Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2011, 07:18   #31

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
I always assumed those Coast Guard search planes and helicopters have infrared imaging on board, which would help pick out a small boat at night. Maybe its only good enough to give you the equivalent of daytime vision at night . . . but you're still looking for a needle in a big haystack. (?)
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 07:42   #32

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
I always assumed those Coast Guard search planes and helicopters have infrared imaging on board, which would help pick out a small boat at night. Maybe its only good enough to give you the equivalent of daytime vision at night . . . but you're still looking for a needle in a big haystack. (?)
Thermal imaging performance is superior to regular optics these days, except under certain conditions. Heavy rain & fog have a greater impact on thermal imagers than day optics- scatter & absorption are more intense in the wavelengths that thermal operates in.
Old 23-01-2011, 08:44   #33

Boat: it sunk :) was brown searunner 42 ft trinity
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
3 days from EPIRB to hotel.
Thats a bit longer than expected.

Any thoughts on that?

"After receiving the EPIRB signal on Thursday afternoon, the Coast Guard coordinated with a U.S. Navy P-3 Orion to fly over the area, but by that time, night had fallen so the crew was unable to spot the dinghy. It took two more days of searching, but a USCG C-130 finally pinpointed the signal around 10:35 Saturday morning. "
like pete said we were just a dot in the water we were lucky they saw us
judson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 09:44   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Out of curiosity, what sort of kit did you manage to take with you in the dinghy and perhaps more of a "lessons learnt" exercise was there some things that you really wished you had with you?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 10:03   #35
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Judson - it's great to hear from you. Sorry for the loss of your boat, but glad you pulled through OK, and are positive about it. You must feel quite blessed to be alive.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 10:21   #36

Boat: it sunk :) was brown searunner 42 ft trinity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Out of curiosity, what sort of kit did you manage to take with you in the dinghy and perhaps more of a "lessons learnt" exercise was there some things that you really wished you had with you?

Pete
no kit it was in the yama with the moter for the dingy (the yama that broke off) what i wish i had with me would have bin the motor and the kit hahaha.we had water,freeze dried food flare gun and a spare eberb in the kit
judson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 10:42   #37
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i bet ye had a helluva ride until the sound of wood cracking???/ dang--- goood on ye for fortitude and survival... best of luck and smooth sailing for your life.....
i think i will rig my walker bay with a ditch bag attached to its lil mast step.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 10:45   #38

Boat: S2 9.2A 30ft "Irish Blessing" interested in larger catamaran if lifestyle is fun.
37th or so post into this article and I am going to be the first to say it. Great job United States Coast Guard and United States Navy, thank you. Thanks also to the Captain, crew and owners of the Sunbelt Spirit. Two sailors would be dead and two families grieving if not for what you have done.

My navigational skills are certainly lacking but the Pacific side of Costa Rica appears to be a 1000 miles from the nearest US landfall. US military assets were diverted to search for a squawking EPIRB, the US Coast Guard flew into the area twice looking for that EPIRB. An EPIRB that was more than likely registered to a Canadian citizen. They were found by the USCG.

As a US taxpayer and USN vet, I could not be more proud of the service provided by both the USCG and USN. Kinda makes you proud to be an American.
jms9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 12:35   #39

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat
This seems to me a very good example to state that we as offshore sailors and cruisers should only be having the GPS-enabled EPIRBs on board!
Old 23-01-2011, 13:41   #40

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by jms9 View Post

As a US taxpayer and USN vet, I could not be more proud of the service provided by both the USCG and USN. Kinda makes you proud to be an American.
Indeed. Credit where it's due. I would hope the CCG would do the same for Americans off, say, Vancouver Island or the Grand Banks.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 14:54   #41
cruiser

dont count on it

be prepared allways,,german sailer sailing single just went missing off martinique and was previousvsailing instructor,,wear harness is the lesson but i suppose we all gotta dy someday,,took many chances mysef,,hope they find german cooling out on island alive later but doubt he was even wearing lifevest..bumper sticker is ,,no mercy 4 fools ocean has,,no comebacks 4 those guys,,call a spade a spade ..the truth is the truth,,
pullord is offline   Reply With Quote