Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2010, 17:01   #16

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Loved this statement in the linked news article:
"Colvin said the cocaine had apparently been offloaded from the catamaran to the yacht."

So....the big catamaran isn't also a yacht?

Judy
S/V BeBe
Amel SM2 #387
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 17:20   #17

Boat: 22' Avalon Pontoon - The WINE BARge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post
one can only imagine what the interiors now look like as they have probably pulled them to pieces and it could be costly to put them back together
Also, will drug sniffing dogs EVER go on that boat and NOT smell drugs?
RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 17:34   #18

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotQuiteLost View Post
While I suspect that your suspicions are correct, I further suspect that any time big publicity is made of a situation like this, it merely foreshadows some politician's BRILLIANT! idea to curtail freedoms in some way, all in the interests of 'protecting' people.

Call me cynical...
Hey... you got a 'Sir' out of it! I've never got a Sir.... Cur maybe..

I'm going to have a go at out-cynical..ling you.

You're a bit harsh on governments and pollies don't you think? The way they selflessly burn the midnight oil to protect us from unimaginable horrors (and count on us not being able to imagine them.) 'tongue firmly in cheek icon'

Every year the government (Aussie) slinks into a meeting with the other recreational drug industry...

"Same deal as last year?".. hooded industry guy.

"Pretty much. We're jacking up the price a fair bit. The voters think we're acting in the interests of their health... suckers. Truth is we reckon we can squeeze more than $6billion this time. And besides so many are trying to give up we HAVE to do something."

"How much do we get out of that increase?"

"Nuthin'. You're a disgusting, parasitic industry here on tollerance.."

"You haven't forgotten we're going to kill off... mmmm.... lets say.. about 18-20 thousand of your voters again this year?"

"Yeah. Bit of a shame about that. Do you really have to?"

"Fraid so... cost of doing business. Hey.. on the ones that put up a bit of a fight, well, you're still scoring general sales tax and company tax on the patches and lozenges too remember".

"You really have to kill off 20,000 don't you...?" (rhetorical question).

"You knew the deal before you sat down. You're not developing a conscience are you? You don't even know them... they're nothing. More get killed in one Chinese earthquake. Keep thinking of all that money!"

"Yeah. It's a good deal really. By the way, have you managed to come up with any ideas on how we can both cash in on the white powder/green leaf trade?"

"Well... you guys have to legalize it first."

"I know. We got the safe injecting rooms in... it's a start. Small steps. Keep your team working on it..."

How'm I doin'?

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 17:36   #19

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat View Post
Also, will drug sniffing dogs EVER go on that boat and NOT smell drugs?
Very good point I hadn't thought of that one - it would be very hard to explain your way out of such a situation in a foreign country and I don't see any way around it.

It wouldn't be of any use just having proof that the vessel was purchased from Customs and was an ex drug running boat as this would be a good loophole to exploit for another drug running syndicate to purchase the vessel and do more drug runs and try and use it's past history as an excuse for a drug dogs interest.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 18:18   #20
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
Quote:
They were trailed until the yacht docked at Brisbane's Scarborough Marina.
Thats really close to me!
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 18:49   #21

Boat: None yet. :(
Legalize everything. Then this sort of nonsense wouldn't happen. If there's a 1ooo% markup to be made in smuggling the stuff, of COURSE people are going to do it. If you can get it at your local pharmacy (as Coca-Cola will attest), people won't go to the trouble.

I will now stop, as I can feel the beginnings of a "Small government" rant stirring deep within lol.
omdufro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 22:24   #22

Location: Paradise (better known to most people as: Philippines)
Boat: 65' Custom Steel Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post

You're a bit harsh on governments and pollies don't you think? The way they selflessly burn the midnight oil to protect us from unimaginable horrors (and count on us not being able to imagine them.) 'tongue firmly in cheek icon'

Every year the government (Aussie) slinks into a meeting with the other recreational drug industry...

"Pretty much. We're jacking up the price a fair bit. The voters think we're acting in the interests of their health... suckers. Truth is we reckon we can squeeze more than $6billion this time. And besides so many are trying to give up we HAVE to do something."

"You haven't forgotten we're going to kill off... mmmm.... lets say.. about 18-20 thousand of your voters again this year?"

"Fraid so... cost of doing business. Hey.. on the ones that put up a bit of a fight, well, you're still scoring general sales tax and company tax on the patches and lozenges too remember".

