Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2017, 09:03   #331

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: HI->Tahiti Dingbats found after 5 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
you asked the question so here goes as far as estimating the wind speeds the vast majority of us that take our vessels offshore can estimate the wind speed rather close.
Differentiate between a killer whale and a shark. Well a whale is a mammal and a shark is a fish . Killer whales ( which are actually a breed of dolphin) have tail flukes that are horizontal.
Sharks which are fish have tail fins that run vertical in relation to their body.
Easy to distinguish .
A loose bolt in a spreader is not a big deal you just need to turn into the wind for a little while to climb the mast ( they had mast steps making it easy to ascend.) repair the bolt issue and continue on .

Any of us that take our boats offshore should be capable of accomplishing the repair.
Thank you Newhaul for writing your response. I was formulating basically the same response in my head but wanted to finish reading all comments before I added my opinion. You took the words right out of my mouth, and I agree 100%
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:11   #332

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Well, at least you looked it up. That's something.
Google is his friend
Old 07-11-2017, 09:33   #333

[QUOTE=Cherod;2514014] I could say that I certainly would not be too concerned with the opinion of someone who sails a 24 ft boat !!QUOTE]
Says the guy, who by his own admission, doesn't even own a boat!!!!??? Wow.... "Sorry, I just can't take you seriously"
Old 07-11-2017, 09:36   #334

I pretty much think most if not all the story is fake.

One thing that was posted here was the mention of there being a geiger counter on board. Is there or wasn't there a program at one time where the public sailors carried them with them and made measurement at certain places? This was because of the earthquake in Japan and the damage to the nuclear power plant there ?

Sorta like the one where you drag a net behind you to catch the little bits plastic and turn in some report at the end of the trip.
Nicor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:38   #335

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

[QUOTE=Souzag818;2514260]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
I could say that I certainly would not be too concerned with the opinion of someone who sails a 24 ft boat !!QUOTE]
Says the guy, who by his own admission, doesn't even own a boat!!!!??? Wow....
Armchair warriors.

You can thank "reality TV."

I'd heard a bit about Survivor and it sounded interesting. Then one day I happened to catch and episode based (purportedly) in Indonesia and had to turn it off within five minutes. I'm certain there were millions of soon-to-be survival experts who continued to be edumacated.

Then there was the Man-Wife Survivor, in dire need of food on an "uninhabited" Pacific island they went a-searching a quickly discovered a whole bunch of coconut (robber) crabs in the crooks of trees.

No wonder city bound TV-enamored snowflakes think they can do anything.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:53   #336

[QUOTE=Tetepare;2514262]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souzag818 View Post

Armchair warriors.

You can thank "reality TV."

I'd heard a bit about Survivor and it sounded interesting. Then one day I happened to catch and episode based (purportedly) in Indonesia and had to turn it off within five minutes. I'm certain there were millions of soon-to-be survival experts who continued to be edumacated.

Then there was the Man-Wife Survivor, in dire need of food on an "uninhabited" Pacific island they went a-searching a quickly discovered a whole bunch of coconut (robber) crabs in the crooks of trees.

No wonder city bound TV-enamored snowflakes think they can do anything.
I quit watching when i found out there is a medical teams just about 100 yards from any of them. Didn't really put much stock in any of it even before then. Oh and the guy that couldn't start a fire and just happened to have a battery and some steel wool with him.... I can think of a lot of other items easier to carry to start a fire with in an emergency than that.
Nicor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:18   #337

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicor View Post
I pretty much think most if not all the story is fake.

One thing that was posted here was the mention of there being a geiger counter on board. Is there or wasn't there a program at one time where the public sailors carried them with them and made measurement at certain places? This was because of the earthquake in Japan and the damage to the nuclear power plant there ?

Sorta like the one where you drag a net behind you to catch the little bits plastic and turn in some report at the end of the trip.
It is ill conceived or BS. Maybe planed on sailing past Japan's plant melt down.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:19   #338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
I wonder if yourself and the many other self opinionated doubters ( euphemism) will be quite so forthcoming with your apologies if or ever it is proven that you all wrong and that it was just an unfortunate misadventure by two fairly incompetent but innocent women who were looking simply for a pleasant cruise .

