Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2021, 08:51   #286

Boat: Bali 4.0
Re: Covidiot Cruisers in the Solomon Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
In view of the recent weather nastiness in Fiji and the adverse experiences of yachties there does anyone wish to modify their stated opinions on the actions of "the covidiots" in attempting to clear out of a cyclone prone area?
I don't think anyone here (or the officials in the SI) was questioning the decision to leave before cyclone season.
I think the questionable decisions were not storing enough water for the journey and/or wandering into a country currently locked down during a pandemic and assuming all would go well.

It sounds like they have a Garmin onboard and looks like at least one of the boats have had AIS turned on since departing Fiji.

I'm assuming that if either of the 2 vessels can simply show in their GPS tracks that they were indeed were making passage safely outside of the boundaries of the solomon islands but then paused/drifted for a while (during attempted engine repairs) and then afterward changed course/heading into the region looking for safe harbor - that all this goes away pretty easily for them as that would be tough to argue/deny in any court.

If their tracks show them pointing straight from Fiji To SI, I would imagine it will be a much harder/uphill battle in the courts.

I was surprised in listening to their interviews the GPS tracks weren't the first thing they brought up... I would be flashing our tracks in front of anyone who would listen/publish them!!
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 11:07   #287

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Covidiot Cruisers in the Solomon Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDangerz View Post
I think the questionable decisions were not storing enough water for the journey

I have started a separate thread to discuss, in general terms, the water reserve tradeoffs faced during crossings with smaller cruising catamarans.

Tags
cruise, cruiser