"You knew the deal before you sat down. You're not developing a conscience are you? You don't even know them... they're nothing. More get killed in one Chinese earthquake. Keep thinking of all that money!"

"Yeah. It's a good deal really. By the way, have you managed to come up with any ideas on how we can both cash in on the white powder/green leaf trade?"

"I know. We got the safe injecting rooms in... it's a start. Small steps. Keep your team working on it..."

How'm I doin'?

You're doin' just fine. It's unfortunate that all of these things get monetized at the government level, and then their 'punishments' become nothing more than revenue streams. Talk about feeding on the suffering of others.

And I'm not even necessarily anti-tobacco. Or anti-alcohol. I'm just opposed to having the people who are supposed to be protecting and serving the interests of the general public actively leeching off of their constituent's livelihoods and not owning up to the fact. That, and I'm against expanding bureaucracies (woohoo! spelled it right on the first try this time!).
NotQuiteLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 23:57   #23

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Could have been a Chris "White" design that tipped then off..:

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 00:12   #24

Location: Paradise (better known to most people as: Philippines)
Boat: 65' Custom Steel Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Could have been a Chris "White" design that tipped then off..:
Or the excessively robust "powder" coat?
NotQuiteLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 01:21   #25

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Here it is

Is it possibly a Simpson Cat built by Alwoplast?

No cat like it on Alwoplast site, so perhaps not

Here it is, Gold Coast Catamarans
Quote:
CRUISING YACHTS
GC44C - Edelweiss

Designed for a German couple for short handed sailing on an extended world cruise, Edelweiss centralized accommodation plan has a king size berth, nav station, dining area and galley all on the main deck for long term live-aboard comfort. The GC44C is the perfect boat for going around the world… or just around the harbor.
Specifications,Drawings and photo's
http://www.goldcoastyachts.com/yacht...GC44Cindex.htm

Old 15-10-2010, 02:58   #26

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post
As these two vessels have now been impounded by Customs in Brisbane they will eventually sell them so they could be a good buy but then again one can only imagine what the interiors now look like as they have probably pulled them to pieces and it could be costly to put them back together.

I saw the mono on the TV news last night and it was a very nice looking vessel.

I'm interested to see what make the cat is when it arrives in Brisbane.
Don't hold your breath, when I was an apprentice we got to work on an aircraft that had been donated to the tech school by the government after it had been confiscated for drug running.
There were birds nests in it and corrosion everywhere because it had sat for years pending all the trials etc.
It had been a top of the line model with all the gear top spec turbocharged engines and electronics to die for.
Still it was put to good use training young engineers.
Maybe they can put these boats to good use one day to help young people who's lives have been messed up by drugs.

The sad thing I heard on the radio today is that now that ecstasy is getting hard to get people are trying a new drug that's no ones heard of but could be worse.

The other interesting thing I read in the paper is that cocaine imported to Australia has something like 25 times the profit margin of that imported to USA.

Better get used to saying hello to our friends from customs on the way over from USA.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 05:45   #27

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post

How'm I doin'?
Very good sir! You hit the nail on the head. There is no way drug trafficing can be successful without someone on the payroll. I know someone who works in a prison that routinely confiscates piles of illegal drugs from the prisoners, (who have been subjected to full body cavity search, and live in a concrete box with no windows). If we can't keep them out of the hands of someone who has every waking moment controlled by an armed guard what possible hope do we have of keeping them out of a 1000 mile boarder. And spend billions in enforcement that only protects the high profits for smugglers, (and provides a convenient method of eliminating competition).
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 07:39   #28
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by omdufro View Post
Legalize everything. Then this sort of nonsense wouldn't happen. If there's a 1ooo% markup to be made in smuggling the stuff, of COURSE people are going to do it......

I can feel the beginnings of a "Small government" rant stirring deep within lol.
Too true - flood the ,arket and slap taxes on! Look what the high tax did to smoking in the UK, and look at the smoking rates in developing countries where cigarettes are cheap...
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 09:25   #29

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotQuiteLost View Post
Or the excessively robust "powder" coat?
Maybe all us "Blow" Boats are high suspect..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 19:27   #30

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Here it is, Gold Coast Catamarans

Specifications,Drawings and photo's
Gold Coast Yachts - GC44C Edelweiss

Nice detective work Cat man do in tracking down the manufacturer - it certainly is a nice looking vessel. I wonder if the "german couple" are still involved with it?
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia