Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2020, 15:37   #91

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Covidiot Cruisers in the Solomon Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon.Sails View Post
......If you want to be outraged about people not following some local laws and regulations while cruising that's your right of course... Personally it's not something I care about, I just follow the rules myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theDangerz View Post
Seems an odd point you're trying to make either way...
In any period of time this is an idiodic dismissal of local regs, but add the current pandemic (regardless of how many days they've been at sea) and it's hard to not agree that it's more egregiously bad/careless/wreckless/arrogant and added some risk of infection to a group of people who didn't need it or ask for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
Some local laws, as you put it, ARE the laws of the country these folks are in. Our laws are irrelevant.

On another note, those who invoke the Stasi, etc, forget that most of these small island states do not have large police forces, largely because most people follow the law. So it is definitely "on" for someone to report something that has been defined as important, and when there are no policing agents around. Completely different situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
His post is very clear.
In one sentence SS writes dismissively of "local law".
In the next sentence SS indicates "I just follow the rules myself." which could mean he/she follows the laws of wherever they are, but doesn't exactly say that, and it contradicts the previous sentence. Or they could mean that they follow the rules of their country of origin and ignore local ones.

So it wasn't clear to me which is why I asked. And apparently several other folks took it to mean that SS ignored local laws too so it's not like I'm the only one going on about this.

What's your position Jason, should the subjects of this thread have checked in at the normal port of entry as required by local law instead of doing what they did?
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 15:43   #92

Yep. Covididiots!

Fore and Aft nailed it.

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 15:47   #93

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
You may like to check your geography.
They clearly came into SI from the south east and stopped at Aola on Guadalcanal about 30NM sailing short of Honiara (25 as the crow flies) and just out of likely VHF range!.

Gizo is about another 250NM sailing to the north west of there.
Oooops! My mistake, but the same argument follows: coulda gone into Honiara where the officials live and made the request for permission to take on water.

Jim
Old 14-12-2020, 15:52   #94

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España

Regardless of where they came from they were legally obligated to enter via a port of entry (Honiara, Korovou (Shortland Islands), Gizo, Ringgi, Yandina, Tulagi and Graciosa Bay., https://www.visitsolomons.com.sb/pla...w-to-get-here/).

My understanding is that if there is an emergency one can land wherever they can, but there is an expectation that officialdom will be informed soonest.

Did the subjects of this thread make an attempt to declare an emergency to officials?
Old 14-12-2020, 16:02   #95

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Did the subjects of this thread make an attempt to declare an emergency to officials?
_
Adelie, so far no emergency situation has been mentioned. Being low on (not out of) water is hardly an emergency.

Jim
Old 14-12-2020, 16:14   #96

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post

What's your position Jason, should the subjects of this thread have checked in at the normal port of entry as required by local law instead of doing what they did?
Yes, they should have checked in at the normal port of entry as required by law but there may be a reason why they could not.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 16:15   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Adelie, so far no emergency situation has been mentioned. Being low on (not out of) water is hardly an emergency.

Jim
No it's not, but they could have felt it was an emergency and were reluctant to say so to officials because they don't want to be seen crying wolf. Unfortunately for the them they seemed to have assumed indifferent officialdom instead of making the binary choice of enter via PoE or declaring an emergency.
Old 14-12-2020, 16:59   #98

Boat: Bali 4.0

Quote:

Jim
And... as has been made very clear earlier this year - standard maritime protocol doesn't exactly hold up during a pandemic.

Unless you were sleeping through the first half of 2020 and somehow missed all the other vessels struggling with similar situations earlier in the year... this is tough to describe as anything short of idiocy - or at best blindly hoping nobody will care/notice.
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 17:01   #99
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDangerz View Post
And... as has been made very clear earlier this year - standard maritime protocol doesn't exactly hold up during a pandemic.

Unless you were sleeping through the first half of 2020 and somehow missed all the other vessels struggling with similar situations earlier in the year... this is tough to describe as anything short of idiocy - or at best blindly hoping nobody will care/notice.
Correct , the few newsworthy items , seem to suggest either a willful or naive attitude to Covid rules. the sort of “ lockdown doesn’t apply to me “ thinking
Old 14-12-2020, 17:17   #100

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Regardless of where they came from they were legally obligated to enter via a port of entry (Honiara, Korovou (Shortland Islands), Gizo, Ringgi, Yandina, Tulagi and Graciosa Bay., https://www.visitsolomons.com.sb/pla...w-to-get-here/).

My understanding is that if there is an emergency one can land wherever they can, but there is an expectation that officialdom will be informed soonest.

The only ports of entry during the Covid period (as per current orders) are Honiara and Noro ports. This has been in place since March 2020 https://solomons.gov.sb/wp-content/u...Advisory-4.pdf.

The yachts were in Fiji and surely had internet connection via mobile or cafe, so cannot plead ignorance of the entry rules. Proper passage planning would have included all countries and ports on their intended route and the requirements for each.

Even without that, in a period of heightened border sensitivity, not going to the capital city and main port of entry is evidence of knowingly trying to avoid the rules. Shame on them (yes, covidiots) and for creating a dirty wake that will likely affect other cruisers in the future.

Emergency does not include landing, except in the case of shipwreck. A government authority must be contacted as soon as possible. Not doing so is evasion.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 18:44   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot Safety View Post
Mods. Can you please lock this thread and boot or ban some folks. While I would love to hear the outcome of why the cruisers were in the solomons without approval, that is unlikely to occur. This thread has dissolved into US politics (as nearly all threads seem to of late) and near mud slinging and name calling
You click a topic called “Covidiot Cruisers” and expect non political, civil discussions? Huh
SalingSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 19:18   #102

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
To me the "idiot" part comes from not making their entry at Gizo, the official entry port. It was not all that far from the one they chose, would have had water available, possibly alongside (it has been some years since we were there), officials to grant permission or deny it, and in general, an official culture that was used to dealing with incoming yachts. To ignore this does approach idiocy IMO.

I accept Dale's affirmation that they are "good guys" in general, but I think they really screwed up in this instance... reasons unknown to us. I dunno what the outcome will be for them, but I'm pretty sure that the Sollies future interactions with yotties won't be improved (from our point of view).

Jim
Hi Jim, I think you summed it up well "they screwed up for reasons unknow to us"., I know Mike and Marie but I do not know the full story. Yes they have screwed up.

I'm not quizzing them on the details, as I'm assuming they have alot on their minds.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 19:33   #103

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalingSue View Post
You click a topic called “Covidiot Cruisers” and expect non political, civil discussions? Huh
Yes, Cruisers Forum does expect civil, polite discussion. It is in the Community Rules Section, and also in the Covid19Containment Forum.

Ann
JPA Cate
Old 14-12-2020, 19:59   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Yes, Cruisers Forum does expect civil, polite discussion. It is in the Community Rules Section, and also in the Covid19Containment Forum.

Ann
JPA Cate
So shouldn’t this whole topic have been nuked based on the title?
SalingSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 19:59   #105

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post

Ann
JPA Cate

Ann, I am guessing that in order to achieve civil polite discussion first one has to understand just what is civil and polite. Apparently not all do.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser