Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2010, 05:34   #16

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
It is interesting that we don't hear anything about the American companies involved...
... "Duck and cover"...

It always seems so much worse when it happens on US soil.
Ok so here comes the US bashing......im done with this ********
Old 20-06-2010, 05:38   #17

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor View Post
This is an idea that has been promoted by the State of Florida since I was a wee little toe headed kid. Not a bad idea if you ask me. Oil companies can not be trusted to do things within the law or the regulations and government agencies can not be trusted to enforce their own regulations or protect the public. Do away with the whole nightmare.
I was being blatantly sarcastic.
I am sure you realise that my point was that as long as we use 3hp motors instead of oars, and rider mowers instead of hand shears-nothing will change.
I will bet you that Farr 52 has a 20ft sweep oar, and not a diesel--yeah right!!
Old 20-06-2010, 05:41   #18

Quote:
The project was 5 months behind schedule. Projects that are 5 months behind schedule are sure to draw the attention of upper management, trust me on that one.
Indeed, I would not disagree, but this is a company with hundreds, perhaps several thousand, projects running. Some of them are guaranteed to be late, it is unavoidable and therefore probably nothing special.

Quote:
Besides, who is saying anything about British blame?
Err.... I suggest you listen to the collected speeches of one Mr B Obama. Or the performance a few days ago in the Congress with the politicians determined to look good on telly by blaming those d*mned foreign oil companies.

Quote:
This is about Mr. Hayward going sailing and the fury that decision has caused.
Yes, they are quite right. He should be at the bottom of the Gulf in a deep submersible helping Bruce Willis save the world, after all no one in BP is more qualified at deep sea operations than the CEO..

What d*mn difference does it make if he takes a day off? You think that the people who really know what to do will down tools and put their feet up because the boss has had a day off? What does Obama want? For Hayward to stand over his staff and micromanage them to death?

If the boss needs to be there *personally* to ensure that people leap into action, then why is Obama sitting on his backside in the Whitehouse? Why isn't he down on the Gulf coast making sure that everyone does their bit promptly and quickly? Could it be he's using a management technique called "delegation", the same technique that it seems Hayward is not allowed?

One final point. Personally, I'd fire Hayward. I think he has done an awful job of representing his company's position and I think he has made a bad situation worse and he is poisioning US/UK relations with his cack-handedness. He is doing none of us any favours, but CEO or not, it is BP's technical people that will sort this, not their CEO.
Old 20-06-2010, 05:46   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
...Though the TV is full of bloodthirsty talk the average American on the ground doesn't want revenge, they just want their livelihood back and their land/coast to heal.
A very good point Erika.
Old 20-06-2010, 06:50   #20

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
For info - he has been "moved to another role" and his position after the oil spill is taken over by an American Robert Dudley, Managing Director of the American Ops. Reasons given are that Mr Hayward has upset the general public with his comments and had a detrimental effect on the company .Full interviews here.

BP Chairman Carl-Henric Svanberg Says Embattled CEO Tony Hayward To Have Changed Oil Spill Role | Business | Sky News

I
Old 20-06-2010, 07:22   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adax View Post
For info - he [Hayward] has been "moved to another role" I
Good. He was, IMO, totally unsuited for the very public role his (former) position now entails.

I hope he spends more time on his boat or sailing with his son. He needs to be out of the limelight and away from reporters. Where better than out at sea for a few weeks.
Old 20-06-2010, 07:28   #22
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
In any manner the personalities of the current company with problems does not matter at all.

For all of us, Americans, Europeans and the rest of the developed world, we must acknowledge that oil is absolutely a top priority to our civilization. Theres no use whining about it.

It has caused wars, and, I believe will cause a huge upheval soon as one religion owns the oil another religion wants.

If we wish to do something it must be at the political level (quickly!) to have alternate fuels (not Oil Palm!).

It is behoven on us all to realize how important energy is to humankind. That energy doesnt need to majoritively come from oil.

If we wait till the oil price goes up and alternates become economic we will have missed the boat plus we are playing into the 'opositions' hands. Oil will always be with us. The earth floats on the damn stuff. However the price is controlled by OPEC.

In reality of Earth and Humankind, the Gulf of Mexico is just one small bay, and the state of Florida is inconsequentially small. Some guy sailing his boat is not the Chinese butterfly flapping.

As for people becoming antzy about this subject, just remember, an angry mind gets you nowhere, but a blank mind under stress to perform can achieve miracles

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 20-06-2010, 07:37   #23

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
In reality of Earth and Humankind, the Gulf of Mexico is just one small bay, and the state of Florida is inconsequentially small.
Tony Hayward could not have said it better Mark!

Old 20-06-2010, 07:41   #24

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
In any manner the personalities of the current company with problems does not matter at all.

For all of us, Americans, Europeans and the rest of the developed world, we must acknowledge that oil is absolutely a top priority to our civilization. Theres no use whining about it.

It has caused wars, and, I believe will cause a huge upheval soon as one religion owns the oil another religion wants.

If we wish to do something it must be at the political level (quickly!) to have alternate fuels (not Oil Palm!).

It is behoven on us all to realize how important energy is to humankind. That energy doesnt need to majoritively come from oil.

If we wait till the oil price goes up and alternates become economic we will have missed the boat plus we are playing into the 'opositions' hands. Oil will always be with us. The earth floats on the damn stuff. However the price is controlled by OPEC.

In reality of Earth and Humankind, the Gulf of Mexico is just one small bay, and the state of Florida is inconsequentially small. Some guy sailing his boat is not the Chinese butterfly flapping.

As for people becoming antzy about this subject, just remember, an angry mind gets you nowhere, but a blank mind under stress to perform can achieve miracles

Mark
Quite right Mark. Except that humans so not do things pro-actively no matter what the situation. We react. History shows that. So we will not institute an alternative till it is economically required. That will happen. It will just take a little more time - like till the cost of oil energy is high enough for other energy sources to appear cheaper.

My opinions before this thread is closed.

BP is not the only company slipping along. It is just the scape goat.

The US government is actually at fault for not enforcing laws and policies that are written in hard ink. It is the US government (the people of the US) that are ultimately to blame for letting this happen.

Tough to accept but that is what the bottom line is.

OK, I got my say in. You mods can close the thread now, thanks!!
Old 20-06-2010, 07:49   #25

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Tony Hayward was just facilitating your need for oil. If you don't like oil spills sell your car and get rid of your boat's engine. It is your fault. It is my fault.

You want to point fingers go to the bathroom and point one into the mirror.
Old 20-06-2010, 07:50   #26
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This thread was probably not a good fit for Cruisers Forum in any event, and it will never be anything but political and divisive. That said,

Thread Closed.
Closed Thread