Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 06:56   #16

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Anyone going to SSCA gathering at Camp Letts (Annapolis)?

Perhaps I'm not fully objective, but I thought the GAM was outstanding. Great speakers, great people, and some really interesting conversations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
The welcome mat is out on Hawk, so come by and say hello.
It was indeed. Evans was a great host when I had a chance to briefly visit.

Not to embarrass him unduly, but when an incoming boat ran aground on uncharted humps and half-a-dozen dinghies showed up to help, Evans brought ... Hawk. Oh - and two seriously long, seriously heavy shore lines. It took the 2am high tide to actually get off, but we had loads of fun trying hard despite great clouds of testosterone. *grin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
I'm gonna take a risk and say our outboard seems to be performing reliably at the moment ...
That didn't work out did it? *grin* There was a good bit of dinghy towing through the week, including my ignominious return to Auspicious when I ran out of dinghy gas. The Smithsonian Institute research vessel towed me back belching diesel exhaust all the way. Thanks to Tovarisch II for lending me some gas to get to the fuel dock.

The head count was a bit over 400 with as many as 65 boats anchored out.

Stuffing Evans and the Siegels (ActiveCaptain) in my smallish dinghy for a Sunday night gathering on Perelandra was great fun.

On behalf of your SSCA many thanks to all who came.

sail fast and eat well, dave
S/V Auspicious
SSCA Board of Directors
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:11   #17

Boat: Pearson 422
My thanks to all the volunteers who put on the GAM. We had a great time. saw some old friends. Met a lot of new ones. Learned a ton that will help us in our refit and planning. Fair winds and following seas to all those heading out this year. Wish we were with you but our turn will come.
Paperbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:04   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Perhaps I'm not fully objective, but I thought the GAM was outstanding. Great speakers, great people, and some really interesting conversations.
And our thanks to your for all the hard work and energy you put in to make everything work.

The active captain presentation on medical stuff was very excellent and my favorite seminar - both very practical and obviously with a lot of passion and knowledge about the subject.

My favorite part of the weekend was taking some of the brits out for a sail on Hawk to show them our code zero set-up, on an absolutely perfect sailing day, and then tacking back up thru the fleet and anchoring under sail.

I am heading over to Shaw bay tomorrow.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 14:38   #19

Boat: Hunter 356

Must say, this was our first GAM and had a blast. Very interesting seminars and learned a few things. Didn't know Calder was a stand up comedian .

Found out that my Link 2000 was reporting my starting battery bank was a -2149 Ahrs. Talk about be confused. Talked to Dave and Nigel and then just reset the damn thing. Back to normal..

See everyone down the ICW and Bahamas...
javaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:04   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing
I'm gonna take a risk and say our outboard seems to be performing reliably at the moment ...
That didn't work out did it? *grin* There was a good bit of dinghy towing through the week

That didn't work out did it? *grin* There was a good bit of dinghy towing through the week, ...
Um, yeah, well, THAT. Bummed that we had to renege (sp?) on our offer to go exploring. After 3 attempts to tear down and clean the carburetor, we gave up and brought the outboard to Tim W. at Boatworks (behind Jabins in Annapolis). Outstanding service; 4 hours later the engine is humming again. I don't feel too bad, there were 3 separate things wrong (float valve, cylinder adjustment, and low-speed jets) and it required some new parts. Tim said we had been doing everything we could, correctly, such as new hoses and good non-ethanol fuel, but the problems we were having were more complex than could be dealt with with just beyond a home fix. I'd recommend him if anyone else in the area has outboard problems.
Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper Life Afloat is having some formatting glitches, till then I'm posting at Life Afloat Archives and Life Afloat on Facebook! And a new project, The Monkey's Fist: Collecting Cruisers' Perspectives
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis