Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2015, 14:26   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: I got to thinking.....

Ozskipper,

If you prefer monos, you might look at deck saloon models. The Naught 40's had a deck saloon model; the Van de Stadt Tasman also comes to mind.

Also, if you're into ketches, their saloons are often cramped. I prefer the open kind of setup, and you will find that with a cutter or sloop that has an aft cockpit. Look at pictures of NZ built sloops, to get a feel for the that setup.

You can always have a bimini for rain/sun shelter. We have a cockpit awning, but lack for sailing shade. Sometimes i think i need a lifesaver's hat or a Mexican sombrero.

It will help if you can write down your requirements--be as specific as possible-- and show them to the brokers. Some brokers don't like it, but the ones who do, are more likely to work with you.

Ann
Old 20-04-2015, 14:38   #17
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Then it really hit me. I want this boat for some Longer Term Cruising. For the first time ever, one of my larger considerations is finding a cabin I will be happy to be stuck in on rainy days. I have just negated so many more boats.
Just think of the many mistakes you just saved yourself. Now think beyond the cabin for what will make a difference in cruising use.
Old 20-04-2015, 16:18   #18

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmbnsf View Post
Why not a catamaran? I seem to see many scoffing at the idea of sailing in a cat, and have yet to see any real reason why. If your looking at getting a boat where interior space and views are a priority a cat I would think is the most logical solution.
A big volume cat is out of my budget sadly. I am looking at the budget end of 30-34footers. A comparably priced cat will simply be tiny inside. That is, unless the lottery guy knocks on my door
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 16:20   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Well, ozskipper,

We looked almost full time till we found this boat for three years. Yes, we kissed some frogs. ...Actually, too many! We were close to making an offer on a (gasp! '-)) catamaran, when the owner decided he was ready to sell this one.

Good luck with the search. What we found was a lot of exaggeration about how good the boats were, then went to see them, and the steelies had lots of hidden rust; the alloy boats had filth lying next the welds, and we had to be extremely careful lookers.

Look at the boats you're interested as if your life depends their integrity *right now*, and I wish you the best of luck!

Ann
Yeh the purchase is a part of the Journey. To be honest, I dont really mind where it is. Getting home is part of the journey also. :-D
Old 20-04-2015, 16:20   #20

Boat: Nauticat 32

A boat with views to all directions from the sofa. In a cool climate, a heater to keep the moisture away and to dry your wet gear. I solved the problem with a Nauticat pilothouse boat :-).
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 16:22   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mserafi1 View Post
There's another alternative with no construction required: sail in Florida. It is the sunshine state with plenty of coastline. I sit in my cockpit and look around all the time and don't feel the need to build anything except, perhaps, another rum and tonic......I'll leave the light on for ya.
hah.. Yeh I like that idea too. Then again, if I am parked near a bar, I can have space and booze, the only problem is that drunk row back into the 30knots of "wet air"
Old 20-04-2015, 16:28   #22

Quote:
Ozskipper,

If you prefer monos, you might look at deck saloon models. The Naught 40's had a deck saloon model; the Van de Stadt Tasman also comes to mind.

Also, if you're into ketches, their saloons are often cramped. I prefer the open kind of setup, and you will find that with a cutter or sloop that has an aft cockpit. Look at pictures of NZ built sloops, to get a feel for the that setup.

You can always have a bimini for rain/sun shelter. We have a cockpit awning, but lack for sailing shade. Sometimes i think i need a lifesaver's hat or a Mexican sombrero.

It will help if you can write down your requirements--be as specific as possible-- and show them to the brokers. Some brokers don't like it, but the ones who do, are more likely to work with you.

Ann
Yeh a pilot house/Deck saloon is certainly an option. As for the cockpit, a "closable" bimini is definitely on order
Old 20-04-2015, 16:31   #23

Boat: Nauticat 32

Should have added, steering from the inside.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 19:31   #24

Boat: FP Lipari 40' Catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Toys_with_time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Its bucketing with rain outside right now. Its a great day to spend on the internet searching for that perfect boat. So far I have been looking for 4-5 months. Having had a variety of boats in the past I am really quite picky.

Then it really hit me. I want this boat for some Longer Term Cruising. For the first time ever, one of my larger considerations is finding a cabin I will be happy to be stuck in on rainy days. I have just negated so many more boats.
Definitely buy a catamaran - you will have 2 choices even when pouring with rain - inside the saloon area or in the covered cockpit if you add clears. Even at sea in filthy weather you will not have to be stuck "down below"

TwT
Old 20-04-2015, 23:39   #25

Know what you mean about the weather. In the Blue Mountains - cold, dark and wet - but heading up to Lake Macquarie on Saturday to check out a potential purchase that I can move down to Pittwater.
Will mostly be just me so the 30 footer I'm considering should do just fine as daysailer and Pittwater "weekender".
markje4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 04:58   #26

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toys_with_time View Post
Definitely buy a catamaran - you will have 2 choices even when pouring with rain - inside the saloon area or in the covered cockpit if you add clears. Even at sea in filthy weather you will not have to be stuck "down below"

TwT
Filthy weather at sea, you might have one more choice, not down below, sitting on top of an overturned hull, clinging for dear life. That's why most don't want a cat for extended ocean travel.
Old 21-04-2015, 06:10   #27
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

too true about the cats. We made the last Atlantic crossing with a few leaners and felt sorry for them constantly complaining about the rolling motion from the swells, seasick crew, squalls, etc. On arriving in the Caribeban and looking at their crossing photos I realised just how much more exposed the cockpit can be, even with full biminis the squalls meant they were in and out of foulies, more often in. Ocasionally a squall would blow some rain under our bimini and wet the cockpit seat (the horror!) and we would have to sit inside the saloon and keep watch till it passed. Anyway, the OP already said he would like a cat but yeah theyre expensive. In Australia any decent cat to livabord is definately going to be over $100K, but theres a ton of decent livaboard Monos at half that price. Getting comfy on a rainy day on a mono really means being below. Even a pilothouse, unless its over 45' is unlikeley to have space you can really lounge, but maybe a nice small setee and table with a nice view out the pilot house windows. Some of the comfiest mono's ive been on have been under 30'. Nice and snuggly, not much volume to heat, warm classic wood interiors. Id definately rate interior comfort well above sailing speed performance. At the end of the day, you get where youre going regardless. Id rather have a 30 day passage in comfort, than a 20 day passage on a cruiser/racer with little style and amenities.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 09:27   #28

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Well, ozskipper,

We looked almost full time till we found this boat for three years. Yes, we kissed some frogs. ...Actually, too many! We were close to making an offer on a (gasp! '-)) catamaran, when the owner decided he was ready to sell this one.

Ann
Well, I had to respond to this...
I have came to an agreement with seller to purchase a monohull, when my wife put her foot down, stating that if I want her to sail/cruise with me it the boat has to be a catamaran. Obviously I (we) cancelled the almost done deal and purchased a catamaran.
Now, I will be the first to agree that the living arrangements of a cat are far superior to a monohull. So if the question is the cabin to stay in, the answer to me at least is clear cut (or clear cat...).
However, if you seek pleasure of sailing and 'sweet' sea motion - a monohull is the path to follow.
Old 21-04-2015, 19:33   #29

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

I love my Nauticat pilot house motorsailer!!

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 22-04-2015, 08:11   #30

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
Well, I had to respond to this...
I have came to an agreement with seller to purchase a monohull, when my wife put her foot down, stating that if I want her to sail/cruise with me it the boat has to be a catamaran. Obviously I (we) cancelled the almost done deal and purchased a catamaran.
Now, I will be the first to agree that the living arrangements of a cat are far superior to a monohull. So if the question is the cabin to stay in, the answer to me at least is clear cut (or clear cat...).
However, if you seek pleasure of sailing and 'sweet' sea motion - a monohull is the path to follow.
Mark,

A mono and a mistress.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote