Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2013, 06:01   #46

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version
Come visit North Dakota.. Third lowest state in crime rate, almost 2 out of every 100 persons has a concealed weapons permit. I feel pretty safe. Only water worth sailing is a big lake in the middle of the state though.. Sakakawea, bad thing is, it's froze over for about 6 months of the year.
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 15:08   #47

Boat: Pearson 365
Re: Chicago Sailor Killed in Nassau

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
We too are now in Nassau. A walk to Potter's Cay (under the bridge) yesterday, scored us a great conch salad and conch fritters. No doubt, a bit seedy here. Just use the same precautions as with any big city. No problem, mon......
We've had dinner there the last 2 nights in a row. It just can't be beat! Think Ceviche with conch. Delish!

Other reasons to go:

1) Albert's Marine. Totally set us up with an overhauled water pump">raw water pump for less than I could get the overhaul kit for in the States.

2) Phillips Sail Makers. Repaired our blown out sails with next day service, a very fair price, and perfect service.

3) Atlantis!
Wonko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 15:10   #48

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

I don't see any cruising gear though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	310.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	60915  
Old 18-05-2013, 05:53   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
We too are now in Nassau. A walk to Potter's Cay (under the bridge) yesterday, scored us a great conch salad and conch fritters. No doubt, a bit seedy here. Just use the same precautions as with any big city. No problem, mon......
I love Potter's Cay. I don't consider that a bad part of town. A good rule is that the farther you get away from the water, the worse it seems to get at night, in Nassau, as really general rule. If you look around and don't see any other tourists at night some place, you should really be wondering why.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 08:33   #50

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
As someone who lived in South Africa for many years and who still has many friends there, including white farmers, I say you need to get some perspective. 6 million people systematically exterminated is a holocaust. What is happening in South Africa cannot, on any level, be compared.

This does NOT diminish the fact that there is something brutal and ugly happening there to innocent people, that as you say is not getting enough attention. But people need to stop using the word "holocaust" outside of its proper context.

Sorry for the offtopic people, but just felt I had to respond to this.

Onno

JazzyO,
Holocaust is defined as a "destruction or slaughter on a mass scale especially caused by fire or nuclear war." oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/holocaust
The origins of the term come from the Old Testament meaning "a sacrificial offering burned on the altar." However, in modern usage it refers to the destruction or slaughter on a mass scale. The atrocities in Africa committed in Ruwanda, Somalia, Sudan, Ghana, Mozambique and those in Bosnia and now South Africa are referred to in History and throughout the internet as "holocausts" so the term is not solely the property of the Jewish people. My initial reason for mentioning South Africa in regards to the discussion on the murder in Nassau is to elucidate the potential for catastrophic collapse of "Civilization" when a society is not able to control negative forces of destruction. Since 1994, over 68,000 White South Africans have been killed, over 3,000 of whom are South African farmers, and the horror and brutality of the attacks are shocking. This is not simple murder, this is truly a holocaust--a slaughter on a mass scale. I suggest you take five minutes on the internet and look at the overwhelming evidence for this brutal and criminal holocaust commited by Blacks against an innocent people whose only crime is that they are White and successful. Thanks for the input. Good luck and good sailing.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 04:37   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I'm from Canada originally, so you can imagine the shock I got settling in to gunland. In the name of freedom and rights of course
Canadian criminals say Please. It more polite to our North.

I am sure the gun used by the thug was from the USA.

I take basic precautions when traveling in cities as per RICK STEVES (he is on PBS for the great unwashed). NO purse No Wallet No Gold. No worries.

Pickpockets and Snatchers will be at every cruise dock/festivals etc etc.

I salute the young man's actions on ethical grounds but common sense by those women would have prevented the crime and his death.A purse is not worth a death even for a Gucci or other slave made fashion statement of the month.
ParadiseParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 04:51   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseParrot View Post
Canadian criminals say Please. It more polite to our North.

I am sure the gun used by the thug was from the USA.

I take basic precautions when traveling in cities as per RICK STEVES (he is on PBS for the great unwashed). NO purse No Wallet No Gold. No worries.

Pickpockets and Snatchers will be at every cruise dock/festivals etc etc.

I salute the young man's actions on ethical grounds but common sense by those women would have prevented the crime and his death.A purse is not worth a death even for a Gucci or other slave made fashion statement of the month.
Well, in pretty much every human conflict, big or small, the level of confrontation always comes down to two choices, or somewhere in the middle of the two choices. Appeasement, with the hope that you aren't asked to give more than you can, or resistance, with the danger that you win big, or lose everything.

What's right for me, or you, may not be the same, or the same for anybody else.

But, there is no place on this planet where evil people do not roam. Short of living in a gated, and guarded community, and never going out, you must accept the fact that you will encounter them from time to time.

A lightning bolt can mess you up pretty bad, too. I've had the same amount of good friends killed by them, as by criminals (two each).
Old 23-05-2013, 09:09   #53

One gentlemen mentions his low crime rate area and gun permits. Sadly one has nothing to do with the other.Wish it did then the crime issue could be solved right? Low crime rate area around the world have two things in common Community and Homogeneous population. When you mix cultures , socioeconomic groups and races/religions you get conflict. Cities are these melting pots and you will have crime and conflict. The smart man takes precautions. I feel for that young mans family as I might have done the same at his age and I compliment them on his obvious good upbringing.Peace
ParadiseParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 05:48   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseParrot View Post
One gentlemen mentions his low crime rate area and gun permits. Sadly one has nothing to do with the other.Wish it did then the crime issue could be solved right? Low crime rate area around the world have two things in common Community and Homogeneous population. When you mix cultures , socioeconomic groups and races/religions you get conflict. Cities are these melting pots and you will have crime and conflict. The smart man takes precautions. I feel for that young mans family as I might have done the same at his age and I compliment them on his obvious good upbringing.Peace
Well, there are a lot of different things that affect the crime rate. I've lived and worked in a lot of different places, in the US and in other countries, as federal law enforcement agent, and I've seen a lot of the same denominators in the good and the bad places.

I won't say what my opinion is on it because it is not very politically correct and there is no point in peeing in the punch, anyway.

I'm sorry this man died (but, his death just reinforces the opinion I already had, and confirmed what I already knew). There are a lot of ways ignorance can get you killed. Crime is just one of them.

Tags
nassau