Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2016, 12:27   #271

Re: FWC Derelict Enforcement Marathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
ok, back to the poor and how they can't afford their dream and the rest of us should foot the bill? Or was it about removing derelict boats and cost to tax payer's?

I'm glad I live in Washington State. The anchoring in public water's rules here are clear, concise and enforced. Here you will pay. If you don't like the law's here, don't come here. If you don't like the law's the good people of Florida have voted on, don't go there. Seems so simple, yet so few seem to understand it.
Funny but we as society are already doing it for tens of millions of nonboaters. Google how many people are on welfare, receiving food stamps, educational grants, fuel assistance, etc. Strange that some (many?) in the boating community want to exclude their fellow boaters from those already receiving assistance. I guess the concept of solidarity with one's own kind is a foreign concept to them. And don't tell me you can't possibly a "see yourslef owning a derelict boat" since each of us is only one failed throughhull away from that.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:29   #272
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
FWC Derelict Enforcement Marathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
It is amazing how many people are holier than thou. I can understand derelict boats being a problem but not painting anchoring with such a broad brush.

Read what she said,
I believe it was something about the down and out anchorouts.
If your not "down and out" then its not about you.
Some are down and out.
I recognize that to a great extent what separates me from them is not much more than luck, I could very easily be down and out myself.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:31   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
If long term anchoring and derelict boats were not a problem, we wouldn't be seeing laws being passed to regulate them.

If we want to minimize the effect of these laws on cruisers, we will support efforts to remove derelict boats and "squatters".
They are a "problem" for only the tiniest number of people. Mostly the few very wealthy oceanfront property owners and wealth cruisers who are afraid to anchor too close to those "derelicts" for fear of their "oysters and swans" being damaged by them. For teh great majority of general public (not just the boating public) they are rarely an issue. Unless of course those wealthy few buy enough legislators to make it a problem crying to be solved. A classic case of a "solution in search of a problem"
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 13:07   #274

Boat: 1979 Endeavor 32

Do you think it would surprise anyone to know that corporate entities and the elite benefit the most from government assistance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Funny but we as society are already doing it for tens of millions of nonboaters. Google how many people are on welfare, receiving food stamps, educational grants, fuel assistance, etc. Strange that some (many?) in the boating community want to exclude their fellow boaters from those already receiving assistance. I guess the concept of solidarity with one's own kind is a foreign concept to them. And don't tell me you can't possibly a "see yourslef owning a derelict boat" since each of us is only one failed throughhull away from that.
CareKnot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men