Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2010, 00:50   #1

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Jester Challenge

Anybody following the race? The Jester Challenge 2010

Also, what do you think about the rules. No fee, no regulations, no inspections ... but you do have to be 18 at the start.

Lot of boats on the list that many wouldn't think of as Water boats">blue water boats. And you have to just love Rory McDougall and his Wharram Tiki 21 "Cooking Fat" and to think he circumnavigated in it over 10 years ago. An amazing guy and boat.
Old 29-06-2010, 08:12   #2

jester challenge

well done to Rory mcdougall in the tiki 21 "Cooking Fat" for completing the transatlantic jester challenge. Not 2nd as its not a race but arrived in first 2.
see here:JC 2010 Entry List
homepage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 11:28   #3

Boat: B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Anybody following the race? The Jester Challenge 2010
They’ve been on my links for some time… the big races (Volvo, Vendee, whatever…) are superbly impressive with all their technology, world class crews and mega-buck pageantry, but the Jester group is one I can relate to on a more individual level… not just appreciate or venerate from afar -- and remember, the big ones grew from "here..." (well, sorta...)
Old 30-06-2010, 02:28   #4

Boat: Swan 56
I took a look at the home page and thought "What a great event - handing responsibility back to the skipper, I wish RORC and ISAF would do the same" (this is a particular peeve of mine since I cannot afford to race offshore due to their nannying)

Then I looked at the progress of the boats.....if progress is the right word.......24 entries, 3 finished, half the fleet retired with gear failure, a man overboard, another rescued etc etc...

Not exactly a sucessfull "modern experiment in old-fashioned self-reliance, self-sufficiency and personal responsibility" by "old-fashioned, proper seaman" is it?

I do get their motive completely, but I don't think that the organisers will be sitting back and thinking "that went well didn't it".
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote