Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2013, 06:25   #16

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Re: Armed robbery in Mexico

Don't come here, it's too dangerous. The anchorages are filling up and my favorite marina is nearly full and I don't want them to raise the prices so don't come because you'll probably get robbed and murdered. There are dead Americans laying in the streets everywhere. The corrupt police won't even allow American bodies to be removed, they just lay around all over the place rotting in the sun. There's hardly any room for a beach towel between them.
Don't come here, please, if you know what's good for you.
Just cruise the Florida Keys, it's in America, it's safe. Nothing bad ever happens there. Nobody gets robbed or killed there. Go there and you'll be safe.
You can cruise the perfectly safe Keys, over to murder and robbery free Texas, across to crime free New Orleans, to Mobile, Alabama where nobody has ever been robbed, over to pristine Pensacola and down the W coast of Florida which is also crime free. Everything will be perfect.
Old 21-02-2013, 06:44   #17

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
Don't come here, it's too dangerous. The anchorages are filling up and my favorite marina is nearly full and I don't want them to raise the prices so don't come because you'll probably get robbed and murdered. There are dead Americans laying in the streets everywhere. The corrupt police won't even allow American bodies to be removed, they just lay around all over the place rotting in the sun. There's hardly any room for a beach towel between them.
Just cruise the Florida Keys, it's in America, it's safe. Nothing bad ever happens there. Nobody gets robbed or killed there. Go there and you'll be safe.
You can cruise the perfectly safe Keys, over to murder and robbery free Texas, across to crime free New Orleans, to Mobile, Alabama where nobody has ever been robbed, over to pristine Pensacola and down the W coast of Florida which is also crime free. Everything will be perfect.
Nice one....
Old 21-02-2013, 06:53   #18

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
do you have access to cruisers passport info to determine who has been to Mexico and can rate their post based on that?
Of course I don't have access to passport information...

I do have access to the Yahoo Group Southbound, Yahoo Cruisers Network, Cruisers Forum, numerous magazines and of course first person accounts by other cruisers that have visited Mexico.

I also had 18 months of experience traveling Mexico's entire Pacific Coast and Sea of Cortez (About 4000 nm total). I sailed from San Diego to Zihuatenjo the first season and spent the Hurricane season in the Sea of Cortez, going as far north as Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point), about 40 miles from the US Border. Then I traveled the entire Pacific Coast of Mainland Mexico to Puerto Madera, about 40 miles from Guadamala before leaving the country, with about 90 Mexican ports of call or anchorages behind us.

During that time, I was also Net Controller for the Sonrisa Net and participated in 4 other Mexican SSB nets.

So although I don't have passport information... I have a little experience with Pacific Mexico and the cruising there.

In my non-scientific study, Cruisers who have visited Mexico overwhelmingly say that it was #1: Not dangerous to visit; #2: They liked the country and #3: Think about returning someday.

Those limited few Cruisers negative comments, who visited Meixco in their boats and I personally met, I would guess less than 10, usually directed thwir negtive comments towards the goverment bureaucracy or the "Third World Conditions"... not crime.

I did meet one cruising boat was burglarized twice in six months while the owners were off the boat and they also stated they wouldn't return, but then headed to Central America... Go figure?

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 06:56   #19

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post

Nice one!

I think you make a great point... Leave it to those of us who like the country and its people.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 07:03   #20
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
"I was awakened by banging on the sliding door into the salon," Bill reports, "and like an idiot, I opened it — at which time a gun was put in my face.
And you guys are blaming everyone else except the dingbat cruisers.

How dumb ya gotta be?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 07:07   #21
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by scimitar View Post
I do not know for Pancho Villa country, I was only once in Mazatlan in 1976 and do not know who is stealing what this days, but that theft of outboards (and other equipment) i would take with pinch of salt.
there were outboard thefts from Dubrovnik to Istria in last couple of summers, but mostly in the northern part of the Adritic and around Istrian peninsula. and guess who police caught. cruisers, three Britons and two Italians.

rodlmao.
sorry.

not.

outboard engines here in mexico are useful--necessary for pangeros to fish at sea. they are high theft items. dinghies also are sold for money.
they are pricey to purchase here.

if you dont know from pancho villaville, dont speak.

i know souls whose dinks and engines were stolen, some even while asleep on board with offenders getting by their yappy-dog to steal engines from decktops....

i was in the old harbor when a couple of engines and dinghies were missing...is not a happy thing to be stranded in an anchorage without the dink to travel to shore...i wa sin ensenada when th e nocturnal burglary ring was squelched--"la noche de los bandidos"....
yes we can do something about the thieving--publicize it--authorities will actually do something when they know their dinners are going to be curtailed due to loss of tourism dollars.
this is a tourism dependent country. officials think poorly of souls who interrupt the flow of money to this area.

scimitar--things have changed some since 1976----big time..more folks here, natives as well as expats. towns have grown. a lot.

as 914 said--DO NOT COME HERE--is waaay too dangerous and anchorages are way tooo crowded...stay away.

and i do agree with jeremiasson, for a change....

and, as we are awaiting the information from officials as to the resolution of this problem.....we do not know how this will pan out...is still too early to tell anything.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 07:30   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post

I said I do not know who is stealing what these days. but considering that there is a lot of "shoestring" sailors out there, I would not be so surprised.

and seeing you so jumpy, the old saying, where there's smoke, there's fire. ... could be true
scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 07:36   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by scimitar View Post
I said I do not know who is staling what these days. but considering that there is a lot of "shoestring" sailors out there, I would not be so surprised.

and seeing you so jumpy, the old saying, where there's smoke, there's fire. ... could be truth

rodlmao.

no smoke here--just watching as my neighbors find new adventures to survive....have not had a bit of problem in mexico.

btw--there are more richie rich sailors here than derelicts and low bux cruisers. moontide exhibited richie rich with toys and easy access in form of steps into deck from water.
these seem to have been the main attraction for pirating by boarding parties.
where there is a huge income difference such as exhibited by some cruisers and pride in showing off the goods, there will be random acts of piracy of goods .... has been demonstrated with each act on record.

mebbe, scimitar, you might wish to experience that which you are commenting about. you make no sense.
Old 21-02-2013, 07:51   #24

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

All we can say about Mexico is Lock your dink and motor!! Hell as far as that go's Lift and lock your stuff no matter where ya go ! Dinks and motors get stolden everywhere !! Some folks moored the same place we were in Lauderdale a yr ago had there dink and motor taken from the back of there boat, where it was just tied, in the early evening ! So ya need to lock your stuff no matter where you are !! Just sayin ya can have less theft if ya lock your stuff up !! Only takes a few minutes and ya sleep better if ya do it !!
Old 21-02-2013, 08:17   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
rodlmao.
sorry.

not.

outboard engines here in mexico are useful--necessary for pangeros to fish at sea. they are high theft items. dinghies also are sold for money.
they are pricey to purchase here.

i know souls whose dinks and engines were stolen, some even while asleep on board with offenders getting by their yappy-dog to steal engines from decktops....

i was in the old harbor when a couple of engines and dinghies were missing...is not a happy thing to be stranded in an anchorage without the dink to travel to shore...i wa sin ensenada when th e nocturnal burglary ring was squelched--"la noche de los bandidos"....
yes we can do something about the thieving--publicize it--authorities will actually do something when they know their dinners are going to be curtailed due to loss of tourism dollars.
this is a tourism dependent country. officials think poorly of souls who interrupt the flow of money to this area.

scimitar--things have changed some since 1976----big time..more folks here, natives as well as expats. towns have grown. a lot.

as 914 said--DO NOT COME HERE--is waaay too dangerous and anchorages are way tooo crowded...stay away.

and i do agree with jeremiasson, for a change....

and, as we are awaiting the information from officials as to the resolution of this problem.....we do not know how this will pan out...is still too early to tell anything.
It got so bad in Jamaica that they created a "Tourist Police" force and adviced any tourist that was harmed to go to them as opposed to regular police,they get the job done!
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 09:04   #26

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Not to over react, but I'm sure there have been far more than 2 in 10 years.

In all fairness to Orange County, I'm certain the per capita gringo violent crime rate is much higher in Mexico and other parts of the third world than anywhere in the Western world.
That sounds like the BS line we heard from our prez a while ago.

"I don't have all the facts, but the police acted stupidly"

Yeah, right.

Please don't mouth off about a country with which you have no experience.
-----
Tom,
I'm glad to hear your experiences last year are the same as our four years were back in the mid '90's.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 09:17   #27

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Last week, on an otherwise quiet evening, a fugitive cop-killer boarded a liveaboard's boat at my yacht club in quiet, boring San Diego. He tried to have the kidnapped, older owner sneak him out of town and across the border. In the fugitive's haste, having cut the dock lines with a knife, all he achieved was a fouled prop. Fortunately, for the owner, this was settled with an uncomfortable period of being bound and gagged, while the bad guy escaped to kill some more police officers, and ultimately meet his end in a burning mountain cabin. Nasty things happen to good people in the safest of locations. Go figure.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 10:41   #28
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
Apparently not.

Vigilantes and wannabes sound the same everywhere.
Apparently, you've completely missed my point, Six.

The incident I related occurred in Rio Dulce, Guatemala . . . and it absolutely nipped the problem in the bud. That doesn't mean, though, that I was advocating those in Mexico who might be hurt economically by lost tourist dollars resort to murder to protect their financial well-being.

Rather, I was suggesting that it is in the Mexicans' best interest to move quickly, investigate thoroughly and bring the perps to justice before the notion that tourists can be violated with impunity takes root.

TaoJones
Old 21-02-2013, 10:44   #29

tao--the port captains and police and navy are informed of this incident and we are watching to see what follows...
Old 21-02-2013, 11:07   #30
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
. . . and it absolutely nipped the problem in the bud. .

TaoJones
If these idiotts didnt open their door at 2am there wouldnt be a bud to nip!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico