Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2009, 18:23   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
That's very unfortunate. After calling the police, the second thing I would do is chain the boat to the dock.
Yours? Why? You think she is not only an irresponsible (or kidnapped) kid but also a thief?

Because as far as I remember there was no boat yet. Just the 'plans' and the media campaign. Lots of it.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 18:30   #17

Dutch Antilles - Aruba perhaps?

Well, the money is gone I guess ;-)

;-)))
Old 20-12-2009, 19:06   #18
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Yours? Why? You think she is not only an irresponsible (or kidnapped) kid but also a thief?

Because as far as I remember there was no boat yet. Just the 'plans' and the media campaign. Lots of it.

b.
You remember incorrectly, barnakiel. Laura Dekker has a boat and I believe the remark was a light-hearted "warning" that if no one knew where she was, it would be logical to suspect that she may try to sail away on her boat.

It's possible you're confusing her with Abby Sunderland. She was boatless when she announced a few months ago that she would be setting out in December (now) on her quest to become the "youngest 'round." There were many of us who doubted she would be able to acquire a vessel, prepare it for the voyage, and depart before the end of the year.

Abby Sunderland has gotten a boat, now, and while she will probably have to delay her departure, she is actually on track to mount a serious effort.

TaoJones
Old 21-12-2009, 05:37   #19

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
Zach's little sister is going to try, what is it with people? I decided against trying after my dad threatened to ground me for life and lock me in the house. next thing you know there will be 12 year olds thinking they can cross the atlantic in a 6' dinghy.

Hey Tao, nice to see your still here, got my own boat now i'll put pictures later today.
Old 21-12-2009, 06:10   #20

Boat: 33ft sloop
Someone in her little neighbourhood put her high on the "political" agenda. Her non-departure will be assured as if she were a highly sought after criminal; the tone-setting of the media is also something to wonder about. Leaving plenty room for the most absurd insults and speculations.
She was recognised by a certain woman who called the police. It seems that the friend or 2nd husband of her mother filed her missing. There is probably a sincere difference of opinion in her family about her future plans.
The governmental suborganisation that has been involved with her observation, is an ill-famous movement of questionable people with idem behaviour, quite often officially reprimanded for their actions.
For them, Laura is a 'political' case and no doubt that her recent action will definitely have a negative result.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 06:57   #21

Boat: Shamrock 246 Open
“Her father, Dick Dekker, supports her attempt at the record, while her mother has expressed some concerns.”

Was her mother against it? If so, that should have ended the debate. I feel both parents should make the final decision and the government should only intervene in extreme cases. Governments are only good at creating bureaucracy, spending money and taxing. Not raising kids as this case clearly shows.
scubasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 07:06   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve View Post
“Her father, Dick Dekker, supports her attempt at the record, while her mother has expressed some concerns.”

Was her mother against it? If so, that should have ended the debate. I feel both parents should make the final decision and the government should only intervene in extreme cases. Governments are only good at creating bureaucracy, spending money and taxing. Not raising kids as this case clearly shows.
This is a valid point.

Problem is no one knows precisely what is fact and what is made up by the press.
The problem is centered at her very small community where one bureaucrat is raising as many obstacles as he can find to stall Laura's attempt.
In his case against Laura, the law is with him.
As long as she lives in Holland, she is under Dutch law that obliges her to go to school at minimum till she is sixteen. The only way out is the official way out - which means that she has to leave the country and settle somewhere else. I believe her father cannot arrange that and her mother won' t let her go, neither does the Government.
Very little to be done for the girl now she literally burned her ships.
Old 21-12-2009, 08:54   #23

Boat: Currently unknown
Don't know if this is new, but Laura is currently at the Airport in Sint Maarten waiting for a connecting flight (via Curacao) back to the Netherlands.
'Laura vloog niet van Nederlandse luchthaven' | nu.nl/binnenland | Het laatste nieuws het eerst op nu.nl
Sorry that it's in Dutch, but I figure that news articles are misleading enough without the added extra of lost in translation.
Lots of speculation as to why she didn't just fly straight to New Zealand and petition to stay there- she is a dual citizen...
All she took with her was a guitar and some clothes, so it sounds more like a school break than an active attempt to escape Holland. The only strange part was how she managed to get through airport security without so much as a raised eyebrow.
amybridget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 09:06   #24

This is turning badly as it seems right now.
Now the whole bunch of Governmental organizations are toppling over her travel and, knowing the power of such organisations (there are a minimal of 2 involved) it might a possibility that she will put under strict guard which might implicate that her father looses his custody.
She is now waiting for her plane to Curacao and than back to Amsterdam.
This little mouse will have a long tail.
A pity. It's not the end of story.
Old 21-12-2009, 09:10   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
After being this irresponsible to herself and to others, it appears that the wise choice was to not allow her to make the attempt at the circumnavigation.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 09:14   #26

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Just to clarify she did not take her boat the St. Maarten's right? I think the line about chaining up her boat might be a touch misleading.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 09:17   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Perhaps we should all chain up our boats until she has been found?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 10:09   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Perhaps we should all chain up our boats until she has been found?
Yes, that's humor probably the best way to look at it.

On the other hand, it's a pity. The point is (as I learned from my brother who is strongly interested (lawyer) in the case) there is a dispute between mother/friend on the one side and father on the other side.

Hundreds of immigrant children are failing to go to school and turning the neighborhoods of the Dutch cities into little ghettos as you may find in Casa or Tangier, Rabat etc. No way you'll find the wellfare's in their vicinity.
It's just the easy targets like Laura who are the victims. And yes, Laura is now a victim. You may rest assured.
The welfare people have the strict verdict to leave - although unlawful - the immigrant children alone. So they have the time and energy to pull full power after the adventurous like Laura.
A pity but it is like that in Holland.
Old 21-12-2009, 14:29   #29

Yup. Correct. She does have a boat. I was wrong.

Now rather than be getting the boat ready she elected to make more publicity by disappearing. (I think it was 'disappearing').

If I were the sponsor, I would NOT sponsor this kind of personality. To me, ocean sailing IS about being serious and responsible among other things.

b.
Old 21-12-2009, 20:26   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I just wonder how a 14 y/o gets access to 5 grand, airiline tickets and a passport and having done so why the airline and immigration raised no eyebrow.

There is a lot more to this story, I am sure.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote