Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2012, 19:33   #16
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Florida Keys Getting Closer to Loosing Anchoring Rights

In 1999 Rich Jones and Monroe County came out with their first plan to limit anchoring in Boot Key. At the time the marina was controlled by the County. Marathon at the same time was looking for votes to incorporate. If I recall correctly the anchoring restricting proposal was a highly debated subject the soon to be City of Marathon stood behind the boaters and stated if they voted for incorporating,the City would never take away the boaters rights. Thirteen years later and here we stand.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 19:42   #17
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

As a side note to my previous post, this in no way reflects on the City Marina in Marathon or the people that work there. They do a fantastic job and have all my respect.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 08:31   #18

Boat: 1988 46' Island Trader by Marine Trader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell

Not really so different that different rules are needed. Having different regulations makes cruising very difficult as you can't possibly put signs everywhere saying no anchoring here, register after 90 days there, stay 200 feet off here, etc. It would be like deciding that it is better to drive on the left in Key West because of local desires, while Marathon prefers the right, and Islamorada likes the left. Cruisers won't know what laws pertain where. It is why we have a uniform rules of the road etc. All of this is just a money grab in Marathon. The city has a shortfall of around $150,000 in their budget for the marina and moorings and they are trying to force everyone onto moorings and to pay more at the dinghy dock, which is now $22 per day. Same issues in St. Pete, Sarasota, St. Augustine, and Martin County--they just want to force people to pay up. St. Augustine needs the revenue for improvements to the city marina. Follow the money and you will understand where these regs. originate. The other excuses are a smokescreen.
Agreed 100% that these mooring fields are a huge downfall & cost. With the no buffer zone and the raise in rates, it's in my opinion, a way to make an opportunity to put in more moorings in Marathon. With them already being in the red it will only get worse, cost wise, with more moorings. But that is a problem with society nowadays, more laws, more rules and too many governments believing that we as humans are stupid or need to be governed like a day camp. Or at the very least penny us to death with one fee or tax added here or there.

The biggest complaint that we as cruisers seem to hear about the need for the Pilot Program is, derelict boats, unsightly boats, etc... But if derelict boats are the reason for doing a Pilot Program, why don't they just enforce the laws that are already in place? Seem like too simple of a solution, if that's their true concern. Only 50 boats max. would fit into their new only designated anchorage area in BKH. At peak of season this year, it would have thrown about 100 boats out of the Harbor and put them in more harms way anchored outside the island. I don't know the size of areas in other anchorages/moorings in Florida. But I do know Marathon has a heavy volume of users with a full mooring field (250+ moorings) and 150+ boats anchored in BKH, Sisters Creek and Whiskey Creek. And with the mention of Sisters & Whiskey Creeks, those are the best anchoring solutions for year round boaters to hide from hurricanes if a threat does come their way.

Personal opinion: people in houses can sit there saying boats ruin their view of the landscape. Where as myself I could also say their houses are blocking our views of the natural land. But that is just as crazy as a dog chasing its own tail.

P.S. city council is holding a meeting at City Marina in regards to the rate increases and looking at other options next Thursday @ 5pm. We'll see what comes out of that.

Coup d Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 10:06   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

You really can't bring in the "problem" with government these days.
Unless you mean the rich are increasingly sticking it to wage earners. It's the small government types here in St Augustine supporting the increased regulation. A total not in my backyard type situation.
Boatguy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 17:23   #20

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul

Looks like Palm Beach county has come up with a way to eliminate anchoring:

Cruiser's Net » Archive » IMPORTANT – Bizarre Proposal to Partially Fill North Lake Worth, North Palm Beach, AICW Statute Mile 1014

Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 17:53   #21

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post

It's so transparent, I don't think it'll wash.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 06:38   #22

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
You really can't bring in the "problem" with government these days.
Unless you mean the rich are increasingly sticking it to wage earners. It's the small government types here in St Augustine supporting the increased regulation. A total not in my backyard type situation.
Well, not to thread drift too much, but the "problem" tends to be government organizations pretty much just make laws and regulate. They rarely remove laws. So the natural trend is more more more.

I'm only 41("only", ha!) and even I shake my head how much more involved the government is in my day to day life than it was 20 years ago. I can only imagine it feels worse the older you get.

Having said that, these towns are tossing in all these rules and price jumps to a cruising community that's

1> Typically older and not seeing many young replacements come in.
2> Many are retired or entering retirement and may have fixed incomes.
3> Aren't usually tied down to any one place.

Established cruisers can easily run off to greener pastures and when they leave there aren't exactly a lot of new ones coming in to replace them.
LauderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, florida