Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2015, 02:02   #1

Boat: Traditional 30
I got to thinking.....

Its bucketing with rain outside right now. Its a great day to spend on the internet searching for that perfect boat. So far I have been looking for 4-5 months. Having had a variety of boats in the past I am really quite picky.

Then it really hit me. I want this boat for some Longer Term Cruising. For the first time ever, one of my larger considerations is finding a cabin I will be happy to be stuck in on rainy days. I have just negated so many more boats.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 02:45   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: I got to thinking.....

Well, ozskipper,

We looked almost full time till we found this boat for three years. Yes, we kissed some frogs. ...Actually, too many! We were close to making an offer on a (gasp! '-)) catamaran, when the owner decided he was ready to sell this one.

Good luck with the search. What we found was a lot of exaggeration about how good the boats were, then went to see them, and the steelies had lots of hidden rust; the alloy boats had filth lying next the welds, and we had to be extremely careful lookers.

Look at the boats you're interested as if your life depends their integrity *right now*, and I wish you the best of luck!

Ann
Old 20-04-2015, 03:33   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Its bucketing with rain outside right now. Its a great day to spend on the internet searching for that perfect boat. So far I have been looking for 4-5 months. Having had a variety of boats in the past I am really quite picky.

Then it really hit me. I want this boat for some Longer Term Cruising. For the first time ever, one of my larger considerations is finding a cabin I will be happy to be stuck in on rainy days. I have just negated so many more boats.
How about this one!
TVA
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 04:42   #4

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
How about this one!
TVA
haha.. That may be a little too comfortable. Also I really want tupperware.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 08:48   #5

Boat: 1983 Pan Oceanic 38

My first sailboat was purchased in Juneau Alaska in the dark of winter in an area that has massive amounts of rain. Going down below in boats I was looking at purchasing was often entering a dimly lite cave, then I went aboard a pilot house cutter and was sold (bought that boat). So there were a few things on my list of must haves in getting my current boat and #1 on that list was must be a pilot house. Being able to look outside with the larger windows as you sit drinking your morning coffee watching the rain come down is sweet. I also like the defined space of two levels a pilot house offers. So that's my 2cents.
oregoncycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 08:52   #6

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

I am just getting done with a roof over the cockpit and cloth side curtains down to the cockpit sides. I built a hard dodger last year, it makes so much difference being able to climb out the companionway into a dry cockpit and be able to leave the companionway open and not fear rain. So building something onto an existing boat is a possibility you might consider.
Old 20-04-2015, 09:06   #7

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I second the cockpit enclosure idea. So much usable space. Rain was just a word until we moved to the Pacific Northwest and I'm told it's been drier than usual this past winter, kinda hard to believe. I should have wondered why the boat was named Raincoast when we bought it.

At most, I've been stuck for 5 days and if I didn't have the cockpit enclosure I would have gone bonkers. Also gives me a chance to hide from the UV when
it is dry.

Good luck with your search - it can be fun too.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 10:48   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:

Keep looking! There is no such thing.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 10:56   #9

Boat: Offshore 33 cat ketch

There's another alternative with no construction required: sail in Florida. It is the sunshine state with plenty of coastline. I sit in my cockpit and look around all the time and don't feel the need to build anything except, perhaps, another rum and tonic......I'll leave the light on for ya.
mserafi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 11:22   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:

Funny, I found a boat I really liked, 6 ft shorter than the one we have now but much newer and a really well kept boat. I'm sitting there thinking I have found "the" boat. I asked my Wife what she though of it, and her exact words were. "It's going to be really small in here on a rainy day". Now admittedly she was thinking of us and the two kids, where I was thinking just us.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 11:34   #11

Why not a catamaran? I seem to see many scoffing at the idea of sailing in a cat, and have yet to see any real reason why. If your looking at getting a boat where interior space and views are a priority a cat I would think is the most logical solution.
rpmbnsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 11:44   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Well, ozskipper,

We looked almost full time till we found this boat for three years. Yes, we kissed some frogs. ...Actually, too many! We were close to making an offer on a (gasp! '-)) catamaran, when the owner decided he was ready to sell this one.

Good luck with the search. What we found was a lot of exaggeration about how good the boats were, then went to see them, and the steelies had lots of hidden rust; the alloy boats had filth lying next the welds, and we had to be extremely careful lookers.

Look at the boats you're interested as if your life depends their integrity *right now*, and I wish you the best of luck!

Ann
LOL.
Ive been looking for just over a year and seen some lulu's. Your comments struck a chord with me. One broker got upset that I had not bought from him after seeing 5 boats........... I pointed out that the "ideal boat " at an "amazing good value price" that he showed to me all would have needed another 30k-50k to bring to operational service.

Screw it......... I will keep looking till a vessel fits MY requirements.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 12:21   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
LOL.
Ive been looking for just over a year and seen some lulu's. Your comments struck a chord with me. One broker got upset that I had not bought from him after seeing 5 boats........... I pointed out that the "ideal boat " at an "amazing good value price" that he showed to me all would have needed another 30k-50k to bring to operational service.

Screw it......... I will keep looking till a vessel fits MY requirements.

I realize the broker/salesperson is just trying to make a living, but I object to some of them trying to sell you their old grandmother of a boat...sometimes deceased, while telling you how great she looks & runs. YOUR requirements are the ONLY requirements. I'm on the same hunt. I have found myself shaking my head as i walk away. At least it gives me a chance to look around at some of the things i DONT want in a boat. Keep on lookin...she's out there!
kapnkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 12:43   #14

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

I'm in Florida and I built the dodger and cockpit cover more to get out of the sun than the rain, But I also plan to travel up north where the wind protection will be awful nice. I do my best to stay out of the sun and plan to have some skin lift when I'm 90.
Old 20-04-2015, 13:14   #15

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapnkarl View Post
I realize the broker/salesperson is just trying to make a living, but I object to some of them trying to sell you their old grandmother of a boat...sometimes deceased, while telling you how great she looks & runs. YOUR requirements are the ONLY requirements. I'm on the same hunt. I have found myself shaking my head as i walk away. At least it gives me a chance to look around at some of the things i DONT want in a boat. Keep on lookin...she's out there!
Some decided it may be more lucrative than selling used cars. I get a kick out of some sales posts by a "broker". Two toilets, 12 wide, etc. Hell, everyone needs to make a living. You may cut down on wild goose chases by listening to the salesman? Excuse me salesperson.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote