Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2014, 14:04   #1

Boat: Islander 32 MII "Brilliant Sea"
Farmingdale Salvage to scrap boats March 19

A heads up to all!

I was just at this salvage yard last Thurs and heard from one of the fellows there that they will begin to scrap all remaining Sandy damaged boats on March 19th. What this means is that they will accept some very low bids on the remaining boats there. Some of the boats are trash but there are a lot that are in damn good shape.

Link: YachtSalvage.com: Yacht Brokers Specializing In The Purchase And Sales Of Boats, Damaged Yachts, And Parts, A Division Of Certified Sales Inc

I walked the yard specifically to look at the 30' S-2 Tiara that a friend was interested in. The rudder is fixable, the starboard galley area has some water damage due to a broken port light that let snow and rain in but not too bad. The motor and shaft spins and the oil looks good. They drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the bottom of the hull to let it drain. Scrapes and rubber rub rail broken off in places but hull to deck joint is intact. Five stanchions are bent, the mast is undamaged and there are two mainsails in good condition on board. From the salon towards the bow everything is perfect, good cushions ect. The head is clean and has shower. The bottom of the hot water heater looks rusted out. All in all a really good project boat. We said if we bid on it would only go $1000 and he said that's probably acceptable. My friend went with a different boat so it's still up for grabs!

So if any of you are looking for some great project boats I suggest checking it out!

Also I got on board that 32' Hunter with the hole in the hull and she is like new inside. Its about a 20" hole above waterline and is not near a bulkhead. Stanchions are bent and a few scuffs but someone could have a nice boat if fixed right. I bet you could get that one for cheap!

Happy hunting,
Markus
Brilliant Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 22:04   #2

Boat: Watkins 29'
Re: Farmingdale Salvage to scrap boats March 19

Been watching this company since the storm, always have something interesting.
Old 26-02-2014, 23:21   #3

Boat: Islander 32 MII "Brilliant Sea"
Re: Farmingdale Salvage to scrap boats March 19

There are good if not great boats there, use common sense and take your time to inspect them. I'm going back Friday to bid low on what I see as a boat that will float at a decimal of what its worth(500bid to 30,000value damaged, 60,000 fixed), just a few scratches and elbow grease...pfffft.

Disclaimer...I do not work for or am hired by the place, I'm just telling those of you that want a project boat for super cheap to have a look. Farmingdale New Jersey BTW.
Brilliant Sea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, salvage