Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2008, 01:24   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Another missing yacht

We had a news break on our NZ TV news last night of a Yacht(sailboat for you US guy's) that may have capsized off the North Otago coast. I what expectantly for an update on tonights news, but nothing. The only thing I could find was this. Search and Rescue to review yacht search | NATIONAL | NEWS | tvnz.co.nz
Has any of the Kiwi's heard anything more on this event. Looks like the Yacht may not exist, but I have heard nothing more.
It will be annoying if it is a Hoax, but on the other hand, they are talking 70kts to maybe as high as 85kts out there tonight, so I wouldn't want to be out there in it.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 02:00   #2

missing yacht

Quote:
Oamaru man Hugh Franklin last night alerted police to what he believed was a capsized 14-foot yacht about 3km offshore.
A helicopter was deployed with night-vision capabilities and local fishing trawler the Jane Marie conducted a three hour sweep of the area on Monday night.
A North Otago helicopter was again in the air this morning searching for the stricken yacht. Marine adviser for North Otago search and rescue John McLellan said nothing to indicate a missing vessel had been found.
"We have no reason to believe that there is a vessel down out there but that doesn't mean to say we're not continuing on watching reports. It's just stood down in the meantime," McLellan said.
Police continued lines of inquiry into the mystery yacht. "What we were looking for was any sign of wreckage or anything blown on to the beach which we would expect to come ashore anywhere,'' McLellan said.
There were parts of wreckages discovered along the coastline but these were not believed to have any connection to the mystery yacht because they appeared to have been there for some time.
"We won't be putting an aircraft up again in the air unless we get further sightings or reports that we need to look in to." Last night, Franklin admitted he was starting to doubt himself over sighting the vessel.
"This is what puzzles me, it was there one minute and the next minute it's not there. It just can't disappear in to thin air," he said.
"I'm beginning to believe I've gone insane."
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 02:07   #3

Boat: Trismus 37
I thought that when it was first reported it was possibly a small sailing dinghy (laser / cherub or somesuch ??) and that the sighting was not at all positive. Someone thought they saw something.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 11:56   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
A sailing dinghy 3Km off the North Otago coast in a Southerly air stream. (Oamaru to be precise) For those that know that area, does anything in that above description seem hard to believe??

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 13:39   #5

Boat: Trismus 37
Yup, there has not been any media update, or reports of wreckage, so lets hope it was a case of seeing something that wasn't there. It happens all the time with UFO's.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 16:19   #6

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres
It is amazing just how quickly a vessel can disappear under the waves--there one minute gone the next. Especially with a few pounds of lead on the keel.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 21:25   #7

Mike, you wouldn't be bashing monohulls again would you?
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 15:35   #8

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres
I love monohulls--if I was going to sail in really tough conditions I would like a steel Van de Stadt. However--mostly I am amongst coral reefs and tropical seas--so my little trimaran does fine as long as I keep it off said coral--.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote