Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 08:24   #436

Boat: Seafarer 30 Impetuous
I have a question related to the survivability / "waterproofness" of important equipment such as the wind generators, and solar panels.

I realize they function in the rain, without problem, but how about when they are totally immersed in salt water for a period of 10 seconds or more, which is what likley happed during some of Jessica's more serious knockdowns.

I would think that this would fry them, if they are not ripped off or broken by the water. I assume her's made it through Ok, as I haven't read about a loss of ability to make electricity.

Anyone have insight and / or experience as to what they can take, given today's reliance on electricity for navigation, communication, etc?
Old 05-02-2010, 09:39   #437

Antipodes are the end points of an earth diameter. The rules do not require you to cross antipodes. The conventional Robin Knox-Johnson type rules require:

1. Depart and return to the same port.

2. Cross the equator (x 2).

3. Pass through all lines of longitude; and

4. Round Capes Horn, Good Hope (Algulhas), and Leeuwin. You need not round Tasmania or New Zealand - running the Bass Strait is permitted.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
Old 05-02-2010, 10:09   #438
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeaster View Post
I have a question related to the survivability / "waterproofness" of important equipment such as the wind generators, and solar panels.

I realize they function in the rain, without problem, but how about when they are totally immersed in salt water for a period of 10 seconds or more, which is what likley happed during some of Jessica's more serious knockdowns.
Solar panels typically ok with a (short) dunking,

Wind generators typically not, but some models are better sealed than others.

Don't ask me how I know
Old 05-02-2010, 11:24   #439

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
Antipodes are the end points of an earth diameter. The rules do not require you to cross antipodes.
Since there are no Rules that is an accurate statement.

However ... crossing two antipodes was indeed an accepted and indisputable definition of a circumnavigation when the first records were set.

What Is Solo Circumnavigation

and from What is a True Circumnavigation? :

Quote:
'[A] true circumnavigation of the world ... where the track passes over 2 points antipodal to each other ... a circumnavigation where the vessel passes through two points on the earth's surface which are diametrically opposite each other ...'
Sir Francis Chichester, Gipsy Moth Circles the World, 1967.

THE FIRST CIRCUMNAVIGATION OF THE GLOBE passing through antipodal points was completed in 1522 by 18 members of Ferdinand Magellan’s expedition to find a route to the Spice Islands by sailing west. Magellan himself was killed en route on the island of Mactan in present day Philippines.
Those are just the first two hits when googling for "circumnavigation antipode"

-Sven
Old 05-02-2010, 12:37   #440

Yes, I should have said something like "The conventional Robin Knox-Johnson type "rules" do not require crossing antipodes."

Anyway, I think I fairly implied it. As far as I'm concerned a circumnavigation of Antarctica or a combined Northwest/Northeast Passage counts as a kind of circumnavigation. Magellan's crew would not have met the conventional Robin Knox-Johnson type "rules" because they did not round Cape Horn or Leeuwin. This standard was set by the London Sunday Times solo nonstop unassisted race in 1968, except that you no longer have to depart from and return to England.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
Old 05-02-2010, 15:53   #441

Boat: Sabre 28 Mk1 "Shaba"
Re Jesse Watson's wind charger. This is a a special model she chose herself, against the advice of DM. She has spare replacement blades, and also a complete spare unit. The info is all on this page. PWT - News & Views

Richard in Maryland
Old 09-02-2010, 23:33   #442

Boat: 44Ft Sloop
So am I right in thinking she has to cross the equator again?

If so, I wonder why she didn't do it as a part of the current leg since she went up to about 25S.

I suppose she must be considering doing it in the Indian Ocean.

Anyone got any thoughts on this? I can't get an answer from her shore crew.
Old 10-02-2010, 00:15   #443

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpex View Post
So am I right in thinking she has to cross the equator again?
No.

The convention which she is following does not require that. This was covered in posts 430, 433 and 437 of this thread. She has already crossed the equator twice as required (once going north, once going south).
Old 10-02-2010, 00:28   #444

Boat: 44Ft Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradix View Post
No.

The convention which she is following does not require that. This was covered in posts 430, 433 and 437 of this thread. She has already crossed the equator twice as required (once going north, once going south).
You're quite right, of course, but it doesn't seem to be quite cricket...as in the way Knox edicted, given he asserted one had to pass through opposites, and the tactic of doing a simple loop over the equator may give rise to a protest.

Given she went over the equator at around 156E, I would have thought she would have to cross again at 156W.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:50   #445

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Who's going to protest? There is nothing official about this since she is underage and the official recording bodies have disavowed such activities. She can do what she pleases and publish her books, etc., about her adventures as they actually occurred without having to worry about any form of official recognized sanction, etc. Many old sailors throughout history "set records" without the existence of any "official body" to set rules.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:09   #446
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well put, osirissail. And although the record-keeping body no longer supports the "youngest" records, Jessica (and Abby Sunderland, Mike Perham, Zac Sunderland, et al.) has chosen to adhere to the requirements established and accepted when there was an official element to the quest, so it's hard to take seriously any objections at this stage from those new to the whole concept. And, seemingly, puzzled by it.

TaoJones
Old 10-02-2010, 11:47   #447

The 'best' record in this context was the recognition that Magellan gets for the first circumnavigation when in fact he ,personally, only made it as far as Asia where his relentless prosletising got him killled.( Mr Sunderland please take note).
His pilot (whose name escapes me) completed the voyage for him, but is rarely credited .
Old 10-02-2010, 12:55   #448

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpex View Post
You're quite right, of course, but it doesn't seem to be quite cricket...as in the way Knox edicted, given he asserted one had to pass through opposites, and the tactic of doing a simple loop over the equator may give rise to a protest.
Sorry but that's just not correct.

Have another look at post 437. Those are the conventions Jessica is following, and they are the same as those used by Knox-Johnson, and also by the official record-keeping body the WSSRC (see post 430).
Old 10-02-2010, 13:08   #449

I would agree that paradix and TaoJones are saying this exactly right.

And just for discussion sake, consider the geometry involved:
First, to get back to the place you start, you have to cross the equator an even number of times. If there an odd number of crossings you end up in the other hemisphere from where you started.
And second, if you did set out to cross over two opposing points on the globe, they cannot both be on the same side of the equator. Any point in one hemisphere is opposite a point in the other hemisphere.

Jim
Old 10-02-2010, 13:47   #450

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
The conventional Robin Knox-Johnson type rules require:

1. Depart and return to the same port.

2. Cross the equator (x 2).

3. Pass through all lines of longitude; and

4. Round Capes Horn, Good Hope (Algulhas), and Leeuwin. You need not round Tasmania or New Zealand - running the Bass Strait is permitted.
Could you provide a reference for that in any way being attributed to Robin Knox-Johnson ?

While your point is moot since Jessica is not going after any official record it is appropriate that R-K-J be recognized for indeed rounding two antipodal points. I doubt Pink Lady's captain would want to deprive him of that recognition as she makes progress in her quest.

-Sven
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson, round the world