Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 14:09   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: Bad day for Artemis Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
problem is that none of that excitement translates on video. Let's face it, the multis were just (yet) another cynical attempt to limit the field.
Have you seen the 72 footers on video? Search "Americas Cup" on Youtube. Sure beats looking at 12 meters or ACR's on video.

Larry Ellison wanted a boat that would be exciting for the lay person to watch. I think he exceeded at that.....even with all the other problems that the race is having. I think it was worth a try and I still do think it was worth it.

I think that going back to monohulls slogging around a course at 12 knots would be a step backwards.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 15:35   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Have you seen the 72 footers on video? Search "Americas Cup" on Youtube. Sure beats looking at 12 meters or ACR's on video.

Larry Ellison wanted a boat that would be exciting for the lay person to watch. I think he exceeded at that.....even with all the other problems that the race is having. I think it was worth a try and I still do think it was worth it.

I think that going back to monohulls slogging around a course at 12 knots would be a step backwards.
Yes, I have. No sense of perspective or speed. And, it goes without saying that there's not much to watch tactics-wise. Yawn.
Old 19-09-2013, 01:14   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post

I think that once there was more competition with the monohulls
spartaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 08:21   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartaco View Post
I think that once there was more competition with the monohulls
I dont know... seems there have been plenty of lopsided AC events in the past. In fact a competitive race seems like an anomaly thinking back. Were some good ones though. It's a two boat race... seems like that will almost create a situation where one boat is faster... in the average wind at the event. Wasnt unusual in the monos for there to often be 1-2 minutes between boats at the finish.... in that light this has been more competitive.
Wouldnt it be nice if it wasnt about the boats, but the crews? two identical boats......

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
racing