Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2020, 08:35   #76

Boat: Dragonfly 920 / 30 ft
Re: Covidiot Cruisers in the Solomon Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Sorry you think sailors are exempt from a countries laws, cause this thread isn’t about COVID
Where did I write as much? It's not about Covid? You must be reading another thread topic then.... "Covidiot Cruisers in the Solomon Islands" - which undoubtedly is a rather idiotic title given how far the Solomon Islands are from any other place by sailboat.
Simon.Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 09:08   #77

Boat: 26ft sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon.Sails View Post
Where did I write as much? It's not about Covid? You must be reading another thread topic then.... "Covidiot Cruisers in the Solomon Islands" - which undoubtedly is a rather idiotic title given how far the Solomon Islands are from any other place by sailboat.
Is it alright for cruisers to ignore/break laws of sovereign nations that they come upon in their travels? Is this acceptable?

Maybe the title should have been "---Idiot Cruisers in the Solomon Islands".
Old 14-12-2020, 09:39   #78

Boat: Dragonfly 920 / 30 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurOasis View Post
Is it alright for cruisers to ignore/break laws of sovereign nations that they come upon in their travels? Is this acceptable?

Maybe the title should have been "---Idiot Cruisers in the Solomon Islands".

Strawman argument again... I never suggested as much, just read my post at least once please...

I took mild offence to the title - people staying on boats for weeks on end are the exact opposite of covidiots, that's all. If you want to be outraged about people not following some local laws and regulations while cruising that's your right of course... Personally it's not something I care about, I just follow the rules myself.
Simon.Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 10:01   #79

Boat: Bali 4.0

Quote:

I took mild offence to the title - people staying on boats for weeks on end are the exact opposite of covidiots, that's all. If you want to be outraged about people not following some local laws and regulations while cruising that's your right of course... Personally it's not something I care about, I just follow the rules myself.
Seems an odd point you're trying to make either way...
In any period of time this is an idiodic dismissal of local regs, but add the current pandemic (regardless of how many days they've been at sea) and it's hard to not agree that it's more egregiously bad/careless/wreckless/arrogant and added some risk of infection to a group of people who didn't need it or ask for it.
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 11:07   #80

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Just because "folks" would understand your meaning is not justification and does not make it proper, polite, nor correct to use the terminology.

You could use certain pejoratives to refer to people of certain ethnic backgrounds and "folks" would all know what you're talking about but does not mean it would be acceptable to do so, at least in polite company.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 11:14   #81
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Covidiot Cruisers in the Solomon Islands

Quote:

The point is , it’s not up to an individual to decide themselves what part of the Covid regulations apply to them. Ie if I do this and that then I’m ok to break rule A or B

Ie even if they were are sea for three years that doesn’t give them the right to “ reinterpret “ the Solomon Islands laws.

That’s why it’s not about Covid. It’s respect for national laws.
Old 14-12-2020, 11:27   #82
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:

Strawman argument again... I never suggested as much, just read my post at least once please...

Some local laws, as you put it, ARE the laws of the country these folks are in. Our laws are irrelevant.

On another note, those who invoke the Stasi, etc, forget that most of these small island states do not have large police forces, largely because most people follow the law. So it is definitely "on" for someone to report something that has been defined as important, and when there are no policing agents around. Completely different situation.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 12:28   #83

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
......If you want to be outraged about people not following some local laws and regulations while cruising that's your right of course... Personally it's not something I care about, I just follow the rules myself.
Are you arguing that the local laws are invalid and to be ignored?
If so, on what basis do you make this argument?
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 12:50   #84

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Are you arguing that the local laws are invalid and to be ignored?
If so, on what basis do you make this argument?
Where did this come from?
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 12:59   #85

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

From the post I quoted. It’s not clear which way that member is arguing.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 13:37   #86

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
From the post I quoted. It’s not clear which way that member is arguing.
His post is very clear.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 14:13   #87

Boat: Volkscruiser

I stand by my thread title. Down under we would have said they were bloody idiots and if they persisted in breaking the law then we would have said they are w*nkers and needed sorting out.
It is just normal good manners to obey the countries laws you are visiting, period. No ifs or buts or exemptions.
Really if you are not interested in obeying the law then do the rest of the world a favour and stay home until this pandemic passes.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 14:33   #88

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If what daletournier wrote is correct, and it very well may be, I can see this having developed to being a buddy boat situation, where the one skipper has a watermaker that has never worked properly, may still not be working properly, and the other guy stayed with him to offer water if needed.

I agree they should have notified the Solomon Is. gov't in Honiara, and do not know why they went where they did, but I'd like to learn why they didn't notify or go straight to Honiara. Gizo's an entry port, too, but maybe not during Covid 19.

To me, it is that water is one of our most basic needs, and I do not know why the one boat is inadequately supplied. I know people who have lost the potability of their tank water due to salt water intrusion through a cracked O-ring seal at the deck fill. It is one way you can wind up with drastically less water than you thought you had. To me, it is the fact of not knowing, coupled with one's great need for water that makes me want to avoid judging them harshly at this point. And, I would venture to say, if what the authorities find out satisfies them, there will be no boat confiscation, nor jail time.

Ann
Old 14-12-2020, 14:39   #89

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

To me the "idiot" part comes from not making their entry at Gizo, the official entry port. It was not all that far from the one they chose, would have had water available, possibly alongside (it has been some years since we were there), officials to grant permission or deny it, and in general, an official culture that was used to dealing with incoming yachts. To ignore this does approach idiocy IMO.

I accept Dale's affirmation that they are "good guys" in general, but I think they really screwed up in this instance... reasons unknown to us. I dunno what the outcome will be for them, but I'm pretty sure that the Sollies future interactions with yotties won't be improved (from our point of view).

Jim
Old 14-12-2020, 15:28   #90

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
To me the "idiot" part comes from not making their entry at Gizo, the official entry port. It was not all that far from the one they chose,

You may like to check your geography.
They clearly came into SI from the south east and stopped at Aola on Guadalcanal about 30NM sailing short of Honiara (25 as the crow flies) and just out of likely VHF range!.

Gizo is about another 250NM sailing to the north west of there.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser