Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2020, 15:11   #226
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Covidiot Cruisers in the Solomon Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I meant that the rescue agencies can upgrade anything they like to a distress status.

It’s not a question of mayday over pan pan , a rescue agency could simply decide its a distress call irrespective of mayday pan pan or a mobile phone call from an onlooker or whatever.

A “ distress “ is not determined solely by the use of a PROWORD

Hence the skipper could decide to issue a pan pan but that could invoke a full distress response
Old 28-12-2020, 16:02   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Look mate, you have no idea what happened but seem intent on smearing their characters rather than just saying "I dont know" what happened.

Theres two of us here that actually do have the facts and I assure you the reality is very different from the reality you are trying to paint. How do you know they have done nothing to back up their claims?
Actually none of us have the facts. Hence leaving an open mind.

Some may have additional information which they believe as fact. Which is currently, just one side of a story from one perspective.

The other side of the story, would be the Solomon Islands authorities view of what they believe to be facts from their perspective.

The truth is likely, something in between.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 17:42   #228

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
If you know the facts them make them available otherwise my speculation is as good as the next persons

I have tried to keep my comments about the general motivation rather then the specifics of their alleged illegal entry

I’ve repeatedly made the point that I accept they may have taken a risk and broke the rules. I’m not judging their response on finding the engine and water issue , but as I said they make have to accept the consequences
It's not my place to explain the "facts" , theres an ongoing situation, but absent of these facts dosen't give you the right to make your own facts up, or suggest facts.

As I've said several times here maybe it's best for you and others to just realize you actually have no clue to actually what has happened. Put your ego in your pocket and maybe show abit of compassion?
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 17:45   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
Ha ha.

The article describes the boats as a “Rogue French Yacht”
Which arrived asked for mangoes.
Was refused entry and left.

Presumably the rogue French yacht, did at least turn up at a port of entry.
And did comply with existing regulations.

Perhaps if the boats in question had chosen to arrive at a port of entry this whole situation would have been avoided.
They might still have been refused entry. Or restricted but they would probably have been provided water.
Maybe it wasnt safe, wise or possible at the time to keep going to the official port of entry? Maybe the best thing was to stop?
Old 28-12-2020, 18:20   #230

Quote:
Maybe it wasnt safe, wise or possible at the time to keep going to the official port of entry? Maybe the best thing was to stop?
Unknown. Is the best I can say.

While I might be of the opinion the severity of their actions is relatively minor as in no actual harm done.
The local authorities who’s rules were not followed might think differently.

Unfortunately as a result of their choice of action the crews of both boats find themselves in an actual difficult legal situation facing actual charges.
The severity of possible consequences of which I don’t know.
One hopes it will not be to severely applied.

Part of this may be the result of COVID and fears of COVID.

Reality, entry requirements are important all the time. Not following them is problematic.

There appears to be a common feeling entry requirements don’t need to be complied with. Right of free passage ect.

The lesson here, not complying, regardless of what your opinion is. Could lead to a great deal of inconvenience and troubles.

Reality. As soon as a vessel enters the territory of a country, the vessel and crew become subject to the laws of the country and the country’s interpretation of the laws.

There appears to be significant general misconception about what rights exist.
Old 28-12-2020, 18:34   #231

Quote:
Unknown. Is the best I can say.

While I might be of the opinion the severity of their actions is relatively minor as in no actual harm done.
The local authorities who’s rules were not followed might think differently.

Unfortunately as a result of their choice of action the crews of both boats find themselves in an actual difficult legal situation facing actual charges.
The severity of possible consequences of which I don’t know.
One hopes it will not be to severely applied.

Part of this may be the result of COVID and fears of COVID.

Reality, entry requirements are important all the time. Not following them is problematic.

There appears to be a common feeling entry requirements don’t need to be complied with. Right of free passage ect.

The lesson here, not complying, regardless of what your opinion is. Could lead to a great deal of inconvenience and troubles.

Reality. As soon as a vessel enters the territory of a country, the vessel and crew become subject to the laws of the country and the country’s interpretation of the laws.

There appears to be significant general misconception about what rights exist.
Yes, uknown is the best YOU can say.
Old 28-12-2020, 18:49   #232

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Dale, even if you were to lay out all the facts for all to see (I am NOT suggesting that you do) some here would still argue to the contrary.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 20:05   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Dale, even if you were to lay out all the facts for all to see (I am NOT suggesting that you do) some here would still argue to the contrary.
I know, I just dont get that! I dont understand why fellow sailors need to hang these guys out based on so little (incorrect )information.

At the start of this thread I didn't know all the facts but I do know Mike and Marie and have seen them respect the officialdom all year , they have not cut a corner even when it's been costing them quite some money, therefore I defended them based on how I've seen them handle the year to date.

Now through direct conversations with Mike (even as recently as 5 mins ago) I can assure all here its not a simple case of not respecting the law or thinking they are above the law! It's just so easy for keyboard legends to make this a black and white hes the bad guy lock him up case.

