Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2012, 07:06   #106

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Re: 1 Dead - 2 Rescued. Ferry Mows Down Boat in Fog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Pretty much agree with you there David, except for the "they simply didn't give a sh#t".
Rather, I think they were so incompetent that they did not consider another vessel to be the area, and even LIKELY to be in that area.
On the HSS ferry, there was, as has been pointed out, virtually no look out.
The VDR recordings of the radar screen dumps clearly show the fishing boat, and in the time frame, they could easily have avoided it. No mention in the report about the use of radar guard zones, if these had been set correctly, the radar would have sounded an alarm as soon as the echo of the fishing boat entered the guard zone.
Piss poor on the part of the ferry crew, especially the master for running such a crap bridge team
Agree absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
... the easy answer is to fully prosecute those who are unable to think for themselves, both the cabin crew on the bridge and the Company Directors / Management.....both jail time and simple barring from positions both onboard a vessel and as part of management of any shipping company - those easy to do when the ferry requires a licence to operate in France (employ someone banned if you want to - just means no licence to operate)....when it's "your" livelihood and pension at stake, and not simply someone else's life it does concentrate the mind...
David, I find myself in the odd position of agreeing with you. As I've said repeatedly it wasn't the speed as much as the piss-poor watch that caused this. I don't believe they didn't give a krap, but were in all respects far too complacent. You can't solve 'stupid' with changes in regulations, but as you've implied stringing up this crew would be a good start, pour encouragez les autres.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 07:15   #107

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Errr... Like you said earlier read the investigation paper.. All the recommandations given there are for the ferries. None whatsoever for the podders.
Before you bow out you should take the advice and re-read the recommendations:

Quote:

BEA
mer reminds :

To officers of the watch and persons on watch

1/
That they have to enforce COLREG 72 rules, particularly those related to the conduct of vessels in restricted visibility conditions (safety speed).

To any sailor in charge of the watch

2/
That the notion of stand-on vessel does not apply as long as the type and the activity of the vessels are not identified.

The first of the two "reminders" in BEAMER's recommendations is clearly aimed at both vessels, and to me #2 seems to say 'fishing vessels have no privileges in restricted vis' so clearly a reminder to fishermen they have to keep a good lookout in the fog.

Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 04:02   #108
Armchair Bucketeer

An update........

BBC News - Condor captain and first officer on manslaughter charge

"A French captain and a first officer of the Condor Vitesse have been charged with manslaughter following a fatal collision in Jersey waters in 2011.

Paul Le Romancer, 58, from Strasbourg, who was in command of the ferry and 48-year-old Yves Tournon from Argenteuil, are due to go on trial on 26 June.

The ferry collided, during thick fog, with the Granville fishing boat Les Marquises on 28 March, 2011".

The accident investigation was concluded a while back (link somewhere in this thread!) - trial to kick off end of this month. The Company (Condor Ferries) also being held to account over the incident - personally I would put all the Directors in the same dock as the Captain and First Officer.

Note for readers, this case has been under the Napoleonic Code (no sh#t, it's in France ).......and none of the suspects / accused have been held in prison (because not seen as flight risks) and neither have they been found guilty before the trial starts.........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accident, collision, Ferry, fog