Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2010, 10:04   #1
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Beware - Free 'Cruising' Scam!

In today's Los Angeles Times, writer David Lazarus reports on an ingenious scam he'd recently encountered. Since the bait for the trap is a free two-day, two-night Bahamas cruise, I can see how the CF membership might be especially vulnerable to the premise of the ruse.

From today's Times:

Cruise offer gets beached

(Bud Gundersen / July 4, 2009)

"Promises of a free Caribbean cruise for participation in a brief survey.

By David Lazarus
February 19, 2010

"A free Caribbean cruise -- and all you have to do is participate in a brief phone and online survey.

"Sweet!

"I received just such a call on my office line a few days ago and eagerly dove in. Who wouldn't want a two-day, two-night, all-inclusive cruise to the Bahamas?

"First I had to respond to a series of automated questions. . ."

For the rest of the story, go to:

Cruise offer gets beached - latimes.com

TaoJones
Old 19-02-2010, 10:44   #2

They all are questionable at best

I have had three or four deals come along from time to time, that offered free something for simply taking a survey. All of them gave me a bad feeling, and most asked too many personal questions the answers to which I was not willing to divulge. Only one I ever took up was for a free bottle of Kalua and a bottle of Tequila in Matzatlan, for listening to a pitch for a time share. The sales pitch was long, and very high pressured, and then I had to argue for the liquor. Never again will I go for one of these "free" something deals. They all are either totally illegal, or borderline illegal. Someone is gonna make a buck off of you.
Nice N Easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 11:12   #3

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
The long standing truism that there's no such thing as a free lunch applies here.

Computer surveys are a lucertive way to gain information on an individual in order to sell that information to a third party.
Be very careful of any credit reporting service that askes for your credit card numbers along with there experation dates.

Facebook and Twitter are also selling information that people have entered on their websites.

There is an email provider who scans their members emails to sniff around for keywords to target ads to them that they may be interested in.

Your employer can request, from your system adminstrater, a listing, and the duration, of internet websits that you are on during the hours you're supposed to be working.

I wish I were still cruising.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 11:18   #4

Boat: Cal 34
Well, if someone honestly thinks they will get something for free for just answering a few questions, no strings attached, eventually will have a very rude awakening.
S/VSkylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 11:25   #5

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Free Caribbean Cruise

Come aboard an Irwin 41' CC Ketch...All expenses except air fare and those ashore are included..5 star meals..Privet cabin and bath...
Air Conditioning, Movies, 14'RIB and Dive gear provided as well as instruction.

note Collage fund deposits and Mortgage payments will be included in Gratuity.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 11:27   #6

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Timeshare sales pitches are ok if you remember your just there for the beer, after 1 hour smile and walk out with the prize.
Old 19-02-2010, 11:55   #7
cruiser

A friend was offered a free breakfast if he went to a condo sales pitch, in Cabo. He took his wife and three kids . Truew the taxi was free and they got fed. When he got back tot he boat tha taxi driver wanted cab fare. He said 'I was told it was all free." The cab driver siad "No, only the cab fare there was free, cab fare home was not." Others were waiting to take the trip. Will said "If it's not , I'm going to start talking real loud, and the rest of these people are sure going to hear me". The cab driver said "OK , its free'." then truned around to take the rest out.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote