Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2012, 07:25   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll
here are a few more old photos
Looking good.....can't wait to see her sailing
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
NYCSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 07:28   #137

On a side note, do you like the dark panelling?

To be honest, I've never been a big fan of dark colours inside a boat
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 24-10-2012, 12:22   #138
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: MacWester 26 and the 'hina-ous' Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSavage View Post
On a side note, do you like the dark panelling?

To be honest, I've never been a big fan of dark colours inside a boat
makes my blond girlfriends seem blonder,and my black girlfriends you really notice the eyes and teeth
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:38   #139
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

well the days are getting a lot shorter,but the work is progressing,
hina is now along side waiting for the next mlws,so i can do the skinfittings for the toilet and galley.

apart from that the shower sump pump and box is installed.
the fresh water system is ready to be hooked up.
toilet compartment is more or less finished.

also i discovered i have a fwd cabin,and 2 quarter berths after taking 2 carloads of off-cuts ,assorted junk off the boat and a massive clean up!

started on the after port quarter berth,cutting out the front of the old laminated in locker above the berth,discovered some exploded tins of rice pudding......nice.

also,unfortunately the kids will not be getting any christmas presents as with a tip off from "pete7",
i ended up buying a new big sail for salamandra at a fraction of its cost.......and also 2 genoas and a mainsail for hina.......the joys of ebay!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plumbing 001.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	425.1 KB
ID:	49419   Click image for larger version

Name:	plumbing 004.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	433.4 KB
ID:	49420  

Name:	plumbing 006.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	419.6 KB
ID:	49421   Click image for larger version

Name:	plumbing 007.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	422.3 KB
ID:	49422  

Name:	plumbing 009.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	423.8 KB
ID:	49423   Click image for larger version

Name:	plumbing 010.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	419.8 KB
ID:	49424  

Old 08-11-2012, 12:22   #140
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmastern View Post
That's a pretty small boat to fit a shower in. I'm waiting to see how that works.

It may give me some ideas.

Looking good so far!

here it is more or less finished,just got to build the wood burner over the winter for the sauna!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	plumbing 002.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	401.0 KB
ID:	49425   Click image for larger version

Name:	plumbing 003.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	49426  

Name:	toilet3 001.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	403.0 KB
ID:	49427   Click image for larger version

Name:	toilet3 005.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	401.7 KB
ID:	49428  

Name:	toilet october 014.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	429.9 KB
ID:	49429   Click image for larger version

Name:	toilet october 020.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	432.4 KB
ID:	49430  

Old 08-11-2012, 15:37   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
here it is more or less finished,just got to build the wood burner over the winter for the sauna!
So when will she be doing the World tour?
Old 08-11-2012, 15:42   #142
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSavage View Post
So when will she be doing the World tour?
ha ha! she is just a livabord for my daughter for when we head off on the on the third circumnavigation on the 63 footer.

though may take her to the illes of scilly next year for the kids summer holidays
Old 08-11-2012, 18:54   #143

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

This just keeps looking better and better!

You have definitely got me wanting to add a shower to my Nomad now.
I'm thinking about just gel coating the entire area between the galley and v-berth. The sump would fit between both areas, (head and hanging locker) and two doors would close it off nicely.

I could also add an extra water tank in the hanging locker across from the head, and put in a propane water heater like this one:
Marey Portable LP Tankless Water Heater

Then I could plumb it in to have a hot water source for the shower and the galley when a solar water heater isn't practical, or possible (cold, cloudy, etc.).

That's why I love this forum, so many good ideas, and advice!
Old 09-11-2012, 03:50   #144
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
This just keeps looking better and better!

You have definitely got me wanting to add a shower to my Nomad now.
I'm thinking about just gel coating the entire area between the galley and v-berth. The sump would fit between both areas, (head and hanging locker) and two doors would close it off nicely.

I could also add an extra water tank in the hanging locker across from the head, and put in a propane water heater like this one:
Marey Portable LP Tankless Water Heater

Then I could plumb it in to have a hot water source for the shower and the galley when a solar water heater isn't practical, or possible (cold, cloudy, etc.).

That's why I love this forum, so many good ideas, and advice!
in your case as gelcoat is such a pita to work with,i would only use it for the shower floor and toilet base areas where layers of fiberglass are needed to creat a watertight area.
above that for walls and doors etc it is much easier to use an epoxy primer,then topcoat with two pack polyeurathane.

the only reason i gelcoated the whole shower was because i had a lot of resin left over from other jobs,and the majority of the panels,floors and door i prefabricated in my work shop,using gelcoat and tissue is a real challange in a small space,but ideal to use laid flat in a workshop.

i am very wary about using propane appliances inside the boat,butane would be a lot safer,being lighter than air,one also has to ask how important is having hot water in your climate.

on hina i will be fitting a 9gallon calorifier,with a loop to the engine and a 2kw immersion element.

on salamandra all we have is a 4 gallon under sink 240v 2kw waterheater that works well with shore power and off the genset.

sailing in the tropics we only had cold water for showers.
if hot water was desired we used a solar shower or boiled water,then used a bucket and cup in the shower.
generally salt water showers on deck were de'riguer.

where hina is she has shore power,water and internet,but no facilities,hence the need for heating and shower/ toilet,and the ability to be self contained power wise for weekend trips away from the dock.

primarily the intention for her is to provide somewhere cheap for my daughter to live in the uk once we head off for warmer climes in the big boat
if i have time i may find another bilge keeler for my son as well and do a simmilar fit out.

student accomodation in the uk is very expensive so being on an island surrounded by water having a self contained,mobile boat is a definite bonus for a youngster........and i won't feel guilty sitting in the caribbean on salamandra having abandoned my children
Old 09-11-2012, 09:33   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post

primarily the intention for her is to provide somewhere cheap for my daughter to live in the uk once we head off for warmer climes in the big boat
if i have time i may find another bilge keeler for my son as well and do a simmilar fit out.
Wanna adopt me?
Old 13-11-2012, 17:46   #146

Thanks for the advice on the gelcoat. I'll do what you said with the epoxy and polyurethane coating on the other surfaces.

I'm probably going to buy some 4'x8' fiberglass panels from Home Depot to cut down and use as cover panels for plumbing that I want to keep hidden. At $35 per sheet, it will save me the hassle of making them myself.

As far as the hot water goes, I do plan on cruising in some cooler areas in the NE part of the US, as well as up into Canada, so there are times I will want some warm water, and the on-demand system will work for those times, especially if I'm at anchor with no shore power. Other times we will be using a solar shower/sprayer in the cockpit.

I'll look into using butane, but propane is cheap and easy to come by here, and I was going to use it for the stove anyway.

I'm still getting the placement of the plumbing worked out, and since there never was a holding tank, I need to fit one in somewhere.

Lots of fun! (At least until the actual work starts!)
Old 13-11-2012, 18:02   #147
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks for the advice on the gelcoat. I'll do what you said with the epoxy and polyurethane coating on the other surfaces.

I'm probably going to buy some 4'x8' fiberglass panels from Home Depot to cut down and use as cover panels for plumbing that I want to keep hidden. At $35 per sheet, it will save me the hassle of making them myself.

As far as the hot water goes, I do plan on cruising in some cooler areas in the NE part of the US, as well as up into Canada, so there are times I will want some warm water, and the on-demand system will work for those times, especially if I'm at anchor with no shore power. Other times we will be using a solar shower/sprayer in the cockpit.

I'll look into using butane, but propane is cheap and easy to come by here, and I was going to use it for the stove anyway.

I'm still getting the placement of the plumbing worked out, and since there never was a holding tank, I need to fit one in somewhere.

Lots of fun! (At least until the actual work starts!)
get yourself some composite jigsaw cutting blades, they last way longer than normal blades for cutting fiberglass.
using 5200 or sika flex to cover the joins gives a nice water proof finish.

here is a photo of my new sails i got this week off of ebay
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sails 005.jpg
Views:	880
Size:	427.2 KB
ID:	49685  
Old 13-11-2012, 19:36   #148

I just looked back at the old pictures of when you first got her, and now, all I can say is WOW!

She looks like a new boat! Great work!
Old 18-11-2012, 10:33   #149

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

I like the head/shower arrangement. My old head was about 60 inches wide with a vanity and the head off to one side. You could stand up in it for a regular shower. But having removed all the interior, the new head compartment will be about 33 inches wide, So the vanity is gone, but the way you put your compartment together will be the way I'll do mine. I picked up a new 11 gallon calorifier last winter, and as with yours will be plumbing it to my Beta 38.

Nice work you are doing there, but I still gaze in wonder at that narrow passage to the forepeak. Must be nice to be a little guy.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 18:12   #150
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

most of the quarter berth paneling is now complete,and the base for the water tank in the engine space is glassed in.

also fitted the tracks for the jib runners,so sailing is now possable,just need to buy some reefing lines and jib sheets

blew the last of the kitty on some very nicely upholstered matteras's from a malo 39 for the fore cabin and quarter berths ,that will require minimum alteration

i will be packing up next week for a couple of months,as i will be back in hungary till january building snowmen..................
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SDC10072.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	409.4 KB
ID:	50459   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10070.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	395.0 KB
ID:	50460  

Name:	SDC10069.jpg