Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2009, 20:44   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
The last time I brought my son out of the country the airline required a notarized letter from his mother saying I had her approval. Dan is right, how does a 14 year old get through with nobody's approval?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 22:22   #32
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Laura Dekker is bi-national, meaning she carries both a Dutch and a Kiwi passport. Since she can't be in both places at once, she obviously had to travel to one from the other at some point, and would have had to have her passport (her choice which one she used) to do so. She has probably had passports from a very young age - yeah, I know, it sounds like a funny thing to say about someone who is only 14.

She was already within Europe, and would have the right to freely travel to any other EU country with no questions asked. But even if she flew to the Caribbean from the Netherlands, and not some other EU country, it wasn't like the Dutch authorities were expecting her to leave the country and had her under surveillance.

I, and I'm sure many others, traveled regularly on my own from the age of 13. I can even remember children much younger than that traveling from one city to another by just being handed off to a flight attendant who was asked to "keep an eye on him / her, please."

A far more trusting time, to be sure.

TaoJones
Old 21-12-2009, 23:12   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
<snip>
She has probably had passports from a very young age - yeah, I know, it sounds like a funny thing to say about someone who is only 14.

<snip>

I can even remember children much younger than that traveling from one city to another by just being handed off to a flight attendant who was asked to "keep an eye on him / her, please."

A far more trusting time, to be sure.

TaoJones
Having a passport is understandable. Having it in her posession is not. Having access to 5,000 bucks is not.

And the point about, "Here she is take care of her" is taken which means someone would have had to deliver her to the airport.

In actuality airlines have a bit more complicated process than, "Keep an eye on her." Especially a minor travelling internationally.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 23:47   #34
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Having a passport is understandable. Having it in her posession is not. Having access to 5,000 bucks is not.

And the point about, "Here she is take care of her" is taken which means someone would have had to deliver her to the airport.

In actuality airlines have a bit more complicated process than, "Keep an eye on her." Especially a minor travelling internationally.
No, the anecdote about children traveling alone was from the early 60s. I'm not suggesting that it's like that today.

But it seems odd to posit that it isn't possible for a 14 year-old girl to travel internationally, unaccompanied - she's already put the lie to that notion. How she got access to 3000 Euros is unknown (at least, by me) but it isn't unknown for children to go through a parent's wallet and to use a credit card found there. Having her passports in her possession doesn't strike me as peculiar, though having them after this episode would be unlikely.

TaoJones
Old 22-12-2009, 16:09   #35

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
I shouldn't wonder that she had her passport ready at hand. Europeans are much more used to using passports than we North Americans are. Especially since the formation of the EU. And since we don't know how much money was in her account and what the banking rules are over there, anything we think is just speculation.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 16:44   #36

Boat: 33ft sloop
First of all, she traveled w/o a valid passport. Probably with only an ID.
Within EU boundaries (only the Schengen countries) you do not need a passport but a valid ID will suffice. However, not for the airliners. How she avoided that, is still a mystery to me. She could not have flown from Amsterdam, or Rotterdam straight to St Maarten. There are no direct flights to St Maarten, maybe from Luxembourg or France. If she managed to get to CDG, it is peanuts to go to the French side of Sint Maarten.
So, ID will do, no passport needed.

Money: She got that from her grandparents. Who knew beforehand about her flight. It has nothing to do with her planned voyage but happens to be a misery affair of the (mal) treatment of the youth organization that guards her and have threatened her recently with out-of-house placement.
She is solely a very unhappy kid that bolted.
Her case will be continued tomorrow.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 08:38   #37

Boat: Gulfstar 40cc
Update: Laura, sick of Dutch authorities (Jeugdzorg - Dep. of youthcare), school and media took a plane from Paris to St.Maarten to escape from government interference and I have to say the Dep. of Youthcare has a terrible reputation here in Holland. Today court will take a decision for future "plans". Laura is just a teenager who was used to the freedom of living aboard and sailing around the world - back in Holland she's got some problems to live like "ordinary people" - she's used to FREEDOM and Government don't like that - they want to control you. A phrase in a Pink Floyd song: he teacher...leave them kids alone!
sokkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 08:57   #38

Yes Stokkum, right you are. I mentioned it already before but good for you to confirm. The scenario I saw turned out to be correct. Actually it was the only available option.
Unfortunatly her lawyer seems to put oil in the fire by making undiplomatic accusations. Maybe principally correct but it is a bad behavior to try to get judges dismissed from the case. Their brotherhood is small and unforgiving.

What next? The little girl' s rep has been wrecked considerably in the process. Careful guidance could have avoided this happening.
Old 23-12-2009, 09:23   #39

BREAKING NEWS !!!!

Dutch Court agreed (finally) with Laura's plans !!

1) She is allowed to follow her plans
2) No 'outplacement'
3) Youthcare lost their case against Laura!

Finally a first victory for Laura.

Details will follow!

Old 23-12-2009, 09:58   #40

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Sounds like wonderful news!! Looking forward to hearing more!

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 13:31   #41

It looks like the judges of the court calmed down the two opposing parties and have set the conditions of Laura's departure a bit more clearly.

She is subject to follow courses on sleeping rhythm, First Aid and related preparations.
This did not happen sofar. The judges considered that both parties 'misunderstood' each other. A new plan of preparation have been set up and Laura is allowed to stay with her father.
It is not as the tv news released an unconditional surrender of the Governmental organization called "Jeugdzorg" - however they have been asked to support Laura in her plans.

So everybody put some water in the wine.

So far so good.
I'll try to get the officia lruling as soon as it is available.
Old 22-03-2010, 13:12   #42

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Added Update taken from another site today

'Fourteen-year-old Dutch girl Laura Dekker has bought a 37ft Jeanneau Sun Fizz ketch in which she plans to sail solo, on an around the world cruise starting this July.

To read the entire article, go to:

http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/news/...g-world-cruise

.....anyone got as ten year old we could throw at this record - or should we cut to a four year old - and really give them something to go at?

JOHN
Old 22-03-2010, 22:29   #43

What I want to know is what sort of allowance is she on, at fourteen it took me over a year to save enough money to buy the pushbike I wanted...
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 14:30   #44
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Ah, but you should never ask the Dutch how they get their money... trade secrets etc. ;-)

Laura has got law & parents behind her plans now so it looks like it's gonna happen.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 16:42   #45

Boat: Currently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
.....anyone got as ten year old we could throw at this record - or should we cut to a four year old - and really give them something to go at?

JOHN
I'm thinking we just strap a baby to the mast and snag the record for good.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote