Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Forum Tech Support & Site Help
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 09:42   #31

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Why Only Paypal and Not Any Credit Card ?

For me it's not the deal about Paypal so much as it is that it is automatic reoccurring each year. There is no need for that other than guaranteeing the site gets the money each year. I do not want anyone going into my account without my permission. I brought this issue up a month or so ago and really fell on deaf ears. I would like to support the site but not on those terms. So moderators and owners of the site...READ THESE POSTS of people wanting to give you money!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 09-11-2011, 09:44   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

The owner, Andy, does read the site very frequently. Chances are good he has already read this thread.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:51   #33

For those wondering why PayPal is despised so much there are thousands of posts on an Ebay/Paypal site, google it and go beyound the company sites.

For one thing, PP is really an escrow account, holding funds due a seller. They determine how or when funds are disbursed based on their evaluations which are not made public, in other words, they are free to keep your money and earn interest on it, which is illegal in many states. I have a friend who is having funds kept for 21 days and has an Ebay account identified as having had complaints, by the statictics shown there was one complaint out of 109 transactions.

The real issue is that high volume dealers get funds quicker as they are making money off such activity and if you are not, they make it up on the float of your money.

Other issues are that they will almost always side on the side of a buyer. You can buy an item, say you did not receive it and you will get your money back. They say that sellers should use the tracking system and pay more for shipping.

Just google them and you'll find tons of complaints. I won't use them either!
Old 09-11-2011, 09:53   #34

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philsboat View Post
I had a Paypal account but cancelled it because of all the spam that came saying there were problems with my Paypal account.
As soon a I cancelled the account the spam stopped.

I must admit, I do get this constantly. It looks like a Paypal account and wants to know my personal information. Another member mentioned that because Paypal was on the stock exchange, they would not defraud people...Ha!!!...If the percentage is small and their voices are small, why would they care?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 09-11-2011, 10:05   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Paypal is part of Ebay which is a large NASDAQ listed company with a lot to lose if they defraud people. While I don't consider any large corporation my buddy, they are at least as trustworthy as my bank or credit card companies (which is not saying much but is the only alternative).
Carl
Sorry but the list of Nasdaq (or whatever place) listed companies or large corporations defrauding people is far too long to fit in here....
Old 09-11-2011, 10:08   #36
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
For me it's not the deal about Paypal so much as it is that it is automatic reoccurring. There is no need for that other than guarenteeing the site gets the money each year. I do not want anyone going into my account without my permission. I brought this issue up a month or so ago and really fell on deaf ears. I would like to support the site but not on those terms. So moderators and owners of the site...READ THESE POSTS of people wanting to give you money!
Obviously, your complaint is incorrect . . . the lead admin for CF responded to you in that thread: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ort-70280.html

She has also pointed out in this thread that a member can use PayPal to process their credit card if that's their preference, and informed you in the other thread that a reminder that your term is approaching expiration would be sent to you, leaving you with a simple decision: If you wish to cancel the recurring charge, one click takes care of it.

Cruisers Forum is just one of about two dozen special interest websites under the Social Knowledge umbrella. We would require a voluntary staff of hundreds just to notify each member at renewal time and to process the transaction if we went to the opt-in model.

Would you voluntarily contribute countless hours out of your life to help manage such a system? No? Then the opt-out model (which most people don't object to) is what we're left with to manage things, and if there are special requests to help straighten something out, it doesn't require more than one person to do it.

TaoJones
Closed Thread