Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2016, 19:48   #991

Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Out of curiosity, what does any of this have to do with the NWP or the NSR?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 24-05-2016, 20:27   #992
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post

The only possible connection I can see would be storms tracking north pulling warmer water and air with them upsetting the freezing cycle
Old 24-05-2016, 20:30   #993

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post

I'd have to cross two cyclone/hurricane belts to get there
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 24-05-2016, 21:17   #994

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
Are we cooling this week? I must have missed that memo.

The problem with climate change are many:

1) we all experience weather not climate
2) the scientific community have become hooked on the climate change drug. Get funded to do science and never get proven wrong. Or right for that matter
3) our economies are addicted to exponential growth and consumption. The first has an assymtopic equilibrium. The second will peak. I suspect we're at that point now
4) politicians will not save us. Neither will wall street and the corporate obsession with quarterly results. A quarter is not a geologic unit of time
5) we cant even fix the simple fixable problems. Overfishing, nutrient polution from over use of fertilizers, dumping of long life plastics, promotion of green strategies, etc
6) rational debate and calling bulls#!t on much of the unreplicable so called science is seen as zealotry
7) proving, or disproving a hypothesis, aka the scientific method, is only acceptable to support FUD. Our great scientific forebears, einstein, curie, bohr, rutherford, crick, etc would be most displeased
8.) innovation and proven tech solutions are discouraged. Solar, wind and clean fuel over coal, nuclear
9) our cities are gridlocked and inefficient.
10) were dealing with a wicked problem, sterman's characteristics of complex systems apply. We wont fix problems with the same stupid thinking that created them.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Other than that, we're in pretty good shape...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply
Old 24-05-2016, 21:21   #995

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Because you have not heard of it means what to us?
To me it means you need to pay a little more attention to the MMGW Cultists, it's actually fun to watch them predict the end of the world and increased hurricane activity and then when it doesn't happen, they...well...say nada.

Sorry Amigo...
MMGW Cultists have been predicting and saying this for years, because you don't know it...well....again, get more educated on their doom and gloom predictions so you too can have the fun of watching their predictions fall on the face.
Rich, when someone say's 'I've nevery heard of such a claim', it's a way of saying, 'I don't believe this is a true claim, and I'm challenging you that you made it up. Can you please provide a credible link that what you posted is true'.

Whilst I don't comment in these silly Climate challenge threads very often, I'm reasonably well read (like most of you with no qualifications on the subject). I hear quite often of people such as yourself making these claims, but I've never ever read of such a claim in any scientific journal or report.

But I suspect you know what I was getting at hey and you just wanted to say something when you will struggle to find the proof of it.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply
Old 24-05-2016, 21:39   #996
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Oh I've been around the game long enough to know what was being asked for, but I also know that people learn best when they Google things themselves and look it up. Doing things for people, doesn't help them in the long run.

So for the Deniers, pop over over Google or your favorite non-tracking you search engine, and look up the the claimed links between Global Warming and increased hurricane activity that the MMGW Cultists have been preaching about.

In all honestly, it's quite stunning to me that I would know more about the sacraments and scripture of the MMGW movement than the Cultists themselves. It actually confirms for me the unscientific nature of their Belief, if they don't know what the clergy leaders of their movement are saying and predicting, how would they know just how crazy it is....
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 24-05-2016, 21:46   #997

Quote:
Oh I've been around the game long enough to know what was being asked for, but I also know that people learn best when they Google things themselves and look it up. Doing things for people, doesn't help them in the long run.

So for the Deniers, pop over over Google or your favorite non-tracking you search engine, and look up the the claimed links between Global Warming and increased hurricane activity that the MMGW Cultists have been preaching about.

In all honestly, it's quite stunning to me that I would know more about the sacraments and scripture of the MMGW movement than the Cultists themselves. It actually confirms for me the unscientific nature of their Belief, if they don't know what the clergy leaders of their movement are saying and predicting, how would they know just how crazy it is....
So, in other words Rich, you made it up?

Do you not realise how silly this makes you seem?

I'll finish on this point.
Old 24-05-2016, 21:49   #998
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
So, in other words Rich, you made it up?

Do you not realise how silly this makes you seem?
No it just means you are too intellectually lazy to take the time and learn something for yourself. But hey...that's the way our world works these days. People don't want to see or have to deal with things that go against their world view.

I've already found dozens of references...but like I said...learning requires activity on your part...what are you afraid of?

Here's a little Tease...

NBC Blames Global Warming for Stronger Hurricanes, Says It’s ‘A Trend That’s Likely To Continue’ In the weeks following Katrina, NBC turned to global warming as the hurricane’s cause. On September 18, 2005, Nightly News anchor John Seigenthaler said, “scientists studying the earth’s climate say we are experiencing stronger hurricanes in this century, a trend that’s likely to continue.” NBC’s chief science correspondent Robert Bazell continued, asking: “Was Katrina a warning of more terrible hurricanes in the next few years?” Bazell admitted “one storm cannot prove anything about climate change,” but claimed the projected ocean temperature rise would cause more severe storms through the end of the century. That NBC report included climatologist Stephen Schneider who said, “humans won’t make the storms, but we can make them a little stronger than they otherwise would have been.”

Oh and.....
"In the academic community, the unexpected disaster prompted climate scientists to consider the link between climate change and storms. Since then, research has shown that climate change will increase the devastation caused by hurricanes as sea levels rise due to global warming. Some research has also suggested that climate change has increased the intensity and frequency of storms."

Google is your friend, drive our the darkness with the light of Truth...
Old 24-05-2016, 22:10   #999

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Global warming causes more intense hurricanes
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 24-05-2016, 22:12   #1000

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

A thousand posts and here we are...bickering like the CC thread
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply
Old 24-05-2016, 22:13   #1001
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Heck...we can get out of control in a single page when the humidity is right....
Old 24-05-2016, 22:29   #1002

Quote:
No it just means you are too intellectually lazy to take the time and learn something for yourself. But hey...that's the way our world works these days. People don't want to see or have to deal with things that go against their world view.

I've already found dozens of references...but like I said...learning requires activity on your part...what are you afraid of?

Here's a little Tease...

NBC Blames Global Warming for Stronger Hurricanes, Says It’s ‘A Trend That’s Likely To Continue’ In the weeks following Katrina, NBC turned to global warming as the hurricane’s cause. On September 18, 2005, Nightly News anchor John Seigenthaler said, “scientists studying the earth’s climate say we are experiencing stronger hurricanes in this century, a trend that’s likely to continue.” NBC’s chief science correspondent Robert Bazell continued, asking: “Was Katrina a warning of more terrible hurricanes in the next few years?” Bazell admitted “one storm cannot prove anything about climate change,” but claimed the projected ocean temperature rise would cause more severe storms through the end of the century. That NBC report included climatologist Stephen Schneider who said, “humans won’t make the storms, but we can make them a little stronger than they otherwise would have been.”

Oh and.....
"In the academic community, the unexpected disaster prompted climate scientists to consider the link between climate change and storms. Since then, research has shown that climate change will increase the devastation caused by hurricanes as sea levels rise due to global warming. Some research has also suggested that climate change has increased the intensity and frequency of storms."

Google is your friend, drive our the darkness with the light of Truth...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY
No problem explaining....

The MMGW cultists have been telling us that we are all going to die from increased hurricane activity...but they and their models were wrong once again. Not only has there been a record time without a US Landfall...but there is a big stretch of record low hurricane activity. Exactly opposite of what the models and Cultists have been telling us.

Happy to help...

(RC) What I replied to you with,

I've never ever heard any climate change people suggesting this. EVER!

Yes, there are suggestions I've heard that hurricane activity is forecast to increase. I've never seen anything that suggests this is wrong and certainly not the link you are using And the stretch of low hurricane activity 'hitting the coast' is not evidence of any decrease in hurricane activity.

The following link suggests the 'strenghs and duration' of hurricanes over the past three decades has increased by 50%. Id suggest a double in 'strenghs and duration' is pretty damn significant and nothing like what your suggesting.

WHERE Rich, in anything you just posted, does it anywhere make your claim, and I quote

"The MMGW cultists have been telling us that we are all going to die from increased hurricane activity" ?
Old 24-05-2016, 22:46   #1003
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

keep Googling my friend....you are getting warmer....
Old 24-05-2016, 22:50   #1004

Quote:
keep Googling my friend....you are getting warmer....
Awe we're friends again

Old 24-05-2016, 22:53   #1005
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Personally I don't think there has been any increase of actual hurricane or major storm activity .
However what has happened is an increase in reporting and tracking of storms due to improved technology and more ships actually reporting the storms accurately

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising