Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 20:10   #16
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Absolutely Jim. I also didn't mention anything about laws. I'm not in favor either. We agree on that too. I also like the term "Assumption breath"! What I'm not in favor of is buying your 16 year old a 40' race boat, aiming her at the Southern Ocean in June, and praying others will come to her rescue when the feces hits the fan. She is in my thoughts tonight, and I will worry until I hear she is OK. After that, if the parents can afford the "team", they can afford the rescue...
Hard to add to this post, I agree 100%
Old 10-06-2010, 20:15   #17

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I see nothing wrong with letting people speak their minds...as long as we are respectful with each other.

Many were predicting something like this would eventually happen long before it happened. Many people, including myself, feel awful about her situation as well as are justifiably ticked off at her parents.

I wish the best for her and perhaps less so for her parents. I hope the long term fame they so desired for themselves and for their daughter by putting her life at risk never pans out. Any acquired fame will only motivate parents with even younger children to do the same thing.
Sorry, but this seems awfully judgmental especially coming from a moderator.
Old 10-06-2010, 20:21   #18
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Sorry, but this seems awfully judgmental especially coming from a moderator.
Maybe but , Im happy David M i posted, its how I and any clear thinking person would feel and I agree with the statement 100%

I could not even think of putting my daughter in that boat no matter how good she was,for what fame/ego?? Id like to put my foot in the parents A&^%
I supect right about now her parents are wishing they had not done it, weve all made stupid mistakes in our life but this to me is child neglect or worse
Old 10-06-2010, 20:59   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Maybe but , Im happy David M i posted, its how I and any clear thinking person would feel and I agree with the statement 100%

I could not even think of putting my daughter in that boat no matter how good she was,for what fame/ego?? Id like to put my foot in the parents A&^%
I supect right about now her parents are wishing they had not done it, weve all made stupid mistakes in our life but this to me is child neglect or worse
Look, in the last year two 17 year olds and a 16 year old have sail around solo, and a 12 year old just summited Everest. This is reality, like it or not and sooner or later (Dutch 14 year old?) someone younger will try.
Old 10-06-2010, 21:00   #20

Boat: Shamrock 246 Open
Personally the age thing is not an issue. I feel that planning, experience and common sense is half the battle. From the beginning, I felt the boat was too much for her to handle. If it were my child, I would have chosen a Westsail, PS or Alberg rigged with a simple configuration; a boat manageable in severe conditions with a minimal amount of effort.

I’m sure having sponsors put pressure on the team to take additional risks, especially once they failed to meet the unassisted criteria.

Decisions made by, or under pressure, are normally not the best decisions.
Old 10-06-2010, 21:07   #21

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Look, in the last year two 17 year olds and a 16 year old have sail around solo, and a 12 year old just summited Everest. This is reality, like it or not and sooner or later (Dutch 14 year old?) someone younger will try.
Like chickens crossing the road - some will get there.

Old 10-06-2010, 21:07   #22
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Abby Sunderland - The Debate

This will be the thread for discussing the aspects of Abby's having activated a couple of her EPIRBs that have nothing to do with providing the latest news about her condition and rescue. If members must argue their personal points-of-view on this evolving emergency, do it in this thread.

Thank you for your cooperation.

TaoJones
Old 10-06-2010, 22:31   #23

I'm really not a fan of people saying such things as I knew this was going to happen or see what happens when you send a junior out, blah blah blah... Bottom line is, anyone could lose their lives in such conditions. Many, salty men have died trying, hell we just lost a few on that Sydney to Hobart. They seem much older and far more experienced.

Look, I would rather vanish while doing something that I truly believe in and love, then to sit behind a desk, giving non-experienced advice and criticizing anyone who tries anything because they may get hurt or die.. Whatever..

I just hope that everyone turns out for everyone involved.

MY .000002 cents..
Old 10-06-2010, 23:12   #24

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
A Qantas A330 has been dispatched to locate her, it is currently looking for her.
Not sure what they can do, except report on the condition of the boat and or life raft.
How long can someone survive in these waters?
The nearest rescue boat is 40 odd hours away, lets hope she can hang on till then.
Old 10-06-2010, 23:12   #25

As a father of a son her age I can not fathom the idea of letting my child set on a journey like this. I can't help but wonder if this record is for her or her parents. My son who's passion is not sailing but instead other sports sees his peers injecting steroids and whatever else they can to gain an edge. I have no doubt with my approval he would do the same. Instead he will get his maximum potential out of hard work and maybe a protein shake. My point being at this age ideas seem grand and her parents have a responsibility to assure her well being while she is a juvenile. The argument of it could happen to anyone is rubbish, if it happens let it happen to the adult that makes the choice for themselves, not the child living her parents dream.

I hope and pray Abby is recovered first and foremost. Then I hope her parents are held responsible, unfortunately people like this empower governments to make decisions for the rest of us who enjoy making our own.
Old 10-06-2010, 23:34   #26

KABC ABC 7 in Los Angeles says they just found her alive with the boat.
Old 10-06-2010, 23:35   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking Forward View Post
As a father of a son her age I can not fathom the idea of letting my child set on a journey like this. I can't help but wonder if this record is for her or her parents. My son who's passion is not sailing but instead other sports sees his peers injecting steroids and whatever else they can to gain an edge. I have no doubt with my approval he would do the same. Instead he will get his maximum potential out of hard work and maybe a protein shake. My point being at this age ideas seem grand and her parents have a responsibility to assure her well being while she is a juvenile. The argument of it could happen to anyone is rubbish, if it happens let it happen to the adult that makes the choice for themselves, not the child living her parents dream.

I hope and pray Abby is recovered first and foremost. Then I hope her parents are held responsible, unfortunately people like this empower governments to make decisions for the rest of us who enjoy making our own.
Its our government. We are "responsible" for what our government does. The question is how much say so do you want the government to have in raising your children? You say you enjoy making your own decisions but what about when someone else's decision is not what you would do? It cuts both ways.
Old 10-06-2010, 23:41   #28

It cuts both ways I agree completely, but when something like this that is in my opinion abusive occurs it forces people to step in to protect others. We don't all need regulations.

I hope the abbé post is accurate, that is great news!
Old 10-06-2010, 23:44   #29

Sorry I lurk here often this is only my second post heres a link to msnbc.com twitter

msnbc Breaking News (msnbc_breaking) on Twitter
Old 11-06-2010, 00:20   #30

Search crew makes contact with teen sailor
Search crew makes contact with teen sailor - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
so it looks like she is ok for the moment.

If she was much older and more experienced she would never have gotten herself into trouble
Australian navy medics rescue injured round-the-world yachtsman | Sport | guardian.co.uk

Vendée Globe: Australian Navy to the rescue | Yacht News | Yachting World

Tony Bullimore is rescued by the navy - Telegraph

Live life, don't let it pass you by, whatever your age.
Closed Thread