Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2008, 17:20   #16

Sunspot...how do you think single-handers cross oceans? The safety of this is always questioned by some, but all passage-making single-handers DO sleep and at 107 miles out to sea...he was not on a day sail.

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 14:01   #17

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Most of the single handers I know take a series of "cat naps" waking every 10 to 15 minutes to look around. From this quote it sounded he like he had sacked out.

Of course in the dark even a good lookout might miss a lost container or whale or who knows what. From the damage to the boat it would seem to have hit something. It doesn't say he was awakened by a bang or jolt, he just woke to find the boat sinking.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 14:17   #18
Eternal Member

Cam,

"What was interesting was that the cruise ship could be heard quite clearly this time as well. They must be allowed to use a high power rig as well. Anyone know for sure"

To my knowledge, commercial ships are limited to 25-watt output VHF radios, just as are pleasure boats. High-end Furuno's with all the bells and whistles, for example, are just 25 watts.

No doubt the better transmission capability of cruiseships is due to the very elevated position of their antennas and to all that steel underneath them, which makes for a great ground plane :-)

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:51   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
... To my knowledge, commercial ships are limited to 25-watt output VHF radios, just as are pleasure boats. High-end Furuno's with all the bells and whistles, for example, are just 25 watts.
No doubt the better transmission capability of cruiseships is due to the very elevated position of their antennas and to all that steel underneath them, which makes for a great ground plane :-)
Bill
The Federal Communications Commission limits VHF radios, aboard recreational boats, to 25 Watts maximum power.
Towing companies and the Coast Guard have exemptions from the recreational power limit of 25 w.
Since I’ve seen many* VHF radios, marketed as “Commercial Mobile”, with Tx outputs of 50 & 75 Watts, perhaps (?) there are other exceptions, as well.

* ie: ICOM IC-F121 VHF Commercial Mobile 2-Way Radio has a 50 Watt output.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:26   #20
Eternal Member

Yes, Gord, the Coast Guard and maybe others are excepted. But, I don't believe commercial ships, such as cruise ships, are excepted.

There are lots and lots of VHF radios with power outputs way exceeding the 25 watt limitation for marine radios. I have a VHF ham radio on my boat which puts out 45 watts, and many will do a 100 or more with amplifiers. These, however, are not marine radios, and are not intended for use in the marine service.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 16:15   #21

thanks guys...given the circumstances...i'll just assume it was atmospheric skip rather than an illegal radio!

sunspot...may be a good subject for a poll. I have yet to meet anyone that can actually do that for weeks at a time. I know I can't do it for mor than a couple of days. I have a friend that is crossing the pacific right now and getting plenty of sleep. I think cat naps are appropriate when near traffic and shipping lanes but you need real quality sleep on passage to make good decisions ...and the danger is small.

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rescue