Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2010, 12:19   #751

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
It means that some of us (me included) find fault with whatever we disagree with.
It was an attempt to sugget that we should stop being pissed all the time.
Sorry if I ofended.
regards John
John, I took no offense, none in the least. I really just wanted to follow your thinking. Now I get it.
Old 15-05-2010, 12:37   #752

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenG View Post
Sorry, but I take great exception to refer to it as "crap", to do so is to demean all of those who have set or broken records.

I am squarely in the "official crap" camp. It wasn't and isn't about anything that fits the term "official". It stands on its own as a significant human achievement.

Some seem to want to critique her trip, and defend their critical position by saying the sponsors were mislead, as if they are now feeling somehow sorry for the sponsors, of all things.
  • Those who make this criticism of the voyage tend to be the very voices that are critical that she even has sponsors and PR firms. Now there's some irony.
  • I've seen no critical or disappointed view expressed by the sponsors themselves. Gatorade felt Tiger didn't hold up his end of their relationship and dropped him, end of discussion. That sort of thing isn't happening in Jessica's case.

I think the whole thing with Sail-World and their very late-in-the-game article is silly, and only demeaning to them. I didn't know who they were before they questioned the voyage, and I will certainly not become a follower now.

I am eager to follow and support the next significant example of great human achievement, and it will not be based on whether or not there is a self-declared official body that recognizes it for any purpose whatsoever.

Jim
~
Old 15-05-2010, 12:59   #753

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Jim,

I couldn't tell if you still recognize Jesse's record as standing or if you think it has now been "smashed" ?

-Sven
Old 15-05-2010, 13:12   #754

Before this all started I wasn't aware of Jesse's record. I had no basis to be concerned with it before, and i have none now. I fail to understand the idea of records in free-form endeavors. If records are important, then the person who holds them important is totally free to judge which ones they accept and which one they find fault with. I take it that you want to keep on recognizing some record you believe was properly claimed by Jesse Martin. I fully support your will and right to do so.

I DO NOT question, however, that Jessica Watson sailed around the world. And I find it a bizarre argument that anyone could suggest that she "would have sailed around the world" if only she had gone further up and then back down in the Pacific ocean.

~
Old 15-05-2010, 13:36   #755

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D View Post
Before this all started I wasn't aware of Jesse's record. I had no basis to be concerned with it before, and i have none now. I fail to understand the idea of records in free-form endeavors. If records are important, then the person who holds them important is totally free to judge which ones they accept and which one they find fault with. I take it that you want to keep on recognizing some record you believe was properly claimed by Jesse Martin. I fully support your will and right to do so.

I DO NOT question, however, that Jessica Watson sailed around the world. And I find it a bizarre argument that anyone could suggest that she "would have sailed around the world" if only she had gone further up and then back down in the Pacific ocean.

~
So we are actually in full agreement. See, that wasn't so hard

Thanks for the discussion.

-Sven
Old 15-05-2010, 16:48   #756

Boat: Seawind 1000XL "Crew Rest"
Well, we took Crew Rest for a sail yesterday and with timing constraints, chose to meet her offshore, about 5nm from Sydney Heads.

We're very glad we did! To see her and Ella's Pink Lady in their element coping with the sea and wind was just inspiring!!

After a big gust and rogue wave doused our two cameramen [and, very nearly, one of the camera's!?], we fled home downwind contemplating how to even cope with stuff two to three times as challenging. Our trip was 9.7hrs and she was coming home after 210 days.

Jessica is a heroine around here and good luck to her for the future!!!!

G'day
Old 15-05-2010, 17:11   #757

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Too cool! Dang, I am green with envy...you be posting those pictures soon perhaps
E
Old 15-05-2010, 17:22   #758

As far as I’m concerned, which of course matters not at all, she sailed around the world. In the end Mike Pernham and Jesse Martin were literally onboard. Having the respect of your peers counts for something. It might be different if she sailed around slick as you please, but she didn’t. 7 knockdowns and a complete capsize count for something too. The girl saved the boat and the boat saved the girl. Together they were unbreakable, and the girl sailed her boat around the world.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
Old 15-05-2010, 17:36   #759

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coot's Away View Post
So who did the tv and radio shows name as being duped by Jess, and who was involved in the conversation at the Manly QLD marina?
The tv shows to bag her where the ones that lost out on the interview 7s Today tonight it was not much more than the greeen eyed monster, she did not stay above the equator long enough to be considered for the record.
Also her age she was too young.
The average Australian is at least happy for her making such a huge achievement.

Old 15-05-2010, 18:26   #760

Boat: Open 8 Sofa
Quote:
Originally Posted by sctpc View Post
The tv shows to bag her where the ones that lost out on the interview 7s Today tonight it was not much more than the greeen eyed monster, she did not stay above the equator long enough to be considered for the record.
Also her age she was too young.
Yes, I think all agree with the WSSSRC that she was too young to be the youngest person to sail around the world. Only an older person can truly be the youngest...

Regarding the media, it is inevitable that if someone signs an exclusive deal with one franchise such as Murdoch then the excluded publications will seek their own angle on the story, and not being party to the insider gen it will inevitably be a negative angle in which they try to diminish the value of their competitors scoop. This always happens, it's about cut throat competition between media empires in which the people in the news are just cannon fodder. If Jessica's team didn't realise that the knives would come out as soon as they signed an exclusive deal with Murdoch, they need a reality check. Even national governments quake before such media machinations and will alter legislative programmes rather than risk being bad-mouthed by a major media organisation! (That happens in the UK anyhow.) If you take the dirty money you must pay the price of being held up simultaneously as a hero and the most evil person alive. At least they are not sayng "Jessica ate my baby" (although there is a squid out there who could legitimately claim this!)
Old 15-05-2010, 22:15   #761

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36
Just watched the videos, amazing, wish I could have been there. Good on ya Jess.
Old 15-05-2010, 22:29   #762

Boat: 44Ft Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
Just watched the videos, amazing, wish I could have been there. Good on ya Jess.
The bummer of her finally finishing is....I need a new hero.
Old 15-05-2010, 22:45   #763

Boat: 44Ft Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D View Post

~
Maybe she didn't, just like Armstrong and Aldrin never went to the moon.

Seriously, though. The general argument is based on the fact that the original and many subsequent RTW voyages began and ended in England. Thus, by necessity crossing the equator twice....a 24,000 mile MOL trip.

So she didn't recross the equator again between Sth America and Africa. So what? She was at sea for 210 days and did around 23,000 miles. That's way good enough for me.....and her.:--))))
Old 16-05-2010, 02:13   #764

Boat: Duncanson 34
So What?---- Her advisers stuffed up!
Old 16-05-2010, 03:23   #765
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
She crossed the equator exactly the same amount of times as knox johnson - cottee - martin etc etc.
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson, round the world