Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 04:36   #1

Boat: Ohlson 38
Annapolis Boat Show Parking? Crowds?

Just how crowded does the boat show">Annapolis boat show get? Leslie and I are planning to go Friday morning and park (as suggested) at the Marine Corp stadium. Then take the shuttle back and forth. My concern I guess is that I hate (and I mean hate!) large crowds! Is this going to be one of those "shoulder to shoulder takes an hour and a huge offensive line to travel a block to wait 30 minutes for a cheeseburger and another hour back kinda events? Is it less crowded at 0900 when the first shuttle arrives? as much as I want to see some boats and perhaps hear some lectures I really am dreading fighting a horde of people. Eric
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:11   #2

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Get there early and come in from the Eastport side. There is a school yard one block before the Spa creek bridge that opens up for parking. I don't remember the cost but it is a tax deductable donation. We have parked there multiple times. It is a short walk across the bridge to the show.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:55   #3

Boat: Irwin Citation 39 'Chesagansett'
Also in Eastport, at least one church let's you park in their lot for a fee ($7 last year).

If the line for the bus at the stadium is too long, it's all down hill walking to the show.
steve_hendry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:44   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Last year when my wife and I went, it was somewhat crowded but not one of those elbow to elbow music concert type crowds. My hotel had a shuttle to the show. The stadium parking sounds like a good idea. I think you would be lucky to find a spot downtown and you don't want to have to pay one of those nearby parking scalpers. If you have never seen it, go visit the US Naval Academy next door and get a tour. Its pretty impressive.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:02   #5

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Take the water taxi and have dinner in the restaurant which was the John Trumpy yard. Great history lesson. Raise a glass for me
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:48   #6

Boat: islandpacket
Take the shuttle. I would never walk from the stadium to the show. the buses run constantly. never waited more than a few minutes to get there or back. 10-15 min ride. I have drove all around down town looking for parking but wasted alot of time sitting in traffic. Carry a shoulder bag for all the stuff you need to buy, you will get tired of carrying it all day. Get a pain killer early to have time to wear off.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:21   #7

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Crowds? Friday and Monday are the best. But this year??? There may not be the crowds on the boat docks. This may be the season that kills off more boat builders. Catalina is down to a skeleton crew,don't know about Tartan, Hunter,Benateau (they may be surviving on charter sales). The brokers are very anxious. But the markets up another 100 pts today.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis, annapolis boat show, boat show