Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2017, 16:52   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: 2017 Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
I saw a better video. There is a clear damage to Comanche which has to avoid collision..

It all helps placing these 2 boats, and Endeavour, as the most well known boats all around.

Anyway, it is not the crossing of WO11 which penalizes the other boat, but the intentional (!) decision to tack on his face, stomping at a lower speed, and thus creating not only an Impediment, but potential danger too.

This is the key, because crossing was possible, turning was not..
I don't think they had any intention of crossing. The tack was a common racing tactic, known as a "lee bow". It's just that it was poorly executed. If they had tacked a couple of seconds sooner, they would have been praised for a skillful tactical move.

https://www.sailingworld.com/how-to/essential-leebow

Watch Out When You
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 17:05   #32
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I don't think they had any intention of crossing. The tack was a common racing tactic, known as a "lee bow". It's just that it was poorly executed. If they had tacked a couple of seconds sooner, they would have been praised for a skillful tactical move.

Watch Out When You
And have kept their line honours...

Or done the 720 and most likely have the line honours...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 17:08   #33

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post

Watch Out When You
I think that everyone who's ever raced any sort of sailboat is familiar with the lee bow maneuver but IMHO it didn't look to me like that's what he intended. From the video I saw and heard it sounded like they intended to pass in front and somehow I got the impression that the crew of WO11 was a little surprised when the skipper called for a tack. Also, I find it hard to believe that a skipper with so much experience helming racing sailboats could screw it up that badly if it was a deliberate maneuver that he'd intended all along. It looked to me like they intended to pass in front but suddenly realized they might not quite make it so did the only thing left to do and that's why they got too close. Just my impression, and I'd love to find out for sure. I'm sure the skipper must have been asked the question by now what his intentions were, to cross or not. Has anyone seen his answer?
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 19:16   #34

The sensible thing to do was the penalty turn, in a race that long it is improbable that the time to do the turns would affect the final line honors result. In any event the better sailors would seem to be those that won on handicap in the same division, even the older Wild Oats did better than both of them
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 21:42   #35

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

In the lead up to the incident, it appeared that WO would cross. However, as time goes on it gets clear that they will not. Spithill could have caused that by heading up, bringing new rules to bear, but the Stan Honey testimony showed that he held a constant course. The other cause of the change in cross/don't cross could have been that C was accelerating. C was pretty slow coming out of her tack in the light air and sloppy seas, but maybe she got a puff.

I agree with the Protest Committee, WO needed to be put down a place.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 23:01   #36

WO was never going to cross , a bad move on its behalf.
Comanche did the right thing by luffing up a little to avoid hitting.
If you hit someone intentionally you are in the wrong as well, the rules state this.
The correct decision was made!
Sealife74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 23:24   #37

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

WO had Ian Murray on board as tactician with Match racing experience/Americas Cup experience so I imagine he had a fair input into WO's tactics.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 23:05   #38

Boat: Catalina 470

It was obviously a just and correct decision based on the opinions of THE more informed than me (not a racer). In saying that, did the infringement cost Commanche that much time that they would of won if it hadn't occurred?

If the answer is no, it would of been refreshing to see Commanche not make the protest in a show of great sportsmanship, choosing not to win by default. Yep WO screwed up but the faster boat on the day won the race. Just MHO.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 23:28   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
It was obviously a just and correct decision based on the opinions of THE more informed than me (not a racer). In saying that, did the infringement cost Commanche that much time that they would of won if it hadn't occurred?

If the answer is no, it would of been refreshing to see Commanche not make the protest in a show of great sportsmanship, choosing not to win by default. Yep WO screwed up but the faster boat on the day won the race. Just MHO.
The proper sporting thing was for WO to make its penalty turns, they had that option, but thumbed their nose
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 23:38   #40

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Dale, I agree that your proposition would have been world class sportsmanship. however, at the level of competition involved, and the egos and dollars that are invested, small chance of that happening! I did think that ms Oatley's comments after the decision were quite handsome.

At any rate, the new "record" that Comanche now holds is tainted IMO, an opinion that I suspect is shared by many sailors.

I had another look at the kinda disjointed video that started this thread, and it is a pretty obvious foul... due, I think, to a botched tack, either in timing or execution. Dunno why they (WO) didn't see that and do the turns, but then I wasn't there!

Jim
Old 30-12-2017, 00:10   #41

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Dale, I agree that your proposition would have been world class sportsmanship. however, at the level of competition involved, and the egos and dollars that are invested, small chance of that happening! I did think that ms Oatley's comments after the decision were quite handsome.

At any rate, the new "record" that Comanche now holds is tainted IMO, an opinion that I suspect is shared by many sailors.

I had another look at the kinda disjointed video that started this thread, and it is a pretty obvious foul... due, I think, to a botched tack, either in timing or execution. Dunno why they (WO) didn't see that and do the turns, but then I wasn't there!

Jim
Yep, for sure. I suppose abit idealistic on my behalf, it would of been great to see "that world class" sportsmanship. The skipper of Commanche would have looked like a real winner.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 02:27   #42

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:

A jolly good question. The point of which is that Comanche reached the mouth of the Derwent River first, ahead of Wild Oats XI. But the finish line is at least 1 nautical mile up the Derwent. And in the light and fluky air of the river, WOXI overtook Comanche and finished 26 minutes before C.

Rather than saying WO screwed up, I think you say that either Mark Richards (the helm of WOXI) screwed up or his sail trimmers were slow at the tack (the video I saw was not good enough to discriminate).

For any money bags looking for a race skipper, I would recommend Jimmy Spithill (helm of C) and not Richards (helm of WOXI). On the video, as soon as the helm of C had reacted, you can hear Spithill calling for guidance on the layline so he can get C performing again.

Question is: was the lightning strike to WOXI, when it was tied up alongside C just before the race, the sign of divine disapproval?
Old 30-12-2017, 03:04   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
The proper sporting thing was for WO to make its penalty turns, they had that option, but thumbed their nose
It's spelled out in the RRoS:

Competitors in the sport of sailing are governed by a body of rules that they are
expected to follow and enforce. A fundamental principle of sportsmanship is that when competitors break a rule they will promptly take a penalty, which may be to retire.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 03:25   #44

Quote:

The penalty isn't applied to redress the time lost. The penalty is intended to discourage the breaking of the rules. WO created a potentially dangerous situation. As has been said before, a five minute penalty would have effectively been no penalty, and in future races skippers would ignore the rules.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 03:30   #45

Quote:
Yep, for sure. I suppose abit idealistic on my behalf, it would of been great to see "that world class" sportsmanship. The skipper of Commanche would have looked like a real winner.
LOL! A real winner who didn't win....

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
race, sydney, yacht