Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2021, 07:50   #271

Boat: Bali 4.0
Re: Covidiot Cruisers in the Solomon Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Quote Skipmac
would never depend solely on a watermaker for a long trip and would make sure I had adequate reserves in separate storage for drinking water to get me to my destination or at least a viable safe haven
unquote

My understanding is that their R/O system is engine driven and they had some unfixable (at sea) main engine problem.

Further north is the doldrum / ITCZ so if unable to motor thru, a prudent skipper would seek a safe haven to effect repairs and water.
The SI was a logical emergency stop and I think being unable to motor at night to Honiara probably influenced them to drop anchor where they could get a message to the capital.
I agree with you 100% about not depending on the R/O alone (especially since they aren't even close to their intended destination), and I would very much like to give them the benefit of the doubt - but IF this was indeed a true emergency stop WHY would they not have simply proceeded to the port where water (or engine help) were more likely to be available, rather than dropping anchor off another island nearby?
Seems this would have been the common sense approach in any era, much less during a pandemic if motives were pure and the goal was only to get emergency assistance.

To me this is where the story appears more likely a plausible excuse after being caught than an actual reason for stopping... but since the captain is the only one who knows the actual circumstances we may never truly know.

Yes Dale... I am aware you have 2 sides of the story while rest of us only have one, but even your "knowledge" is based on whatever the captain has chosen to share with you, which i'm afraid still doesn't make it fact.
Much like you I watched countless boats break the rules and ignore protocol this year during Covid... I also happen to have one very dear friend/captain who with us had followed all of the rules exactly as written - until - during a long and rough 4day crossing they decided to pull over and sleep for a night. Last person I ever thought would... but that doesn't mean it didn't happen when conditions changed (and that doesn't mean the story he tells now matches exactly what the chartplotter tracks show).

All we know here is that it seems there were some arguably questionable judgements made, and they have found themselves in an unenviable situation as a result.
Would any of the rest of us have made any better or worse decisions under the same circumstances? Who knows. Maybe after reading their story we will.

Hopefully they can depart soon and return home with little more impact than a working engine, a tank full of water and some good sundowner stories.
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:02   #272
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDangerz View Post
Seems this would have been the common sense approach in any era, much less during a pandemic if motives were pure and the goal was only to get emergency assistance.
To me this is where the story appears more likely a plausible excuse after being caught than an actual reason for stopping... but since the captain is the only one who knows the actual circumstances we may never truly know...
In this case, it's the Court's Opinion that will matter.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:41   #273

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDangerz View Post
I agree with you 100% about not depending on the R/O alone (especially since they aren't even close to their intended destination), and I would very much like to give them the benefit of the doubt - but IF this was indeed a true emergency stop WHY would they not have simply proceeded to the port where water (or engine help) were more likely to be available, rather than dropping anchor off another island nearby?
It is very possible that they didn't stop in the port because they had the parts to fix the problem themselves, and they just needed a protected area to fix the issue.

Perhaps they figured they could make the repairs and be on their way without disturbing people or causing people to over react. As you say, who knows? I think Gord May said it best; the courts will sort it out, and until then all we can do is ponder what happened.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:51   #274

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
It is very possible that they didn't stop in the port because they had the parts to fix the problem themselves, and they just needed a protected area to fix the issue.

Perhaps they figured they could make the repairs and be on their way without disturbing people or causing people to over react. As you say, who knows? I think Gord May said it best; the courts will sort it out, and until then all we can do is ponder what happened.

Foreigners in their country, unannounced, anchored in an out of the way place. Who would over-react to something like that?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 09:13   #275

Boat: Island Packet 40

To illustrate the extent of the over the top reaction to the covid monster under the bed.

Brisbane, the capital of the state of Queensland in Eastern Australia has locked down 2 million people for 3 days because a single case of covid has been detected.

That is 1 single case.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:25   #276
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
To illustrate the extent of the over the top reaction to the covid monster under the bed.
Brisbane, the capital of the state of Queensland in Eastern Australia has locked down 2 million people for 3 days because a single case of covid has been detected.
That is 1 single case.
Over the top? No! Just adequate.
Exponential growth results from one case becoming two, each of which replicates itself, resulting in four, then eight, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256 and so on.
Hit it early, and hit it hard!

Old 08-01-2021, 09:43   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Exponential growth results from one case becoming two, each of which replicates itself, resulting in four, then eight, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256 and so on.
Yep, and damn those private sector losers whose businesses we are wrecking, if they had public sector jobs they would not have all the stress and worry, they don't deserve any sympathy.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:53   #278
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yep, and damn those private sector losers whose businesses we are wrecking, if they had public sector jobs they would not have all the stress and worry, they don't deserve any sympathy.
Yes, they deserve our sympathy, and SUPPORT; but not supremacy.

