Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2011, 14:50   #106

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Re: Danish Yacht taken by Pirates

I wonder if sinking the yacht would allow navy seals to rescue the hostages in the water... I am thinking the rats will be the first to leave the ship... then perhaps the seals could disarm them and rescue the crew... have portable tanks at the ready... once everyone is in the water the advantage the pirates have would be eliminated... I would also announce that if the hostages will be picked up first and only after they are saved will any attempt be made to save the others...

would hate to lose the boat though...

just a thought
capcook is offline   Reply
Old 28-02-2011, 14:51   #107
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
But Evans, the key point ,is even so, lets say the NSA have it all and the navies have it too. Whats the good, what can they do, They are no doubt, according to media reports, shadowing the yacht. Intervention results in death of hostages, 100% of the time
Hey, I am sure not saying that our 'intelligence' capability has proven to either be very accurate or very useful. And I am sure what 'spare resources' (intelligence and military) we have are quite busy with Libya right now. But it can't hurt to be hearing what 'home base' is telling the pirates onboard (if they are telling them anything).

Regarding the possibility of spec ops intervention - yes I agree its very difficult. Its a tough situation once there are hostages involved with people who have very little (or nothing ) to loose. But I guess I am a little more optimistic than you. The Maersk Alabama went down well. And quite honestly it sounds like the Quest was very nearly a success - 15 out of 19 of the pirates were willing to go to the foredeck with their hands in the air and surrender, apparently just two caused the disaster (but 2 proved enough to screw the pooch).

I am sure there have been several quite competent teams buring the mid-night oil studying the possibilities and trying to find the best solutions. It will be interesting to see what they do. For the hostages there is unfortunately a bit of a conflict between what may be best for the 'geopolitical big picture' (eg not let the pirates get home) vs what may be safest for the hostages (eg let them get taken to Somalia).
estarzinger is offline   Reply
Old 28-02-2011, 14:57   #108
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
The Maersk Alabama went down well.
yes it did, since it didnt invoke any military involvement, but actions by a trained crew who practised anti-pirate training,had a strong room on board and were a brave and resourceful lot. ( also small numbers of pirates) No comparisons with a yacht

of course I should mention the capitan was rescued by SEAL snipers. A sceanario, very similar to what I beleive was attempted with QUEST, However in the Maersk case, the all the pirates were visible, there was only 3 and they were all taken out togther. Not so easy to do this on a yacht.

Not arguing with you just saying it aint easy and hostages have been dying as a result.

dave
Old 28-02-2011, 15:04   #109
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Sven, can you read this? Just checking if it was me

The ignore button is great as long as you don't get temped to read what the moron who your trying to ignore is writting. That's just my opinion, if you can read this.

In any case, this is going to be one huge news case to follow over the next few days. I don't pray much but will say one for the captives - all of them.
Old 28-02-2011, 15:14   #110

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Sven, can you read this? Just checking if it was me .
I hope I don't get a flood of "can you read this" messages after answering this one ... while I believe sharing as much information as possible is the only way we solve problems as a community, I won't be answering any more questions like yours

-Sven
Old 28-02-2011, 15:22   #111

Can you hear me now????
Pal, I'm with you and don't pray much but will be for ALL the captives. I hope all ends well for ALL of them and soon.
ude123 is offline   Reply
Old 28-02-2011, 15:35   #112
cruiser

Boat: Chris Craft Corinathian 331 & Chris Craft Constellation 501

These pirates are multi-millionaires... they have the latest detection equipment available anywhere. The best equipment OUR money can buy. These priates aren't third world dummies anymore they're intelligent; cunning criminals and are getting away with murder! I can't believe the governments of the world are afraid of THEM but afraid of being the blame to cause of hostages deaths because of their actions against the pirates..
biminijimini is offline   Reply
Old 28-02-2011, 15:38   #113
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
I can't believe the governments of the world are afraid of THEM but afraid of being the blame to cause of hostages deaths because of their actions against the pirates..
Theres the kernal of the matter.

Dave
Old 28-02-2011, 16:22   #114

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Everyone is hoping and praying for a good outcome for the hostages, but facts are they have become pawns in what might very well become a military flash point.

They have at that point, become prisoners of war.

If this isn't dealt with soon and with "Broad Strokes", piracy will only increase. There is no way it's going to get better by itself.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply
Old 28-02-2011, 16:58   #115

Boat: a sailing boat

I would NOT take my kids into such an area. Even if I were Danish. Maybe especially so if I were Danish. The parents may now face the court in their home country for exposing their children to unnecessary risks. For the parents did know the situation there.

Or else, where was the boat when pirated? Out of the piracy zone as known from easily available sources?

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply
Old 28-02-2011, 17:06   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel
I would NOT take my kids into such an area. Even if I were Danish. Maybe especially so if I were Danish. The parents may now face the court in their home country for exposing their children to unnecessary risks. For the parents did know the situation there.

Or else, where was the boat when pirated? Out of the piracy zone as known from easily available sources?

barnie
The government will not prosecute the parents regardless of the outcome. Be realistic.
Event_Horizon is offline   Reply
Old 28-02-2011, 17:35   #117

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

I do not see what is wrong with discussing whether armed or not armed as i am sure the pirates are armed as are all the Navy vessels in the area.

How indeed can pirates and control of Pirates be discussed without guns being mentioned.

Clearly if was any previous doubt about travelling in the area the area now has to be avoided. lets hope and pray for a good outcome.

respectfully, cheers
downunder is offline   Reply
Old 28-02-2011, 17:37   #118

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson_dk View Post
OK; There is no need to hold back information at this point, as all information is out in the media here in Denmark, and I am sure english news services will post soon too.
Because I do not want "hear-say" let me post this info, and after that please focus on what we can learn and how we can keep this risk a minimum for our friends sailing the area, this is priority one!
The sailboat is 43 foot sloop, name is "ING", onboard is a family with mom/dad and 3 children 13-17 years old, and also 2 crew members, total number 7 people taken by pirates.
The danish Navy has a fast battle ship following the ING right now, this is confirmed by danish news.
They were taken at the position shown on below link (look in the bottom of the page that opens).
ING jordenrundt.info
Let us all use this situation for learning, for reducing risks in the future for the people we love and care for, and let us all pray for the people right now in the crisis of their life...!
Niels
Thanks for the concise and level headed summation.
There is a lot of paranoia flying around here, so it's refreshing to get a clear, commonsense update.
Our thoughts and prayers etc etc
Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply
Old 28-02-2011, 17:54   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
I do not see what is wrong with discussing whether armed or not armed as i am sure the pirates are armed as are all the Navy vessels in the area.

How indeed can pirates and control of Pirates be discussed without guns being mentioned.

Clearly if was any previous doubt about travelling in the area the area now has to be avoided. lets hope and pray for a good outcome.

respectfully, cheers
downunder, that's too hot for this thread(guns) but IMHO these are professional pirates and are armed with RPGs and not just your average AK47. It only takes one shot with a RPG to ruin your whole day. I don't think you could persuade these pirates not to RPG you even if you were firing an AK at them.
ude123 is offline   Reply
Old 28-02-2011, 18:18   #120
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39

Is it not fair to say that Goverments around the globe are far to busy right now with the middle East and especialy Libya? I would imagine that under normal circumstances we would have seen and heard a lot more by now!! We do need a solution though! The way things are it makes no sense for cruisers to go anywhere near the area!
pablothesailor is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
yacht