Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2024, 09:28   #31

Boat: Bavaria 38E
Re: It's a buyers market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Bottom line on this topic is "It's a buyers market" if you're looking for an older used boat. Don't go by the asking prices--make an offer that makes sense to you, not whatever the seller wants. Also, be flexible. The minute you focus in on a particular boat, in a particular place, in a certain condition, with certain equipment you vastly increase the price you must be willing to pay.
So preferable to settle for a boat not so pretty or as large as you would like it, not rigged as you wish, in a location from which you might not get full use, so you can buy it for less then spruce it up, install new equipment if you can get it, then move it to a new location so you “save” maybe a few thousand on purchase if that? If you are forever looking to make it (boating) as cheap as possible, then one is sacrificing enjoyment IMO. We’re not buying used cars here where one may be no better than another in important ways. Find the “one” you want and get it if you can.
Auklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2024, 09:29   #32

Around here, it is challenging to sell a boat but not because of an apparent decline in popularity. Marina waitlists are longer than I've ever seen them, so obviously that says something. In fact, that is one of the challenges to selling a boat. People can afford to buy them, but they can't find any place to keep them.
Foswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2024, 10:46   #33

Boat: Downeaster 38

I know someone who is trying to get a boat on the market… broker keeps telling them they absolutely cannot list it for sale because there are soft spots on the deck.

Is that weird? I sure saw a lot of boats with soft spots when we were looking
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2024, 10:55   #34

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
I know someone who is trying to get a boat on the market… broker keeps telling them they absolutely cannot list it for sale because there are soft spots on the deck.

Is that weird? I sure saw a lot of boats with soft spots when we were looking
Sounds like they need a better broker. The one they're talking to probably doesn't want to deal with lower priced or imperfect boats but only wants easy sales with good commission.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2024, 12:19   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schapera View Post
It may be a buyers market for boats, in general, but why is it that boats I want to buy are hard to find and their prices are robust? 😱
Simply, because it is NOT a buyers market as some people would like it to or dream it to be. Of course you can always find a derelict boat at a bottom price just before it goes to the bottom. Recent second hand boats are hard to find and since the price of new boats has risen sharply, the price of recent second hand boats tends to go up. People who were shopping for a new boat realise they can not afford it and search for a recent second hand. In the coming years do not expect the market to change…
Sailing Hanse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2024, 12:20   #36

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron E View Post
Note to self: Don't go into the bright light

https://youtu.be/R83vTGt0vg8?si=CgYLmCUUezpSdks-&t=45
Old 14-06-2024, 13:45   #37
TPG

Boat: Admiral 40

Not for catamarans.
TPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2024, 13:52   #38
cdy

In Florida( used market) if the boat is in good shape , close to ready to go and has been somewhat updated - it may sell if priced right - what does not sell are older boats that need work - they are almost giveaways - but most can't afford that because keeping a boat in FL has gotten outrageously expensive, makes no sense to have a $5,000 boat in a slip that costs $600 /month ( or more). The middle class has just about been priced out of owning a sailboat in a slip in FL - got to go with a trailer sailor.
cdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2024, 15:52   #39

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy View Post
makes no sense to have a $5,000 boat in a slip that costs $600 /month ( or more).

At St. Petersburg Municipal Marina in Florida, there are a couple of 28 foot and under sections with a dozen or maybe two dozen boats that are so old and decrepit that they have no value.

For some mysterious reason, they have owners paying $400 a month to keep them there.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2024, 17:04   #40

Boat: Finnsailer 38

As an aside, do not believe any PR with regard to boat sales, boat show attendance, or the boating industry if the information gathering is sponsored by the industry. I'm a former industry professional who reported on the industry for years and managed a boat show program of around 25 shows a year, and no matter what we were actually experiencing on the ground every show report was glowing attendance and sales. Most of the companies in the industry are very small, and many are privately held so there is very little real information aside from boating registrations and documentation numbers from year to year.
Old 14-06-2024, 17:47   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I should take some photo's of our local marina....you'll see empty slip after empty slip...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2024, 21:30   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I should take some photo's of our local marina....you'll see empty slip after empty slip...
And around here, waiting lists are years long - literally years.
Foswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2024, 04:54   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
According to the Wall Street Journal, It's a Buyers Market for Boats, RVs and Other Pandemic Toys.

Totally anecdotal, but lots of nice used boats for sale in my boatyard and a bunch of people aging out of boating are just giving them away. In some cases, literally donating them to others.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...ys/ar-BB1nNEKn
How do I go about getting one of those free or heavily discounted boat deals?
rihardd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2024, 05:06   #44

Boat: Volkscruiser

Rihhard I get offered or hear of deals all the time. I am yet to except anyone of them. Even if they throw in $5000 I still wouldn't want some of them. Mainly because if you get stuck with a lemon then it's your moral obligation to dispose of the boat properly. Plenty of people just abandon the boat on anchor and let it become the government's problem. Disposing of a boat can easily cost thousands of dollars.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2024, 05:15   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I can see 27 empty slips from where I sit right now having my morning coffee.