Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2016, 14:11   #76

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: FWC Derelict Enforcement Marathon

Four "poor" people have abandoned their worthless boats within a few hundred yards of my marina. One is sunk in the channel and marina staff marked it, one is on the rocks next to the boat ramp, one is sunk and slowly breaking apart in the marsh and the other is sitting high and dry in the marsh after the recent hurricane.

Who here is sticking up for these guys? Who believes they have a right to do this?
Old 26-10-2016, 14:34   #77

://
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 14:38   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
Not my problem. and sure as hell not an excuse for the behavior of these people. Dumping garbage? dumbing raw sewage? local theft increase's? boat's abandoned? navigational hazard? What's that have to do with 30ft or 35ft? nothing. Not paying the same fee's for registration and licencing as everyone else as required by law? Those same law abiding people who payed as required now also paying for the clean up. If you can't afford a life style you have chosen, is it for the rest of us to pay your way?
My point is there are people anchored out in california and most likely florida, that use to have a loveaboard slip, but the laws changed and now their boats are too small. They are anchored out because the marina they were in kicked them out for now not meeting a new law. Lots of new laws about criminalizing homelessness. Just more NIMBY

California like Florida also has a Derelict law on the books, that allow the state to seize a boat and arrest folks that have no where else to go. I agree that true derelict boats need to go. But arresting folk and throwing them in jail for being poor is in my rainbow unicorn liberal mind just as big a problem and costs the taxpayer far more then just leaving them be. We of course disagree on this and that's ok.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 14:39   #79

https://youtu.be/TyZrRZqc_kE
Old 26-10-2016, 14:43   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Four "poor" people have abandoned their worthless boats within a few hundred yards of my marina. One is sunk in the channel and marina staff marked it, one is on the rocks next to the boat ramp, one is sunk and slowly breaking apart in the marsh and the other is sitting high and dry in the marsh after the recent hurricane.

Who here is sticking up for these guys? Who believes they have a right to do this?
I'll raise my hand...

So the four boats dragged during the last hurricane. It's a shame that happen. If that happened to my boat It would be nice if folks helped get the boat refloated rather then bitch about the indignity of having to see someone else poor luck. But that's just me.
Old 26-10-2016, 14:49   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
My point is there are people anchored out in california and most likely florida, that use to have a loveaboard slip, but the laws changed and now their boats are too small. They are anchored out because the marina they were in kicked them out for now not meeting a new law. Lots of new laws about criminalizing homelessness. Just more NIMBY

California like Florida also has a Derelict law on the books, that allow the state to seize a boat and arrest folks that have no where else to go. I agree that true derelict boats need to go. But arresting folk and throwing them in jail for being poor is in my rainbow unicorn liberal mind just as big a problem and costs the taxpayer far more then just leaving them be. We of course disagree on this and that's ok.
I don't want to see anyone in jail, it's a sad, bad place to be. But some folks belong there. All they have to do is be legal and they are given every chance to do so.
I would suggest to you that if you think these poooor people are going to jail for being poor, you need to send them YOUR money and stop expecting me or anyone else to pick up the price for their lack of living within finacial means, or for that matter your " rainbow unicorn liberal opinion.
Your words, not mine.
Old 26-10-2016, 14:51   #82

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
and I think your incorrect and the news articale supports my opinion of who and what these people are. Also my own observation's on vessels in this condition.
So who is assuming what? sounds like you are the one assuming.
The proof is in the pudding. The people paying tax's and voting law have had enough of your " cheap freedom" at their expense.
I am also tired of slugs bleeding the tax payer. I just think you were using to broad a brush as to people abandoning boats. I have no idea as to what "cheap freedom" means? I am right of center but really don't think derelicts are more than people following the impossible dream for the most part. Now you could live where junkies do it, so I guess I must be fortunate?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 14:52   #83

Quote:
I'll raise my hand...

So the four boats dragged during the last hurricane. It's a shame that happen. If that happened to my boat It would be nice if folks helped get the boat refloated rather then bitch about the indignity of having to see someone else poor luck. But that's just me.
OH, the same people who collected the insurance for the vessel and then walked away?
Old 26-10-2016, 14:53   #84

one thing this thread has shown.
Stupidity is still free.
Old 26-10-2016, 15:01   #85

Quote:
Stupidity is still free.
Yep! I will leave it alone past that.
Old 26-10-2016, 15:05   #86
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Well I just did learn something about florida and boats. 1/4 th of boat registration fees are set aside in a fund to be used to dispose of derelict vessels.
So that kinda shoots the taxpayer paying the cost in the foot. Have to admit that it is much higher than here . On my boat it just cost I think 5 bucks added to registration but then my registration was 30.25 this year.
Old 26-10-2016, 15:07   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
OH, the same people who collected the insurance for the vessel and then walked away?
ROFL... Like me many have just liability insurance as old boats are charged more just for being old. Some have no insurance and there is no law saying that they need any.

I have helped other people out with cash, and that's with me making $600/month. I have also been on the receiving side from time to time and it helps.

As to living within their means, I believe most are trying too. No one wakes up and says gee I think I'll be a derelict, it sounds like fun.

Alas, stuff happens that knock folks down. Been there done that.
Old 26-10-2016, 15:10   #88

Quote:
ROFL... Like me many have just liability insurance as old boats are charged more just for being old. Some have no insurance and there is no law saying that they need any.

I have helped other people out with cash, and that's with me making $600/month. I have also been on the receiving side from time to time and it helps.

As to living within their means, I believe most are trying too. No one wakes up and says gee I think I'll be a derelict, it sounds like fun.

Alas, stuff happens that knock folks down. Been there done that.
Old 26-10-2016, 15:12   #89
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Stupidity is still free.
You are such a Sweet talker. Mind you If your referring in any way to me, you are exceedingly mistaken. Just because I'm not a grumpy old codger, which I am so thankful for btw, does not mean I am wrong. Does not mean I'm right either. We just agree to disagree.
Old 26-10-2016, 15:33   #90

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Agree.

And I have no problem with policing things which physically impact us all such as open waste discharge, poor and dangerous anchoring or anchoring in the middle of the channel, etc. But the problem I have is with the direction of the trend. If it were only about the true derelicts I'd agree 100%. But it never would stop there. Next would be people who anchor to hoard them into paying mooring and dockage fees. Then it would be "seasonal demand pricing" to gouge the year around residents (even with nice and clean boats) into moving away to make room for the grey poupon crowd. And we will end up like some sort of segregated 3rd world hell hole where the haves will live behind high walls and the have nots will be dreaming how to take over Hugo Chavez style. If you don't think we're already moving in that direction do I have a bridge to sell you.
ConTrails site must be down again!
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men