Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 08:58   #181

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Pirated Danes

Don't forget the Golden Rule. He with the gold makes the rules. It will take big money insurance and shipping interests to press the governments to take action. There are so few US flagged ships and the US is spread so thin that it is doubtful that we will get too involved. As far as cruisers going thru that area it really is a gamble. I wouldn't do it myself but MarkJ did and has lived to tell about it. Percentage wise it must be a small number of ships that actually get pirated.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply
Old 05-03-2011, 09:12   #182

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I wonder how many Somalian university students are here enjoying their educational opportunites paid for by ransom money from home? It is going to take more than diplomatic bleating to world political bodies to resolve this problem. A full international court press of military, diplomatic, immigration and financial pressure will be needed to change these behaviors. Not something I expect to see i my lifetime... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply
Old 05-03-2011, 09:13   #183
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, horror scope.

FWIW, some us do hear about “thwartings”, and know a little about what our Naval vessels are doing out there.

For your edification:

NATO Shipping Centre ➥ NATO Shipping Centre (numnwsvwb2): NATO Shipping Centre (NSC)

Common Advice from the Naval Forces to the Yachting Community:

The danger of piracy in the Gulf of Aden and Somali Basin is high and continues to increase. Naval forces strongly recommend that yachts do not transit this area. Merchant ships use Best Management Practices (BMP) to win time for the naval forces to assist them. With a low freeboard and slow speed, yachts are particularly vulnerable to pirate attack. Any direct response from naval assets will depend on the proximity to the incident and may not occur. BMP3 and the self protection measures described in them were not designed for cruising yachts nor will they be sufficient to prevent boardings by Somali pirates.

Flyer to Yachts ➥ http://www.shipping.nato.int/Yachtin...Jan%202011.pdf

About
Counter Piracy Operation Ocean Shield
NATO Shipping Centre (numnwsvwb2): Counter Piracy Operation Ocean Shield

This operation, which spells an extension by NATO of counter piracy operations, will entail the following military tasks:

(1) Deter, disrupt and protect against pirate attacks, rendering assistance to ships in extremis as required.

(2) Actively seek suspected pirates and prevent their continued activity through detention, seizure of vessels and property, and the delivery of suspects and evidence to designated law enforcement authorities, in accordance with NATO agreements.

(3) Facilitate and support the development of regional states’ capacity to conduct effective counter-piracy operations, in coordination with other related international efforts.

(4) Coordinate NATO operations and initiatives with coalition maritime forces, EU naval forces, and other non-NATO forces conducting counter piracy operations off the Horn of Africa.

Of course, all counter piracy efforts are closely coordinated with the EU Maritime Security Centre Horn of Africa (MSC HOA). MSC HOA also has the lead role in the coordination of the group transits through the Gulf of Aden.

GordMay is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
yacht