Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2015, 20:28   #211

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: DUI While at Anchor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
The legal limit you posted earlier is .05.

Are you advocating that all skippers anchored with a blood alcohol level of .05 or greater be arrested for what might happen if their anchor dragged?
It is 0.05 in Australia yes. I know some places in the US it's 0.09 like it used to be here many years ago.

YES, i'm an advocate for prosecuting skippers who exceed the legal limit based on what 'might' happen YES. And I'm certainly an advocate for prosecuting skippers when something does happen.

YES, in case their anchor drags, or wind increases, or some other drunk idiot is heading towards their anchored sport or a mulittude of other reasons to remain sober when at anchor.

I know why this might be difficult from some from the US as I think it's still the case in the US at least in some places that police need 'probable cause' before breath testing someone or pulling someone over or something like that. Information gained from TV only

But in the UK and Australia, we have a thing called 'random' breath testing (RBT), which occurs both on the road and on the water and can occur for aircraft too. It means that just by the action of operating one of these, and in the case of a boat, being in charge, is enough to see you 'breath tested'. If your under whatever your prescribed limit is, not a problem and they will leave you alone. But if your over, then thank god for RBT's in this country, they saved another death. Most Australian's support RBT's and our alcohol limits as they are.
Old 02-09-2015, 20:33   #212

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
This circular discussion does not seem to recognize that police generally only investigate a boat, if they already suspect something.

Having that BUI law in their arsenal, allows them to take proactive action, if their concerns are validated by the attitude of the boater.

Bottom line, stay lo key and properly anchored, respectful of any LEO inquiry..... and 99.9% of the time....you will never have a problem.
I understand they do RBTs in Sydney Harbour quite a bit. Rarely if ever done down my way.

but your right, stay under the radar and be sensible.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:44   #213

do not worry about getting caught over the limit when your anchor drags....when does that happen?

Only in a blow...there will be no law out there then!

In th middle of the night... No law out there then and you have slept off most of it!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 03-09-2015, 06:00   #214

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
This circular discussion does not seem to recognize that police generally only investigate a boat, if they already suspect something.

Having that BUI law in their arsenal, allows them to take proactive action, if their concerns are validated by the attitude of the boater.

Bottom line, stay lo key and properly anchored, respectful of any LEO inquiry..... and 99.9% of the time....you will never have a problem.
I agree, but then would that make me a "Sheeple"???
Old 03-09-2015, 11:14   #215

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbenner View Post
I agree, but then would that make me a "Sheeple"???

Tim,
Only if your hair has begun to curl, you have developed a well practiced baaaaaaaaaaah and walk calmly to the slaughter . . . and if you're anchored for the evening and no disco ball is hanging from your boom, you could be lucky and the gendarmes might leave you alone but, then again, there's that .1%. My sentiments are aligned with Senormechanico in that, today, there is too much government intervention in peoples lives. Most people accept this because it gives them the illusion of safety. In reality, in my opinion, it only serves to further erode their rights provided in our Constitution and Bill of Rights as it tightens the noose on our freedoms. . and, then, the fact still remains . . . the wolf is always lurking in the shadows. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:32   #216

Varies by province in Canada.
Ontario it's pretty clear - Head, permanent cooking facilities and sleeping arrangements, you can drink at anchor or dock with no problems.
No open booze underway, if you have been drinking and blow over you face some serious fines or jail time and your drivers license is gone for a year along with boater card. Thats first offence.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:48   #217

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Tim,
Only if your hair has begun to curl, you have developed a well practiced baaaaaaaaaaah and walk calmly to the slaughter . . . and if you're anchored for the evening and no disco ball is hanging from your boom, you could be lucky and the gendarmes might leave you alone but, then again, there's that .1%. My sentiments are aligned with Senormechanico in that, today, there is too much government intervention in peoples lives. Most people accept this because it gives them the illusion of safety. In reality, in my opinion, it only serves to further erode their rights provided in our Constitution and Bill of Rights as it tightens the noose on our freedoms. . and, then, the fact still remains . . . the wolf is always lurking in the shadows. Good luck and safe sailing.
You're on the great lakes. I hope not Chicago. Yes there is a small amount of cops that over do it, I have not found them. What are you advocating?

It's your government do you vote. I'm not or have never been a cop, but bashing a guy just making a living and going home the his/her family sucks.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:25   #218

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
You're on the great lakes. I hope not Chicago. Yes there is a small amount of cops that over do it, I have not found them. What are you advocating?

It's your government do you vote. I'm not or have never been a cop, but bashing a guy just making a living and going home the his/her family sucks.
Cadence,
I think you've misunderstood what I said. I have never advocated "bashing cops." I have, however, advocated protection of our historic freedoms that out forefathers fought so hard to win and people today find so easy to give away. Secondly, I do vote and it should be clear to most who read my posts of which party I belong. Lastly, I am currently on Lake Michigan but lived aboard for ten years in South Florida, the Bahamas and the Caribbean. I have never been stopped anywhere south of 24 degrees south by the CG or Marine Police but have been stopped once on Lake Michigan by the CG on a night passage when I failed to turn on my navigation lights promptly just before dusk. My greatest concern today, Cadence, is that with the changing demographics and culture of America, we will morph into a society that would be unrecognizable by our Founding Fathers. This is no greater a fear than Canadians, Mother England or our friends in New Zealand or Australia would feel if the same were to threaten their culture and way of life. So, in the case point of this discussion, I am strictly opposed to unreasonable searches and seizures "without probable cause" as guaranteed by the 4th Amendment of the US Constitution. The boarding of a vessel at anchor or a vessel underway "without probable cause" is a direct violation of my constitutional rights. It's that simple. Hope this explains my beliefs. Good luck and good sailing.
Old 03-09-2015, 14:00   #219

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Cadence,
I think you've misunderstood what I said. I have never advocated "bashing cops." I have, however, advocated protection of our historic freedoms that out forefathers fought so hard to win and people today find so easy to give away. Secondly, I do vote and it should be clear to most who read my posts of which party I belong. Lastly, I am currently on Lake Michigan but lived aboard for ten years in South Florida, the Bahamas and the Caribbean. I have never been stopped anywhere south of 24 degrees south by the CG or Marine Police but have been stopped once on Lake Michigan by the CG on a night passage when I failed to turn on my navigation lights promptly just before dusk. My greatest concern today, Cadence, is that with the changing demographics and culture of America, we will morph into a society that would be unrecognizable by our Founding Fathers. This is no greater a fear than Canadians, Mother England or our friends in New Zealand or Australia would feel if the same were to threaten their culture and way of life. So, in the case point of this discussion, I am strictly opposed to unreasonable searches and seizures "without probable cause" as guaranteed by the 4th Amendment of the US Constitution. The boarding of a vessel at anchor or a vessel underway "without probable cause" is a direct violation of my constitutional rights. It's that simple. Hope this explains my beliefs. Good luck and good sailing.
Well stated and we are in total agreement. I need to say I am sorry. I think I got my ass on my shoulders and read something from others into it. Damn, if we want to anchor and have a drink, if we aren't causing someone else a problem so what. I would expect an anchored boat to be your home and have the same rights. If you fall overboard from being drunk that's your misjudgment.

It isn't law enforcement it is our lack of government politically protecting our rights.

Unfortunately, I think the morph is well on it's way.
Old 03-09-2015, 15:01   #220

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

All relevant information had been provided in this thread and now we are wandering off into other areas. Thread has served its purpose and is now closed.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
anchor