Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2010, 11:59   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkdoyle View Post
... I was aleady quite impresses with her courage when i actually read her book ...
Wow! A (probably ghost written) auto-biography that presents a flattering picture of the subject. What an inconceivable oddity.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 12:12   #62

Boat: Seafarer 26
Well you would be wrong. She wrote it herself. Insisted on it
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 12:25   #63
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
My wife and I followed Jessica's blog, and bought her book. The writing is the same, and clearly by Jessica.

Have you seen this awesome photo?

Jessica is keeping busy! Good for you little girl! Gearing Up For a Different Sort of Christmas!
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 12:41   #64

Apparently that little trip into Sidney harbor didn't bother her. I'd have been looking around for a chopper and rescue swimmer.

I'm frankly intimidated by her.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 13:05   #65
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Wow! A (probably ghost written) auto-biography that presents a flattering picture of the subject. What an inconceivable oddity.
Do youhave any evidence for that statement - Any?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 13:23   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Do you have any evidence for that statement - Any?
I have no direct or prima facie evidence for my opinion that True Spirit is Jessica Watson's story, not entirely in her own words; thus it remains merely my unsupported opinion, like the overwhelming majority of those posted on the CF.
Unlike many other unsupported opinions expressed herein, I used the adverb "probably".
I'll withdraw the proposition that the book was probably ghost-written.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 13:38   #67
RTB

The writing in the book "feels" the same as the writing in her blog. Also, written interviews with her, as well as live interviews, give me the feel that everything is from the same person. But hey, I'm easy. Think what you may, she *IS* a very special young sailor. Stay tuned, there will be much more from her!
Old 21-12-2010, 14:18   #68

I followed Jessica's blog during her voyage. Her posts were plainly spontaneous first person accounts, timely posted with little opportunity for third party polishing or editing. What struck me most about them was both her insight and, more importantly, her matter of fact, self-deprecating attitude which was consistent with the best writing of some of the most legendary solo circumnavigators. I believe she is a truly talented writer, at least when it concerns the personal experience of her circumnavigation. It is indisputable that she overcame severe and at times extreme conditions. She related it all with remarkable humility, grace and class.

I have not read her book yet. I can imagine that it was professionally polished, edited, and maybe outlined and organized. However, unless her editor is an idiot, the style and substance of the account is all genuine and extraordinary Jessica.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 14:36   #69
RTB

Part one of the book was the most interesting to me. It covered her life leading up to her casting off.

The rest of the book gives a more detailed account of what was going on during each blog and video.
Old 21-12-2010, 14:59   #70

Boat: Seafarer 26
Have to agree with you on that count. She shared an enormous part of herself that surprised me. It was not the greatest literary work by any means but was a very honest and surprising account of what led up to her journey.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 19:14   #71

Quote:
I have no direct or prima facie evidence for my opinion that True Spirit is Jessica Watson's story, not entirely in her own words; thus it remains merely my unsupported opinion, like the overwhelming majority of those posted on the CF.
Unlike many other unsupported opinions expressed herein, I used the adverb "probably".
I'll withdraw the proposition that the book was probably ghost-written.
Monday 11 May: Drama sailing youngestround.com to Brisbane

That was written and posted before she met Andrew Fraser of 5 Oceans Media, before the Hachette Australia book deal. Just Jess, in the same voice as the book.

Actually compare with p.40 of the book. Any editing is very light indeed.
Noztradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 19:53   #72

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Thumbs up

Quote:
Yes I agree that you should withdraw that comment -and have.

I watched her interview when welcomed on her return to Sydney by the then (since deposed by his own party) Australian prime minister trying to hang off her coatails she responded by directly & politely disagreeing with one of his comments. She is an incredibly focused and capable young woman and nobodys fool. Many including GordMay have underestimated her.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 22:46   #73

GordMay have you read True Spirit?
Coot's Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 22:58   #74

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Gord,

Quote:
I think we can add JW to the list of topics, like the Rocna soft bottom miracle anchor and mono/multi-hulls. Unless you are a devout and unquestioning fanatic with fire in your heart and undying fervor in your chest you have to be keelhauled

Better not to offer your opinion

-Sven
Old 21-12-2010, 23:59   #75
RTB

There are 1299 posts on her thread at SA. They are even voting for her as National Geographic Adventurer of the Year. You can vote for her here Gord....Vote for the People's Choice Adventurer of the Year -- National Geographic

I figure she's got it goin on, if the SA crowd loves her. (because they are NEVER nice to anyone)

Merry Christmas Gord. You can't be right *all* the time.

Ralph

Tags
jessica watson