That is my favoured explanation, but there are some major things in their story that indicate more than 'fairly incompetent'.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:32   #339

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Guard: Halt! Who goes there?
King Arthur: It is I, Arthur, son of Uther Pendragon, from the castle of Camelot. King of the Britons, defeater of the Saxons, Sovereign of all England!
Guard: Pull the other one!
King Arthur: I am, and this is my trusty servant Patsy. We have ridden the length and breadth of the land in search of knights who will join me in my court at Camelot. I must speak with your lord and master.
Guard: What? Ridden on a horse?
King Arthur: Yes!
Guard: You're using coconuts!
King Arthur: What?
Guard: You've got two empty halves of coconut and you're bangin' 'em together.
King Arthur: So? We have ridden since the snows of winter covered this land, through the kingdom of Mercia, through...
Guard: Where'd you get the coconuts?
King Arthur: We found them.
Guard: Found them? In Mercia?! The coconut's tropical!
King Arthur: What do you mean?
Guard: Well, this is a temperate zone.
King Arthur: The swallow may fly south with the sun or the house martin or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land?
Guard: Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?
King Arthur: Not at all. They could be carried.
Guard: What? A swallow carrying a coconut?
King Arthur: It could grip it by the husk!
Guard: It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.
King Arthur: Well, it doesn't matter. Will you go and tell your master that Arthur from the Court of Camelot is here?
Guard: Listen. In order to maintain air-speed velocity, a swallow needs to beat its wings forty-three times every second, right?
King Arthur: Please!
Guard: Am I right?
King Arthur: I'm not not interested!
[A second guard approaches the parapet]
Guard 2: It could be carried by an African swallow!
Guard 1: Oh yeah. An African swallow, maybe -- but not a European swallow, that's my point.
Guard 2: Oh yeah, I agree with that.
King Arthur: [exasperated] Will you ask your master if he wants to join my court at Camelot?!
Guard 1: But, of course, African swallows are non-migratory.
Guard 2: Oh, yeah.
[Arthur begins to depart]
Guard 1: ...So they couldn't bring a coconut back anyway.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:47   #340

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

what color coconuts ?
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:04   #341

I just can't fathom how, after the plethora of disjointed stories, unlikely tales, and clearly debunked claims, anybody at all could consider these two maroons to be simply misunderstood.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:42   #342

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Re the Geiger counter ploy: The levels of radioactivity found at sea are really quite low. In order to detect them one needs both a very sensitive detector (which Geiger counters are not) and a heavy shield to eliminate background radiation. To make the information useful, one also needs to do some spectrometry so as to identify what isotopes are emitting the radiation. The requires laboratory equipment, a device called a pulse height analyzer and some knowledge to interpret the data.

They seem to have lacked ALL of the above, so I kinda doubt that they were involved in even a volunteer effort at measuring contamination from Fukashima (sp?).

Jim
Old 07-11-2017, 11:45   #343

Boat: naver 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
I just can't fathom how, after the plethora of disjointed stories, unlikely tales, and clearly debunked claims, anybody at all could consider these two maroons to be simply misunderstood.
you mean the guards? i also find it hard to believe a swallow can carry a coconut
martinworswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:07   #344

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinworswick View Post
you mean the guards? i also find it hard to believe a swallow can carry a coconut
Wifey B: Were their coconuts big?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:07   #345

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinworswick View Post
Almost anything is possible. If Thor Heyerdahl is telling the truth, one of his expeditions captured two 6' eel elves. Elves are immature, fish-shaped eels that have not yet matured to adopt the well known adult snake-like form. So with 6' elves, we have two options: an eel that never takes a traditional mature form (like the amphibian axolotl) or there are 200' eels in the sea (like we see in the old seafaring block prints.)

I for one don't want to be the one to discover they were correct about strategically planning by tiger sharks simultaneously teaching their offspring to hunt humans on sailboats.

Tags
tahiti