Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2016, 17:24   #2476

Boat: Landlocked right now.
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

PS: Did you know that there is a statistical correlation between amount of sold ice-cream and drownings?

I'm not kidding.

On days where they sell lots of ice-cream more people drown. Now, the solution is to make a law to stop selling icecream. This will stop people from drowning.
Old 27-07-2016, 17:29   #2477

Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Back to the subject on hand. Lets put a little science in the mix. Recent reasonable accurate gravimetric measurments done by NASA (Adhikari et al. (2016, Geoscientific Model Development)) show the following sea-level rise.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/VY_SeZiBcM4?rel=0

I hand the mike over to you to come to your own conclusions...
Old 27-07-2016, 18:12   #2478
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
So how's our 'record year' doin'??

(Rich -- how was that one -- grade???)
You got a a- for that eh heck I should get at least a B for the assist
Old 27-07-2016, 18:19   #2479
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
However, the 1,000,000$-question is: Are our politicians qualified and skilled enough to make the right decisions?

Double...no Tripple Bingo!

Let me work the question a little and you get to the heart of the Issue from the MMGWC point of view and why they act so much like totalitarians.

"Are the Voters qualified and skilled enough to elect the politicians that will make the right decision."

This my friends hits at the heart of the issue of Liberals, progresives, Totalitarians, Progressives, Social Democrats and what ever else they want to call themselves. See they honestly do not believe in Democracy, because...well...those idiot voters should just love them, accept them, and go along with what the smarter folks think. It angers them that the Majority of the American people do not rank Climate Change is a high priority and don't want to pay higher Carbon taxes, and basically are flipping the middle finger at their MMGWC scare tactics.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 27-07-2016, 19:03   #2480

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
"Are the Voters qualified and skilled enough to elect the politicians that will make the right decision."...
Rich that does not really matter when your choices are limited to Clinton vs Trump.

I'm glad to live on the other side of the globe. On second thoughts....
adoxograph is offline   Reply
Old 27-07-2016, 19:05   #2481

Quote:
That's good advice, but I'm afraid I've screwed up trying to meet Rich's high trolling stds. with this lengthy reply.
S'ok. It wasn't very good; let's just ignore it.

Quote:
I would never pretend to be scientific any more than I would pretend to be an astronaut, but I'll discuss your insights about my need for validation with my psychiatrist.
Going full troll... it's a good look for you, and far more honest than your pseudo-scientific "skeptic" act. Thanks for getting into the spirit of things.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply
Old 27-07-2016, 19:21   #2482

Quote:
Back to the subject on hand. Lets put a little science in the mix. Recent reasonable accurate gravimetric measurments done by NASA (Adhikari et al. (2016, Geoscientific Model Development)) show the following sea-level rise.

The animated graphic at the link does show sea level rise, and it shows sea level falls, and it should more accurately be characterized as showing sea level change, and that is how it is labeled by NASA.

Tough to integrate the global effects visually, especially when the legend is too fuzzy to read (perhaps my computer is a skeptic), but it's interesting how the sea level responds on an annual cycle.
It's hard to get excited about decadal changes of millimeters of sea level when diurnal tidal variations and variable wind effects can be several orders of magnitude larger.

Meh.
fryewe is offline   Reply
Old 27-07-2016, 19:26   #2483

Quote:
PS: Did you know that there is a statistical correlation between amount of sold ice-cream and drownings?

I'm not kidding.
Of course there is.

And there's a statistical correlation between sold ice cream and sunburn.

And sold ice cream and sold sun glasses.

And sold ice cream and parasailing accidents.

And sold ice cream and many other summer-related events.
fryewe is offline   Reply
Old 27-07-2016, 19:38   #2484
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Rich that does not really matter when your choices are limited to Clinton vs Trump.

I'm glad to live on the other side of the globe. On second thoughts....
A choice between Clinton and Trump is like a real life Kobayashi Maru test.

For you Non-Trekies
Urban Dictionary: Kobayashi Maru
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 27-07-2016, 20:02   #2485

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
I know the study the article refers too. Again this is an example of an overexcited journalist representing a study in a complete wrong context. The study only concludes that conflict arises more often in areas of extreme scarcity with a high ethnic diversity combined with dramatic climate events like draught or flooding.
"dramatic climate events" is an oxymoron.

Drought(sp) and flooding are weather events.
StuM is offline   Reply
Old 27-07-2016, 20:35   #2486

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
It's hard to get excited about decadal changes of millimeters of sea level when diurnal tidal variations and variable wind effects can be several orders of magnitude larger.

Meh.
See that's the difference. Your Meh is based very exciting science. The result is very interesting and what we can do with this data even more thrilling.

However it is what it is and I can't change it to "Oh my God. New York will be under Water."

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
"dramatic climate events" is an oxymoron.

Drought(sp) and flooding are weather events.
Nope. Drought is a long term climate related phenomenon. You don't have a drought because of one hot summer.

Flooding on the other hand can be caused by a blocked toilet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
Of course there is.

And there's a statistical correlation between sold ice cream and sunburn.

And sold ice cream and sold sun glasses.

And sold ice cream and parasailing accidents.

And sold ice cream and many other summer-related events.
Even more reasons to pass the law against selling ice-cream!
Old 27-07-2016, 22:12   #2487

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Thanks for filling in duringSailOar's absence. This stuff is going from the absurd to the hilarious!
Quote:

Ponder this...

Study Shows Rising Seas Slowed by Increasing Water on Land | NASA

Quote:
A new study by scientists at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena, California, and the University of California, Irvine, shows that while ice sheets and glaciers continue to melt, changes in weather and climate over the past decade have caused Earth’s continents to soak up and store an extra 3.2 trillion tons of water in soils, lakes and underground aquifers, temporarily slowing the rate of sea level rise by about 20 percent.

The water gains over land were spread globally, but taken together they equal the volume of Lake Huron, the world’s seventh largest lake. The study is published in the Feb. 12 issue of the journal Science.

Each year, a large amount of water evaporates from the oceans, falls over land as rain or snow, and returns to the oceans through runoff and river flows. This is known as the global hydrologic, or water, cycle. Scientists have long known small changes in the hydrologic cycle -- by persistent regional changes in soil moisture or lake levels, for instance -- could change the rate of sea level rise from what we would expect based on ice sheet and glacier melt rates. However, they did not know how large the land storage effect would be because there were no instruments that could accurately measure global changes in liquid water on land.

"We always assumed that people’s increased reliance on groundwater for irrigation and consumption was resulting in a net transfer of water from the land to the ocean,” said lead author J.T. Reager of JPL, who began work on the study as a graduate student at UC Irvine. "What we didn’t realize until now is that over the past decade, changes in the global water cycle more than offset the losses that occurred from groundwater pumping, causing the land to act like a sponge -- at least temporarily. These new data are vital for understanding decadal variations in sea level change. The information will be a critical complement to future long-term projections of sea level rise, which depend on melting ice and warming oceans.”
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 27-07-2016, 22:52   #2488

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
You mean we're NOT irreparably draining our acquifers, AND the planet has yet another mechanism for compensating, this time for rising sea levels?? If all of this good news continues, we might soon have to go back to talking about actual sailing issues. Or better yet, just go sailing.
Exile is offline   Reply
Old 27-07-2016, 22:55   #2489

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
A choice between Clinton and Trump is like a real life Kobayashi Maru test.

For you Non-Trekies
Urban Dictionary: Kobayashi Maru
Too bad we can't just reprogram the test -- like Cap'n Kirk.
Exile is offline   Reply
Old 28-07-2016, 00:15   #2490

Quote:
... Or better yet, just go sailing.
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising