Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 09:11   #496

Boat: Marshall 22
Re: Laura Dekker's Circumnavigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Now I'm confused. Isn't conservative values just a PC term for personal biases?
I don't know about it being PC, but yes, when you say someone has "conservative values", you are saying something about his personal biases.

My point is this: your claim that cruising is inconsistent with conservatism is really just about your own bigotry, and not really a fact about conservatism at all.

Look, not that it is relevant in the least, but you may be interested in the fact that I do not consider myself to be conservative. I comment only because I think that what you said was simply a matter of prejudice. There is no clear connection between political opinions and sailing lifestyle and I'm sure that many conservatives have had long experiences in foreign lands.

Quote:
Back on topic, Laura and remaining crew left San Cristobal this morning, next stop the Marquesas, currently running at 2 kt, which is fine by her as she declared she would not be going as fast this time around.
By all means, pretend that you are interested in staying on-topic just as soon as your opinion is criticized.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:16   #497

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
not really, just based on 50 years of traveling this globe. people of the sea, regardless of cultures, tend to have a "live and let live" attitude, at least more than land based folks, imho. often saw hindi and muslim sailors getting along real well in the bay of bengal while their landsfolks were killing each other. similar experiences in other parts of the globe. obviously not talking about "yachties" nor weekend sailors but those who cruise as a lifestyle; not dabblers in the sea, which are basically landsmen who sometimes get their toes wet. laura is a real seaperson who probably will continue to offend very conservative soil based humans. good for her!
Right. No biases there.

Look, conservatism is a very broad political term, and it includes (in certain respects) the very libertarian values that you are discussing.

Don't confuse conservatism with racism or jingoism, okay? And stop pretending that Laura's cruising lifestyle is an affront to conservatives.

If you can't see that this is offensive prejudice on your part, I'm not sure what I can say.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:30   #498

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I don't know about it being PC, but yes, when you say someone has "conservative values", you are saying something about his personal biases.

My point is this: your claim that cruising is inconsistent with conservatism is really just about your own bigotry, and not really a fact about conservatism at all.

Look, not that it is relevant in the least, but you may be interested in the fact that I do not consider myself to be conservative. I comment only because I think that what you said was simply a matter of prejudice. There is no clear connection between political opinions and sailing lifestyle and I'm sure that many conservatives have had long experiences in foreign lands.

By all means, pretend that you are interested in staying on-topic just as soon as your opinion is criticized.
I know I shouldn't go there, but you might have me confused with another poster. Just so your clear as to where my head is at, here goes...

A liberal doesn't care how another chooses their values, a conservative insists that his values be shared by others. Case in point, a liberal doesn't care who you marry. A conservative wants laws prohibiting any union that they deem as wrong. A liberal doesn't care about the choices a woman might make as to their reproductive freedoms, and again the conservative wants 1/2 (female side) the population to abide by their values.

Now, how this applies to cruising or Laura, I haven't a clue, but I'm rather certain I didn't steer it in that direction.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:01   #499

Quote:
I know I shouldn't go there, but you might have me confused with another poster. Just so your clear as to where my head is at, here goes...

A liberal doesn't care how another chooses their values, a conservative insists that his values be shared by others.
Well, right there's your problem.

That's certainly a characteristic of some conservatives (as well as some liberals), but it is not a defining feature. And it surely does not entail that conservatives are averse to world travel, whether by boat or other means.

Pure prejudice, on your part.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:03   #500

Quote:
I know I shouldn't go there, but you might have me confused with another poster.

Now, how this applies to cruising or Laura, I haven't a clue, but I'm rather certain I didn't steer it in that direction.
Quite right that I confused you with another poster and that you weren't responsible for the thread drift. Sorry for that.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:06   #501

Quote:

A liberal doesn't care how another chooses their values, a conservative insists that his values be shared by others. Case in point, a liberal doesn't care who you marry. A conservative wants laws prohibiting any union that they deem as wrong. A liberal doesn't care about the choices a woman might make as to their reproductive freedoms, and again the conservative wants 1/2 (female side) the population to abide by their values.

ok. i will sign off this topic. lets just say laura's life is non traditional and has upset a lot of folks not only in her home country, but around the world. however, her seafaring lifestyle has many supporters. as far as liberals being pro choice, that is bull. liberals are a blood thirsty lot. they would deny freedoms to: guns, letting people live in segregated communities, preventing religious education in schools, and have staged bloody revolutions in the past(ussr, france, and of course the war of northern aggression). liberals also are firmly convinced other cultures dont measure up and would go to war with them if allowed to. bye bye.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:18   #502

And with that, we now drop the political and return to our normal (not to be confused with the organization to reform pot laws) programming. A future Laura in the making, niece of our own GeoPowers, aboard his boat. How is that for steering? Both the boat and this thread. lol
Old 02-06-2012, 10:23   #503
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Oh oh! Don't let Sidmon see this. She's got her eyes glued to the evil chartplotter!
Old 02-06-2012, 10:26   #504

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
ok. i will sign off this topic. lets just say laura's life is non traditional and has upset a lot of folks not only in her home country, but around the world. however, her seafaring lifestyle has many supporters. as far as liberals being pro choice, that is bull. liberals are a blood thirsty lot. they would deny freedoms to: guns, letting people live in segregated communities, preventing religious education in schools, and have staged bloody revolutions in the past(ussr, france, and of course the war of northern aggression). liberals also are firmly convinced other cultures dont measure up and would go to war with them if allowed to. bye bye.
Well, you don't hold back on opinions.

Liberals have a tendency to be too politically correct, and SOME conservatives think that religion needs to be interspersed with a conservative outlook, which is why many can not fathom a libertarian point of view.

I've been accused of being right of Attila the Hun, but let us inject a bit of realism into this whole thing.

Laura has already proven herself. She is now maturing even more. Moralists, and those that think they should be, need to take a big breath. I would be proud to have my daughter have done what Laura did when she was that age. And my daughter turned out just right.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:32   #505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Oh oh! Don't let Sidmon see this. She's got her eyes glued to the evil chartplotter!
I was informed that she did in fact have a target on land she was keeping the heading on, and of course the compass.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:44   #506

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Laura has never lived in a home on land
That's not true.
Hammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:56   #507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
That's not true.
Share what you know, that is how we learn. MacG was a neighbor of her and her dad in Wijk bij Duurstede. Her sister lives with her mom in Germany and Laura, till age 14 lived with her dad. From what I've been told she lived on his boat until a friend loaned her the Hurley 700, then she moved on to it next to her dad's boat. Then when she got her Hurley 800, lived on it.

Care to fill in the gaps Hammond, since all of your posts on CF have been on this thread? It is obvious you probably know Laura firsthand, so become a contributor to the proper recording of her history.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:43   #508

Quote:
Her sister lives with her mom in Germany and Laura, till age 14 lived with her dad. From what I've been told she lived on his boat until a friend loaned her the Hurley 700, then she moved on to it next to her dad's boat. Then when she got her Hurley 800, lived on it.
No. Laura lived in a house with her parents in the city of L. in the Netherlands (after her parent's circumnavigation). Please read Laura's first book.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:57   #509

I thought her first book was released only in Dutch. I just checked Amazon and Barnes&Noble, no luck finding her first book.
Old 02-06-2012, 13:40   #510

Quote:
I thought her first book was released only in Dutch. I just checked Amazon and Barnes&Noble, no luck finding her first book.
Right. It's not available in English.

Uitgeverij de Alk:Zeilmeisje Laura Dekker

Tags
circumnavigation