These are good people that are in a difficult situation, the lack of compassion from some fellow sailors here IMO is just heartless and cold, I'm not sure what they get out of it.

It's been interesting observing human behavior this year.
Old 28-12-2020, 20:22   #234

I get it they are your friends so you accept their version and interpretation of events.

It’s is only one side of the story.

Why do you think, there is no compassion,
I may have doubts about the wisdom of their actions. Doesn’t mean I am not concerned about the potential outcome.
Old 28-12-2020, 20:43   #235
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
I get it they are your friends so you accept their version and interpretation of events.

It’s is only one side of the story.

Why do you think, there is no compassion,
I may have doubts about the wisdom of their actions. Doesn’t mean I am not concerned about the potential outcome.
This is Sad!
You take a fellow sailor in trouble, question his honesty and wish him well.!!!!?

How Wise of you and others...
, to use this persons legal problem to make philosophical points and criticisms on a public forum.

Most of the good captains I know, study hard, learn their craft but often go with a gut feellng based on all the known variables at the time.

Why Dont you start another thread
"How to make wise and correct decisions during a global pandemic"

I'm sure there will be many intently following your roadmap to trouble free sailing.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 21:16   #236
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
I meant that the rescue agencies can upgrade anything they like to a distress status.

It’s not a question of mayday over pan pan , a rescue agency could simply decide its a distress call irrespective of mayday pan pan or a mobile phone call from an onlooker or whatever.

A “ distress “ is not determined solely by the use of a PROWORD
OK, thanks for the explanation, I now understand the intent of your previous post.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 21:20   #237

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
I know, I just dont get that! I dont understand why fellow sailors need to hang these guys out based on so little (incorrect )information.

At the start of this thread I didn't know all the facts but I do know Mike and Marie and have seen them respect the officialdom all year , they have not cut a corner even when it's been costing them quite some money, therefore I defended them based on how I've seen them handle the year to date.

Now through direct conversations with Mike (even as recently as 5 mins ago) I can assure all here its not a simple case of not respecting the law or thinking they are above the law! It's just so easy for keyboard legends to make this a black and white hes the bad guy lock him up case.

These are good people that are in a difficult situation, the lack of compassion from some fellow sailors here IMO is just heartless and cold, I'm not sure what they get out of it.

It's been interesting observing human behavior this year.
This is pretty common on CF. A form of blame the victim. What you get out of doing this is the strong reassurance that you would never be in this bad situation because you would have done differently. Kind of a self preservation self talk.

For me I'm on the fence on this event. Need more info, but on the face of it I see ow people are drawing negative conclusions. I hope they get out of there with minimum financial damage to themselves and minimum bad feelings toward cruisers from the officials.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 21:29   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
This is Sad!
You take a fellow sailor in trouble, question his honesty and wish him well.!!!!?

How Wise of you and others...
, to use this persons legal problem to make philosophical points and criticisms on a public forum.

Most of the good captains I know, study hard, learn their craft but often go with a gut feellng based on all the known variables at the time.

Why Dont you start another thread
"How to make wise and correct decisions during a global pandemic"

I'm sure there will be many intently following your roadmap to trouble free sailing.
Never said it is question of honesty.

Just pointing out there are two sides to every story. Or in this case interpretations of law.

They might have thought they were right, The Solomon Islands authorities apparently don’t agree.
Old 30-12-2020, 04:52   #239
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Covidiot Cruisers in the Solomon Islands

This is not a normal time, there is a global pandemic , lots of freedoms are curtailed

You have two choices , accept it and get on with what you can do.

Engage in thinking and or actions that in essence result in civil disobedience . That’s fine , but tug must accept that might have consequences.

What gets up my nose , is the sub thread that says , these people( any sailor ) did no wrong , hence we shouldn’t be blaming them.

Based on the details in this thread , clearly they broke the law. ( as far as the SI authorities believe )

Hence they will have to face the consequences

I don’t see where compassion comes into it. My friend drives over the speed limit , he often gets fined , I might sympathise with him but I have no compassion per se.

In my case I’m more interested in the mentality that undertakes a sailing journey in a pandemic , similar to the incident in the Med with the Australian couple

I don’t really have a view on the SI situation , if they are judged to have broken then laws of entry especially the restrictions due to the pandemic , I presume they will be punished accordingly

As for the facts , this is a partly public forum , so we can only deal with whatever is presented to us. If people don’t want it discussed don’t post anything

( as an aside I completely disagree that somehow these pandemic restrictions are fostered on us by “ Gubberment”. My view is that given the reins , the general population would have elected for a far harsher restriction of liberties then the Gov actually mandated)
Old 30-12-2020, 16:07   #240

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Four posts have been deleted, 2 off topic and 2 which quoted the deleted post.

PLEASE refrain from posting political gripes on CF. Thank you.

JPA Cate

Tags
cruise, cruiser