Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2009, 22:42   #46

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
I'm feeling that the author of the article was sensationalizing the piece. Modern day journalism does this. Rarely do I see an honest and straight styled writer. It's easier for a paper to sell BS than it is the boring truth..."Dead baby in dumpster...news at 11:00!!!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 17:32   #47

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherT34C View Post
The tender-as-rudder thing would probably work to a degree. I think I would try and fashion something with plywood and c-clamps first.

What do you do if your rudder is stuck hard over (for whatever reason), though? Think of any way to negate it? What if you dropped a sail overboard and wrapped the rudder (assuming a spade or a skeg) from both sides? I'll bet Stuart Armstrong has a list of things that don't work.
I like the wrap the rudder with a sail.

Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 08:38   #48

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Further News

A more accurate summary of the events of s/v Sara appears at BYM Marine & Maritime News
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 10:27   #49
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherT34C View Post
The tender-as-rudder thing would probably work to a degree. I think I would try and fashion something with plywood and c-clamps first.

What do you do if your rudder is stuck hard over (for whatever reason), though? Think of any way to negate it? What if you dropped a sail overboard and wrapped the rudder (assuming a spade or a skeg) from both sides? I'll bet Stuart Armstrong has a list of things that don't work.
I have no basis to second guess this, nor the expearence. But thinking of ideas, could you use Kanani's para anchor tied to your main halyard during a calmer period which would lay the boat over on its side. Then you could get to the rudder without going under the boat.
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 10:53   #50

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
A more accurate summary of the events of s/v Sara appears at BYM Marine & Maritime News
There is always 3 sides to every story......

I have a very close friend that had a similar incident, 100 miles off the coast of Costa Rica. He had a few encounters with ship traffic that attempted to help him and he tried to the best of his ability to limp to safe harbor. I will state now that he was NOT mechanically inclined and that was his biggest failure.

After about 3 attempts to get his engine running he sent a message via the captain of a freighter, requesting assistance, to be towed to port. The captain of that freighter notified the Coast Guard that there was a vessel in distress with no means of making his way to safe harbor.

I was the 1st person that the CG called because I was listed on his EPIRB (which was never activated) registration as his emergency contact. I told the CG that I would fly to Cost Rica and arrange for a tow for his vessel. My actual plan was to fly down and find a fisherman that I could pay to take me out there to straighten the situation out and get him to port.

The CG ignored my statement, they talked Walter into abandoning his vessel. They told him that he was in a "Very remote area" (sound familiar to this story???) and his chance of being rescued if conditions worsened were very slim. They told him that there was a freighter in the area that was willing to take him off of the boat and that this may be his last chance for survival. He was also informed that there was a storm coming his way (which was not true).

I hate to bad mouth the Coast Guard and I know that their first priority is the safety of the skipper & crew but sometimes they sensationalize the situation, the same way that the media does, in an effort to effect a rescue while conditions are more "Convenient" (I'm not saying that's all bad either).

Some of the stuff that I read on this rescue sounds a lot like what my friend went through. It seems that there was a chance of this vessel to make it to Bermuda (judging by their track) in a week or so (or at least close enough to get help). It seems that a transfer of food and water may have made the difference. I am very suspicious of why they abandoned that vessel. I just wonder if they weren't talked off and caved in due to fear that may have been placed in them. Possibly being told that there was very little chance of another ship being in their area and that weather was deteriorating.......I don't know....just a little suspicious..... Like I said in a prior post.....there seems to be some parts of the puzzle missing here.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 10:55   #51

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigamarole View Post
I have no basis to second guess this, nor the expearence. But thinking of ideas, could you use Kanani's para anchor tied to your main halyard during a calmer period which would lay the boat over on its side. Then you could get to the rudder without going under the boat.
In a word....."NO".....in 2 words......"HELL NO"........ If the weather were calm, there would be NO reason not to go under the boat, other than the lack of experience in free diving or lack of tools and mechanical ability to do anything once they got there.

Lack of mechanical knowledge of ever facet of a cruising sailor's vessel is a liability and adds a tremendous amount of risk when crossing oceans.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 16:39   #52
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
risking your life during a boat-to-boat transfer. That was the most dangerous part of their entire experience..
Current court case where 4 people died after yacht sunk. DEsigner and boatbuilder facing criminal charges.

Quote:
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25104653-12377,00.html

ONE of two men who survived a fatal boat capsize off the New South Wales north coast has told a Sydney court how the ship sent to rescue them "creamed" them by going straight over their heads.

Mr Rogers then clipped himself to Mr McDermott and the pair spent more than seven hours in the water before being spotted by a rescue aircraft.

Deemed too dangerous to rescue the pair from the air, a nearby ship was redirected.

"Unfortunately, the course was a little bit too accurate," Mr Rogers said.

"Brian yelled out: 'Oh, it's a ship' and I looked up and a 50,000 tonne cargo ship ran over us.

"It's just literally creamed us.

"We went tumble, tumble, like you were in a tumble drier, straight underneath the ship."

The pair surfaced about three quarters of the way down the side of the ship, he said. It then took 11 attempts to get them on board.

"Brian was well and truly incapacitated at that stage," Mr Rogers said.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 17:06   #53

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Herb Hilgenberg to the Rescue again!!!

rescued....300 miles from Bermuda....so close, yet so far!

I wonder where the ship is now?
Old 20-03-2009, 18:09   #54

Boat: '75 Hunter 27 SD
Has there been any news on what fouled the rudder or steering mech?

My club www.SYClub.ca
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 21:41   #55

Boat: Skookum 53'
I have used a 5 gallon bucket over the side to steer a boat that had lost it's rudder, I don't think it would have counter acted a hard over rudder. It is easy to second guess those involved, and the news stories don't give nearly enough information to make any kind decision about what should or could have been done to correct the problem. I shouldn't think they spent the whole time playing cards.
captain58sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2009, 05:11   #56

Boat: Riviera 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
Has there been any news on what fouled the rudder or steering mech?
Apparently it was a bearing siezure.
A reasonable person, accepts the Status Quo. An unreasonable person, wants to change it. All progress is therefore made by unreasonable people. Me, I'm just apathetic about the status quo. I think we want it back.
MoonlightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote