Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2021, 16:23   #271

Boat: Lagoon 380
Re: Dismasted by an aircraft carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
ADS-B and AIS work in completely different ways, and how could it be otherwise, as collision avoidance is a totally different process in the air vs at sea. I'm not a licensed pilot, but I spent hundreds of hours in the right seat of a Pilatus PC-12, and then a Raytheon Premier One jet, and am pretty familiar with how it works, based on first hand experience.

But in any case, the poster insists that he has AIS in his plane, not ADS-B. Maybe it's a private SAR plane? Or maybe he's just trolling us?

In tech speak: TCAS and AIS are usually peer to peer data com techniques. ADS is infrastructure based.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 15:13   #272

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by team karst View Post
In tech speak: TCAS and AIS are usually peer to peer data com techniques. ADS is infrastructure based.
However, with the increasing reports of submarines running into things we may have to upgrade the AIS system to three dimensional??
Old 26-11-2021, 15:25   #273

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
However, with the increasing reports of submarines running into things we may have to upgrade the AIS system to three dimensional??
I guess old diesel boats might? If any of today's boats are running into things it is human error.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 15:55   #274

Dismasted by an aircraft carrier

AIS is now carried by some wreck divers. They r at risk from drifting away from the boat, when they spend periods of time, decompressing at 10’ deep . So, upon surfacing, the AIS Is now broadcast.
I suspect many reading this may be surprised at the prospect of personnel collision avoidance! Nope, radar wont pick up a head.
Old 26-11-2021, 16:07   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by team karst View Post
AIS is now carried by some wreck divers. They r at risk from drifting away from the boat, when they spend periods of time, decompressing at 10’ deep . So, upon surfacing, the AIS Is now broadcast.
I suspect many reading this may be surprised at the prospect of personnel collision avoidance! Nope, radar wont pick up a head.
I would hazard a guess they are more interested in being located, after drifting away, by the dive boat than being run over, if in fact they have AIS?
Old 26-11-2021, 16:23   #276

Mmmm. Sailor is in the wrong here. No one is meaning to hit another person but when your the size of a city, it might be easy to miss a 30 foot sailboat.

Title should be, Dismasted against and aircraft carrier
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 17:07   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Assume the "other caveats" are NUC, RAM, constrained by draught, S&S rules as applicable? There are a number of TSS on the high seas (depending on how you define 'high seas') - the Ushant scheme comes to mind, and I'm certain there are others.
Regarding range, here’s a quote from Raymarine (as one example) about their on Quantum radar…

24-mile range for early detection of traffic, navigation aids, landfall and weather

Do you believe that number is average, or is it under the most ideal conditions? Secondly, radar is line of sight. At sea level, the horizon is about 5 miles away. Ok, no one mounts their radar at sea level, but that is why I gave 20 miles range.

The other caveats, such as NUC, CBD, etc do not mean you have to give way to commercial traffic. Those limitation apply whether the CBD, et. al. Is commercial or not.
CyKlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 17:20   #278

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I would hazard a guess they are more interested in being located, after drifting away, by the dive boat than being run over, if in fact they have AIS?
Quite a few Personal AIS devices (inaccurately called AIS Personal Locator Beacons) in the marketplace.

Here's a selection:
https://www.nauticexpo.com/boat-manu...plb-42385.html
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 17:23   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
The difference is it is mandated for planes but not boats. Is it only IFR or is it also for VFR that must transmit?
Depends on the airspace that you are in whether you have to have a transponder. VFR, IFR has nothing to do with it (though Class A airspace ALSO requires IFR)
CyKlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2021, 05:10   #280

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyKlop View Post
Regarding range, here’s a quote from Raymarine (as one example) about their on Quantum radar…

24-mile range for early detection of traffic, navigation aids, landfall and weather

Do you believe that number is average, or is it under the most ideal conditions? Secondly, radar is line of sight. At sea level, the horizon is about 5 miles away. Ok, no one mounts their radar at sea level, but that is why I gave 20 miles range.
Raymarine is basing that on the maximum selectable scale - given that it is likely a circular scale on a square or rectangular screen, you'll actually have a greater range shown at the corners.
Regarding "radar horizon", radar tends to curve a little around the Earth, so the radar horizon is a little further out than visible horizon. And then you can expect that target height has it's own "radar horizon" so that actual detectable range of a target is the sum of your radar's horizon + the target's radar horizon. There is a coastal radar navigation technique that uses mountain peaks to obtain a fix, well beyond the normal radar horizon. Of course that would require your radar set to allow selecting a range scale out to greater ranges.

Quote:
The other caveats, such as NUC, CBD, etc do not mean you have to give way to commercial traffic. Those limitation apply whether the CBD, et. al. Is commercial or not.
Yes, but it's a good idea to make that distinction when you make authoritative statements such as "sailing vessels don't have to give way to commercial vessels outside of TSS". This forum is also a resource for newbies to boating.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2021, 10:35   #281

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

So tell me again the importance of what is used on aircraft when we are discussing boats?
Sorry lost the thrust of the conversation somewhere
Old 27-11-2021, 11:26   #282

AKA. U must have missed the internet rules. Past the 2nd page of responses, its all entertainment. [emoji847]
Old 27-11-2021, 11:32   #283

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Quite a few Personal AIS devices (inaccurately called AIS Personal Locator Beacons) in the marketplace.

Here's a selection:
https://www.nauticexpo.com/boat-manu...plb-42385.html
I think, I didn't express it right. The point was the dive boat's location of them was probably more of a concern than being run over by someone else.
The, if they have them, was possession not availability.
Old 27-11-2021, 11:48   #284

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
So tell me again the importance of what is used on aircraft when we are discussing boats?
Sorry lost the thrust of the conversation somewhere
It gives people a chance to air their knowledge of all things aeronautical. I don't even know why the 'rules' have entered into the conversation. The skipper of the yacht wasn't keeping a decent lookout nor were the bridge team on the carrier. Too bad - so sad - nothing more to see here.

Be thankful the name of Cockcroft hasn't been uttered - then you are in some form of Godwinian situation.
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2021, 13:37   #285

Dismasted by an aircraft carrier

Quote:

Do you believe that number is average, or is it under the most ideal conditions? Secondly, radar is line of sight. At sea level, the horizon is about 5 miles away. ...

Nope. At SL, the horizon is zero miles away.
And, i’ve spent a fair amount of time there. [emoji30]

Tags
mast