Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2016, 14:23   #31

Re: 7' bronze cannon found

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine1218 View Post
I just noticed. If you win the auction, you have to pay $12.40 is shipping!?!?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Think I would stick with the Nigerian inheritance I keep getting invited to accept.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 15:45   #32

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

What if I were headed to St. Kitts, just because I like it, but wanted something new to see and do from my boat? Would it not be worth the price to go to the location for the thrill? No one has done anything wrong, so no harm. Yeah, I agree some toad would eventually harm the site once the word was out, but it would not be me. I am beyond raising cannons for government seizure. Don't forget that eBay has a guarantee of some sort.

I did write (via eBay) and ask how the seller knew the cannon was bronze and 16th century rather than iron and 18th century. No reply to that yet.

Anyone know where the emoticons have gone? They are usually around, but I see none.
Old 28-01-2016, 16:50   #33

Location: Placida FL on the hard for now real nice place cheep rent .
Boat: 78 Laguna ,Windrose 24'

Well i see we are at $103.50 usd and only 15 Hr's to go. If i were in or near St.Kitts i'd bid just to get to see the thing , it's not like i've never ever blown a couple hundred bucks foolishly. But hey that's just me probably no one else .
sailersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 05:24   #34

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
What if I were headed to St. Kitts, just because I like it, but wanted something new to see and do from my boat? Would it not be worth the price to go to the location for the thrill? No one has done anything wrong, so no harm. Yeah, I agree some toad would eventually harm the site once the word was out, but it would not be me. I am beyond raising cannons for government seizure. Don't forget that eBay has a guarantee of some sort.

I did write (via eBay) and ask how the seller knew the cannon was bronze and 16th century rather than iron and 18th century. No reply to that yet.

Anyone know where the emoticons have gone? They are usually around, but I see none.
How good at you at breatholding… in any case, don't.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 06:26   #35

In the story on outside online it states

Most people in Sanford’s position would start strategizing about how to recover the sunken artifact, but Sanford had a different idea. He took a few pictures, sent an e-mail to Brimstone Hill Fortress with the GPS coordinates, and sailed away, resuming his vacation. A few days later, he published an offer on eBay: “7’ BRONZE CANNON FROM THE 1600s.”

From the ebay ad

"I'm selling the exclusive rights (legal guarantee that I won't disclose the GPS coordinates to anyone else) to the exact GPS coordinates of my find (accurate within 50')."

Looks like he answered the question posed above.

Really I just think he is bored and having fun

Q: How you determine it is bronze and 16th century. I am thinking it could be iron of a later vintage. I'll be in the area later in season, and this may be less expensive than even a bar for interesting entertainment. Jan-28-16

A: I did some basic research and based on what I found out am guessing that it is bronze. But it certainly could be iron. Same with the date. I visited the Brimstone Fort where there are dozens of similar (identical) cannons that were from the late 1600s. So again, I am making a very basic assumption. But heck, someone could have made this thing in 1987 and put it there just for my amusement. Yes, the whole thing is just for fun. I was quite excited to stumble upon it and thought that perhaps another would-be treasure hunter (although I wasn't hunting for anything except for my anchor, to be sure it was set well in 30 knots of wind) might enjoy the hunt as well. You are correct that it might indeed cost you less - and with much more enjoyment and less of a hangover - than a night at the bar. If you're with your friends, anchor nearby and see who finds it first. Winner buys the drinks! The only caveat is that to do any actual excavation or messing around you will need a permit from the St Kitts government. This could take months, or years. And it might take another year to actually dig up something of value. Which may or may not be there. Then again after you find the cannon, YOU can auction the location off on ebay and get all your money back! HA!
the_fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 07:24   #36

A big problem with working with many Caribbean governments is the high probability government staff will let their friends know of the location and go excavate before you even get close to getting all the permits involved. Would excavate and find out exactly what you got, document, and then go for permits. That way if your "treasure" does hit the black markets, you got documentation and a paper trail that can help recover the items. Needless to say, a lot of "booty" is never reported. The non human kind that is.
Old 29-01-2016, 07:28   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
A big problem with working with many Caribbean governments is the high probability government staff will let their friends know of the location and go excavate before you even get close to getting all the permits involved. Would excavate and find out exactly what you got, document, and then go for permits. That way if your "treasure" does hit the black markets, you got documentation and a paper trail that can help recover the items. Needless to say, a lot of "booty" is never reported. The non human kind that is.
Seriously? Not only are you advocating illegal looting, but you are advocating destroying archaeological evidence at a historic wreck site, possibly war grave, and disenfranchising of a national entity of an impoverished nation on the basis of your prejudice!

Further, by what means would you "excavate" a wreck site from the 17th century? By a large barge and sand dredge?

What the SAM HELL are you talking about???

I call the biggest BS so far on this thread.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 29-01-2016, 07:41   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Seriously? Not only are you advocating illegal looting, but you are advocating destroying archaeological evidence at a historic wreck site, possibly war grave, and disenfranchising of a national entity of an impoverished nation on the basis of your prejudice!

Further, by what means would you "excavate" a wreck site from the 17th century? By a large barge and sand dredge?

What the SAM HELL are you talking about???

I call the biggest BS so far on this thread.
You obviously sat down on a long stick. Perhaps a remedial course in the English language is in order for you. Now be a good millennial and listen: I was presenting facts, not prescriptions. And since you have no experience in this area you might not be aware that most excavations are by hand, brush, and trowel. The vast majority of underwater finds are out in the open, although usually disguised with growth.
You also might want to see a doctor about your self righteous indignation over imaginary issues.
As far as disenfranchising, you got to be kidding. The vast majority of "artifacts" for sale to tourists that are legit are usually looted by government employees. One of Ballard's complaints was how few governments down there have any respect for their history or artifacts that would enlighten their people about their history. Its mostly the governments that use underwater explosives, dredges, and the like to get to valuables as quickly as possible. Now, please try to educate yourself rather than sounding like a blithering idiot.
Old 29-01-2016, 08:07   #39

Quote:
You obviously sat down on a long stick. Perhaps a remedial course in the English language is in order for you. Now be a good millennial and listen: I was presenting facts, not prescriptions. And since you have no experience in this area you might not be aware that most excavations are by hand, brush, and trowel. The vast majority of underwater finds are out in the open, although usually disguised with growth.
You also might want to see a doctor about your self righteous indignation over imaginary issues.
As far as disenfranchising, you got to be kidding. The vast majority of "artifacts" for sale to tourists that are legit are usually looted by government employees. One of Ballard's complaints was how few governments down there have any respect for their history or artifacts that would enlighten their people about their history. Its mostly the governments that use underwater explosives, dredges, and the like to get to valuables as quickly as possible. Now, please try to educate yourself rather than sounding like a blithering idiot.
You were not presenting facts but opinions, as you do once again. And presumptious ones at that, not to mention abusive and ridiculous. Remedial course in English? Some private cruiser excavate an entire 17th century (presumed) wreck with "hand brush and trowel"??? Really? What the actual… are you talking about? BS confirmed in whole.

As for your general disdain of the societies of the whole of the Caribbean region in favour of your own personal opinion and whatever cruiser sees fit to loot what he may… reflects on yourself more than it does on them.

But then you are both dishing and advocating abuse and robbery for personal gain, and nothing else that I can see. Don't expect a further response, ever. Consider youself blocked.
Old 29-01-2016, 11:46   #40

Boat: BIG, FANCY 2,840'

You people are all insane. Really? Don't you have anything better to worry about? I don't think you have any idea what is actually going on. I know the seller quite well, and this is NOT a scam. He simply found a cannon (by accident) and decided to have some fun with it by selling the location on ebay. I wish I had thought of it! Illegal? Would it be illegal to sell the location of Fort Knox just because there's gold there and someone might try to rob it? GROW UP! And by the way, he's donating the money to the PALS children's health charity on St Kitts. Why don't all you whiners do the same!
Jangada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 11:52   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
You were not presenting facts but opinions, as you do once again. And presumptious ones at that, not to mention abusive and ridiculous. Remedial course in English? Some private cruiser excavate an entire 17th century (presumed) wreck with "hand brush and trowel"??? Really? What the actual… are you talking about? BS confirmed in whole.

As for your general disdain of the societies of the whole of the Caribbean region in favour of your own personal opinion and whatever cruiser sees fit to loot what he may… reflects on yourself more than it does on them.

But then you are both dishing and advocating abuse and robbery for personal gain, and nothing else that I can see. Don't expect a further response, ever. Consider youself blocked.
My stupid fellow: That is how underwater archaeology is done. Grids are laid out, transects are taken, and for each section, a slow, methodical removal of overburden is undertaken. Any object that is partly uncovered is then slowly brushed down or troweled around till it can be removed and sent above to be placed in a seawater tank. You really do sound naive and uneducated.

As far as your ability to read, it really needs improving.
Old 29-01-2016, 11:54   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jangada View Post
You people are all insane. Really? Don't you have anything better to worry about? I don't think you have any idea what is actually going on. I know the seller quite well, and this is NOT a scam. He simply found a cannon (by accident) and decided to have some fun with it by selling the location on ebay. I wish I had thought of it! Illegal? Would it be illegal to sell the location of Fort Knox just because there's gold there and someone might try to rob it? GROW UP! And by the way, he's donating the money to the PALS children's health charity on St Kitts. Why don't all you whiners do the same!
Until the world found out that part of fort knox was actually underneath the old world trade center. No mention was ever made how they got nearly a trillion dollars of gold from underneath that mess.
Old 29-01-2016, 12:21   #43

This is better than Donald Trump's daily dose of stupidity!

A friend of mine showed me this thread last night and the only, repeat only reason I joined this inane thread was to let y'all in on a secret -

The guy was more than honest about his intentions.
He put the coordinates on E-Bay (not the Cannon) sold coordinates to a location on E-Bay (not the Cannon). THE END.

READ the print people. I also heard (through my friend) the money he made was donated to some charity thing on Kitts...

So all of you that have had your boxers in a bundle over NOTHING - but I have to thank you for providing us with great fodder and some really good laughs while retelling your ridiculous accusations and assumptions over a beer.
zluv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 12:48   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by zluv51 View Post
This is better than Donald Trump's daily dose of stupidity!

A friend of mine showed me this thread last night and the only, repeat only reason I joined this inane thread was to let y'all in on a secret -

The guy was more than honest about his intentions.
He put the coordinates on E-Bay (not the Cannon) sold coordinates to a location on E-Bay (not the Cannon). THE END.

READ the print people. I also heard (through my friend) the money he made was donated to some charity thing on Kitts...

So all of you that have had your boxers in a bundle over NOTHING - but I have to thank you for providing us with great fodder and some really good laughs while retelling your ridiculous accusations and assumptions over a beer.
The Donald actually makes more sense than most of the posters. FWIW, was on the phone with my cousin down in St. Bart about this stuff an hour ago. Basically, you dive, you find, you document, and then you go to the relevant archaeology/culture/interior/tourism office in charge of salvage permits. He has operated a hotel in St.Bart for almost 30 years and should know. He has salvaged tons of stuff throughout the Carib. Most governments down there will allow salvage under various protocols. They did dump several hundred tons of cannons several decades ago as the things kept stacking up from salvage operations and no one wanted them. Now back to Trump.
Old 29-01-2016, 13:01   #45

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
The Donald actually makes more sense than most of the posters. FWIW, was on the phone with my cousin down in St. Bart about this stuff an hour ago. Basically, you dive, you find, you document, and then you go to the relevant archaeology/culture/interior/tourism office in charge of salvage permits. He has operated a hotel in St.Bart for almost 30 years and should know. He has salvaged tons of stuff throughout the Carib. Most governments down there will allow salvage under various protocols. They did dump several hundred tons of cannons several decades ago as the things kept stacking up from salvage operations and no one wanted them. Now back to Trump.
Trump making sense 🤔 Now thats funny 😂
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote