used in vBulletin.

According to a few sources, reputation markers are gained after hitting each threshold of positive-points score. The default number is 100 to achieve a little square. I don't know if CF has adjusted this default.

BUT, after achieving five squares, vBulletin then requires twice as many positive points to get the next square. So I interpret that the light squares are worth twice as many points as the darker squares. And that explains why they are a different colour.

I believe all of this is adjustable by the Admin, including the possibility of giving out negative reputation points. Apparently CF only allows for positive scores, and this appears to be automatically assigned based on the number of "Thanks" one receives.

P.S. Man, I sure miss my boat...