Student asks his principal, "Where is my teacher?".

"Citywide layoffs", replies the principal.

"My text books?" asks the student.

"State austerity plan", says the principal.

"Student loan?" continues the student.

"Federal budget cuts", says the principal.

Finally, exasperated, student asks, "But how am I going to get an education?".

To which the equally exasperated principal replies ...

"This is your education".

Old 08-01-2021, 20:10   #279
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I look at this a bit differently Gord.

First, I will give the Skipper Mike, the benefit of the doubt that they had a real crisis of no engine, low on water, heading into the Doldrums with SI their last opportunity to rectify.

I also accept that he showed prudence by making a sail only first landfall during daylight and tried again to contact QCI, remotely, before sailing to the capital

Now, at quarantine anchorge, using vhf with other vessels locally to seek guidance, was there any real danger of spreading the virus?.

I think not!..... and just like any other medical triage process, this could have been managed with a view to solving the problems of a boat in distress, rather than adding to it.

Of course, I'm only a sailor, not a lawyer.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 19:28   #280

Boat: Catalina 470

I decided approx a week ago to no longer contribute to this thread as I just dont want to waste any more of my life arguing with people online I dont even know.

That said Mike and Marie now have a Go fund me site which I'm posting for them here.

I'm not asking anyone here to contribute, do or don't, none of my business.

Theres a very summarized version of events as part of the link below.

https://au.gofundme.com/f/distressed...25f6d756c34092
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 20:44   #281

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I decided approx a week ago to no longer contribute to this thread as I just dont want to waste any more of my life arguing with people online I dont even know.

That said Mike and Marie now have a Go fund me site which I'm posting for them here.

I'm not asking anyone here to contribute, do or don't, none of my business.

Theres a very summarized version of events as part of the link below.

https://au.gofundme.com/f/distressed...25f6d756c34092
Thanks for the information, Dale.

It is still all in the laps of the gods, isn't it?
Old 09-01-2021, 21:13   #282

In view of the recent weather nastiness in Fiji and the adverse experiences of yachties there does anyone wish to modify their stated opinions on the actions of "the covidiots" in attempting to clear out of a cyclone prone area?
Old 09-01-2021, 21:52   #283

Quote:
In view of the recent weather nastiness in Fiji and the adverse experiences of yachties there does anyone wish to modify their stated opinions on the actions of "the covidiots" in attempting to clear out of a cyclone prone area?
I am not familiar with the recent weather in that area. What sort of weather issues have been going on? Is it a case of predictions at this time of year, or is it a case of actual weather events?

Also, are there differences between the hurricanes in the Atlantic versus those in the Solomon Islands? For example, in the Caribbean the paths can vary dramatically. Is this also the case in the discussion area or do are they much more predictable and regular?
Old 09-01-2021, 22:18   #284
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
I am not familiar with the recent weather in that area. What sort of weather issues have been going on? Is it a case of predictions at this time of year, or is it a case of actual weather events?

Also, are there differences between the hurricanes in the Atlantic versus those in the Solomon Islands? For example, in the Caribbean the paths can vary dramatically. Is this also the case in the discussion area or do are they much more predictable and regular?
If you look at this latest Video from Zatara, it explains the recent Cyclone late December In Fiji.
So it was a real danger to yachts who stayed.

Those who tried to get out of the Cyclone season for Fiji were faced with limited safe haven options as were Mike and Marie

https://youtu.be/_k1budp_wRM

Fiji only averages about 2 Cyclones a year compared to Philippine Typhoons which average 20 a year, 5 of which are destructive.

1916 Cyclone Winston had +200 mph winds

I think the Fiji Cyclone tracks are easier to track as they're not influenced by large land mass system like Asia and the super warm water as you approach the Philippines.

Either way, this pandemic has created absurd choices for those trying to stay safe and protect their floating home
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 22:43   #285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
If you look at this latest Video from Zatara, it explains the recent Cyclone late December In Fiji.
So it was a real danger to yachts who stayed.

Those who tried to get out of the Cyclone season for Fiji were faced with limited safe haven options as were Mike and Marie

https://youtu.be/_k1budp_wRM

Fiji only averages about 2 Cyclones a year compared to Philippine Typhoons which average 20 a year, 5 of which are destructive.

1916 Cyclone Winston had +200 mph winds

I think the Fiji Cyclone tracks are easier to track as they're not influenced by large land mass system like Asia and the super warm water as you approach the Philippines.

Either way, this pandemic has created absurd choices for those trying to stay safe and protect their floating home

Thanks for the link and information. It explains a lot! Thanks again.

Tags
cruise, cruiser