Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2007, 00:36   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I'll do that and then no one will get in trouble. I'll promise to tell myself off afterwards. :-)http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...n-99172279.htm

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:15   #47

Alan..........your a very naughty boy......................there job done....
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:05   #48
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
CSY, I thought that had sold.
No, still for sale.
Old 14-05-2007, 18:04   #49

Auction #2 is done!

Hi folks,

Auction Number 2 closed last night with a whopping 51 bucks! I fear I may have killed our momentum a bit, since with all the re-postings I accidentally made it a seven day auction. In any case we have made great progress, thank in part to a number of the people here. So thanks for that!

Unfortunately none of the posters had boatie type stuff to sell, so I am on the hunt for the next item that would be good to sell. Any opinions? Anybody need anything in particular? I had thought of buying a bunch of line and splicing up mooring lines for people to order, or making turks heads, etc and auctioning them off, but I dont think 51 dollars will get me much of a spool of line yet. I was also looking at a kayak, or maybe bilge pump, or other boatie item.

Any thoughts on the approach would be appreciated. Unfortunately this is not nearly as fun as swapping items, but what can you do.

Thanks so much folks!

Brian and Clare
brian and clare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2007, 18:13   #50
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
I am in Auckland and am looking on TM for a manual bilge pump, radar reflector, storm tri-sail (about 6m luff), drogue & good quality handheld VHF. Any of these I'd been bidding on. If you're interested I can get you about the best price available for some rope, PM me your contact details.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2007, 05:50   #51

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Just saw this thread

What a great idea! This is exactly what we are doing (with a little twist) Wehave made it up to a 15' Chrysler Man-O-War now that the oldest kids are sailing as we clean it up and get it ready to sell this week. We expect to get our first boat within thje next couple of weeks. I had my eye on a Privateer 26 which is up north but it is looking like the cost of transporting it here will kill the deal. I now have my eye on a Catalina 27 with a stuck A-4 engine that is closer. I think it is a good start.
My hat is off to Brian and Clare for their inventiveness and hard work. I will keep my eye on their auction and keep in contact with them to be sure that I do not inadvertantly list a similar item to what they have at the sme time.
Great job Brian and Clare - I will be watching your auctions from now on also.
clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2007, 14:13   #52

Hi, thanks for the support, weare in New Zealand, so I dont think there will be much problem ;O) Still no next auction, I am waiting on an item that closes tomorrow. With luck it will be up soon. Thanks for the advice on things to buy, that was exactly the input we were looking for. Now to find those items and buy them!

OK have a great day folks,

B&C
Old 20-05-2007, 18:23   #53

lost out on a bid for item

Hi guys,

FYI, we are still out here, looking for our next item. Lost out this weekend on some good things on trademe, and now we are trying to look for something else to buy that isn't junk. If anyone has something good they want to sell for 51 dollars. please let us know, as getting a good item to trade is harder than it seems.

Stiill trucking along, We havent given up the fight,

B&C
Old 22-05-2007, 17:47   #54

We are BACK with the next item!

Well it took a while, and we got beaten out on a bunch of really good stuff (boat bbq, some folding bikes, etc) and found that it is pretty tough to find a decent item for 51 dollars that doesnt shoot up to 70 at the last five minutes. So since it seemed to be taking forever, we thought we should bite the bullet, and split it up into a few decent items instead of one really great item that seemed tough to find. We bought some collapsable buckets and a sushi cookbook with a DVD with the winnings from the last auction, and those are posted on trademe now. As one comment said, it seems a step backward, but we had to get back in the game or people might think we had given up. So anyway, thanks for the support. Hope everyone is still following our progress.

Thanks!

Brian and Clare
Old 23-05-2007, 12:48   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I don't see it as a step back. You are going to have to diversify at some time. Or you end up with big end stuff that most would not be able to afford to bid on. I don't think many of us mind wasting a few dollars to bid on something, but when it becomes a big ticket item, you have to think twice.
Can you provide the links to the items Please.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2007, 14:19   #56
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Just bought me 4 of those buckets for Cat 1 before you listed. They seem to be well constructed and very good value for money.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2007, 16:40   #57

Boat: 27' Albin Vega - mangomuffins
good for you

Hi Kids,

Don't let slightly jaundiced viewpoints sway you from your course. I'm sure you've noticed that most of the posts were very supportive. I've purchased several boats,lost several boats, recovered several boats, given away several boats and am now the grateful owner of a sweet little cruiser that was given to me (us). Now that's charity... thanks fred.

good luck!!

MM
mangomuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2007, 07:58   #58

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
I am with Alan Wheeler and Mangomuffins - It is not a step backwards - ity is continuing to move forward. As Alan says - most people don't think twice about shelling out a little for a little item, but I for one take a long hard look at big ticket items. My wife buys alot of things at garage sales and such that she uses on her auctions and she is doing pretty good that way. Just little things.
clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 23:20   #59

back again

Hi guys,

Well we are back again, and still have a couple of buckets and now a rigging knife to sell on trademe (up tomorrow). We are experimenting with not using all of the featured item things, since they charge us 3.50 for that, and it kind of cuts into the profit margin on a 10 dollar item. I appreciate the good words about the buckets, as we thought they were pretty cool but didnt exactly go like hotcakes. That said, if no one buys them, I dont mind having one. If I buy one from myself does that count? :O) Anyway. Alan said that I should post a link here , so here goes http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=103297811 Thats for the second of the three buckets, and I will add the link to the knife tomorrow. If anyone does not want me puttin a link on here, thats plenty cool, as we dont want go get under anyones skin with this. Oh, I found a steel boat that buned out in the coromandel, and will post photos. Clare and I took a trip out there this weekend to look at it. I have been warned, and believe me, I am very wary of old rusty steel, but for seven grand, and prety big... Its a ganly, and despite the major rust, is pretty cool looking. No interior or engine though.

OK Thanks guys,

hope everyone had a good long weekend

Brian
Old 06-06-2007, 00:35   #60

Hi Brian
keep plugging away. Happy to talk about "big rusty boats" with you if you want......post some pics soon.

cheers.
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote