Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2023, 15:21   #31

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Karen picking on boat names!

Article 19
Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

Seem to be getting to be more and more folks about who disagree with the above these days.
Old 26-05-2023, 17:02   #32
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Why don't I have the right to tell everyone on the forum to FO. Because that would be offensive and frankly mean. Our forum rules forbid derogatory and insulting speech, and we understand from experience in society where those lines are. You don't swear on the street, in a restaurant, or at strangers. This is not so complicated.

Why play such a silly game?
Old 26-05-2023, 18:18   #33
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Why don't I have the right to tell everyone on the forum to FO. Because that would be offensive and frankly mean. Our forum rules forbid derogatory and insulting speech, and we understand from experience in society where those lines are. You don't swear on the street, in a restaurant, or at strangers. This is not so complicated.

Why play such a silly game?
the thing is that once you start hanging out with people from other countries, even the ones that use the same language as you, you find out you do not understand the words rules
Old 26-05-2023, 18:42   #34

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Sure ... but that's not what the anecdote in question said -- nowhere near as clear cut as your example Thin. If it was, I don't think there would be much debate.

That's the challenge with this stuff; the real world is mostly grey. But too many of us (an increasing number, I suggest) can only see in black & white/right & wrong/good & bad.

Maybe, as my deceased countryman once said: "the medium is the message." The medium is computer. Maybe the binary world of the machine has infected our analog thinking so that we can only see in 0 or 1.
Old 26-05-2023, 23:53   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Maybe the binary world of the machine has infected our analog thinking so that we can only see in 0 or 1.

More like group think and social identity are pushing us towards a binary state.

Bubble mentality is enabled by social networks that affect the way people view and interpret data. It's easier now than ever to find a club that thinks like you and reinforces your opinions, and proving one's membership is as simple as stereotyping the other side.
Old 27-05-2023, 01:20   #36

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Just so you can be clear in what the issue was here in Tasmania.

“She said she was particularly offended by names such as Himalayan Women, on a boat which is believed to be for sale, Screaming Seamen, and Big Black Cock, and described them as being loaded with misogyny and sexism.”
Old 27-05-2023, 01:43   #37

Boat: X442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post

“She said she was particularly offended by names such as Himalayan Women, on a boat which is believed to be for sale, Screaming Seamen, and Big Black Cock, and described them as being loaded with misogyny and sexism.”
The BBC name is truly offensive though. In MY opinion very much on the wrong side of acceptable, but who cares about my opinion?

It is indeed sad for any boat to have such a name so that is one thing, but what does it say about the owner? It might be haha with your, presumably, few mates but I for one would not have such a person high on my list of potential friends. And then how about incorporating that name into a Mayday call, it might even effect the immediacy of the assistance provided. Mayday relay anyone?

So, very poorly thought through, something that should fade post teens but clearly not for some.
Old 27-05-2023, 03:06   #38

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinSdL View Post
The BBC name is truly offensive though. In MY opinion very much on the wrong side of acceptable, but who cares about my opinion?

It is indeed sad for any boat to have such a name so that is one thing, but what does it say about the owner? It might be haha with your, presumably, few mates but I for one would not have such a person high on my list of potential friends. And then how about incorporating that name into a Mayday call, it might even effect the immediacy of the assistance provided. Mayday relay anyone?

So, very poorly thought through, something that should fade post teens but clearly not for some.
Please, can you tell me how you arrived at the conclusion highlighted from the post quoted below?

Quote:

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 27-05-2023, 03:22   #39

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:

Sounds like a case of blatant misandry.
Old 27-05-2023, 03:27   #40

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Speaking on behalf of my friends in the Nepalese Ladies Sailing Association - they find it quite strange that a person with such a suggestive name as 'Kitty' should take issue with the name of their yacht.

Likewise some other boating friends who won a first at the Royal Melbourne Agricultural Show last year with their Ayam Cemani rooster are wondering what is going on in this woman's head.
Old 27-05-2023, 03:31   #41

Boat: Westerly Sealord

'Screaming Seamen' sounds like the third part of 'rum, sodomy, and the lash'. Did I miss something here?
Old 27-05-2023, 03:32   #42

Boat: X442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Please, can you tell me how you arrived at the conclusion highlighted from the post quoted below?
Uncle Bob, not sure how to clarify further. BBC is the abbreviation of the name in question and I presume the name giver (for the avoidance of doubt not the poster if that is who you thought I was referring to) must have had some fun, presumably with his mates, as in "Dude! Look what name I gave to my boat!" Lol, etc. Of course I did assume he had some mates. If not then the whole thing is just bizarre.
Old 27-05-2023, 08:09   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Curious to know where does this term " Karen" derives from. I often hear it these days with reference to a woman complaining about one thing or another... ???
Old 27-05-2023, 08:30   #44
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Karen picking on boat names!

Although its exact origins are uncertain, the meme became popular a few years ago as a way for people of colour, particularly black Americans, to satirise the class-based and racially charged hostility they often face.
The real Karen are in Northern India, Myanmar and Thailand......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	962add976e602625ebb271f76f4baae1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	275903  

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 27-05-2023, 09:45   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

interesting......this term "afro-american" also stymies me... you never hear " french-american.....german american, etc, etc...
Africa is a huge continent with some 50 odd countries therein and countless ethnic languages......you'd think it might be Nigerian American....Ghana America, etc...but no...it's "African American"....Egyptians get to escape this being known simply as Egyptians even though they too are part of Africa.
Ah well......
Closed Thread

Tags
boat, boat names